[Honest Review] Yokohama Earth 1 Tyres: Really Designed For India

Installed Yoko Earth 1 on my Hyundai Accent Executive.
the stock BS has worn out almost completely.
seeing the positive comments here, decided to try Yoko.
I'm already feeling increase in smoothness. not sure if its the Yoko or its psychological after reading the reviews.
Will review again after 10K Kms.

thanks to the group members

Completed 5000 km with yokohama earth 1 tyres on i20. After completing 49000 with stock apollo tyres, Yokohama tyres are bit hard for ride quality as compared to stock apollo but on the plus side very less punctures even after driving on bad roads most of the time. Steering has become light and noise at 100 km/hr is also less. Dealer told repeatedly that they will be good for even 60000 km. I think they might because they have a bit harder rubber as compared to apollo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Completed 5000 km with yokohama earth 1 tyres on i20. After completing 49000 with stock apollo tyres, Yokohama tyres are bit hard for ride quality as compared to stock apollo but on the plus side very less punctures even after driving on bad roads most of the time. Steering has become light and noise at 100 km/hr is also less. Dealer told repeatedly that they will be good for even 60000 km. I think they might because they have a bit harder rubber as compared to apollo.
+1 and yes Yokos are bit hard in highways, but the way they handle pot-holes I don't think many other branded tires do that (Not including hard compound tires),

My Yokos has done 32000 after installing, yes there are punctures but the grip hasn't even weared a bit.

@bhvm,
How are your Earth 1s doing now? My stock Good Year Assurance tyres are just 1 mm above wear indicator mark and also front tires worn out more on the outer edges. Adding to this, braking confidence has greatly reduced now and ABS kicks in for even the slightest amount of mud/sand in roads.
From my inquires in few shops, Earth 1 is on the top of my list, primarily due to its VFM pricing. I am sticking with stock size (175/65 R14) as one shop guy said my 5 inch rims can't handle more than 175 (typical R14 rims are 5.5 inches).

Yoko Earth 1 - Rs 4300 offline (4100 online)
Continental CC5 - Rs 5000 offline (4700 online)
Michelin XM2 - Rs 4900 online (4850 online)

Note: Online sellers promise May 2018 + manufactured tires.

Thread Starter #65

bhvm

Honoured Member
they're holding well. although my use has dropped a lot and I've not made any long runs with blue boy recently.

My brio started developing issues with shock absorbers one after the other after I changed to Earth 1, but I am not sure I can attribute this to tyres alone, the car is driven very rarely now and its almost 6 years old.

Braking is fantastic. Even at 130+. City braking is actually too sharp. You have to be careful of close tailgaters. I guess thats the way i10 brakes are.
I recently drove a zoomcar i10 and I felt the same about braking. If you are not used to it the brake-bite is scary. The Zoomcar guy said its very normal for Hyundai cars and especially for i10.

Thread Starter #67

bhvm

Honoured Member
Update on the tyres.
The use has dropped a lot. Not even 50KM a month. And there were times when the car was parked for entire month (With battery removed)
Pleasingly, when I checked tyre pressures after coming back, all the tyres had retained perfect pressure (I had filled them to 36 PSI)
So Earth 1 are also good if your car stands a lot.

I am really longing for a nice trip in my blue boy. BTW, there is something else which is keeping me entertained these days-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-blue-elephant-my-safari-4x4-review-mods.html

@bvhm, if a car is to be left unused for long time, one should keep the tyres half inflated rather than fully or over inflated. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thread Starter #69

bhvm

Honoured Member
@bvhm, if a car is to be left unused for long time, one should keep the tyres half inflated rather than fully or over inflated. Correct me if I am wrong.
Buddy, Leaving tyres half inflated will cause sag and hence leave a flat spot on the tyre. This flat spot will cause heavy vibration when driving. And when braking, the tyres lock right at the flat spot and it only gets worse from there.
Also, the sag may deform the bead leaving your tyre with unreliable air holding capacity.

Now coming back, A fully or slightly over inflated tyre makes it more round and helps it hold shape better. Also, Over-inflation compensates for slow loss of air over a few months.

Now if your car is really going to stand a lot (6 months or more) It is better to remove the tyre and keep the car on stands. Also Remove battery. Disengage Hand brake (Because drums can sieze or rust in place). Engage 1st gear. Keep all engine fluid levels topped up to recommend mark.

My brother's Swift has run nearly 60,000 Kms in 3 years on Earth-1 and need to change the tyres soon as the tyres are nearing to the end of its life.Thinking to get the same tyres for the Swift and will be selling the Swift soon as it has run more than 1,20,000 Kms in 7.5 years.

Meanwhile,I need to change our Innova's tyres too as the tyres of our Innova are also nearing to the end of its life.The car was running on second set of tyres and it has run approx 60-70k Kms on present tyres as the manufacturing year of present tyres are 2015.Thinking to get the same tyres for Innova too as I feel Bridgestones and Michelins are overpriced.

Getting those tyres for our Innova in stock size this weekend or next week as present tyres are at the end of its life.Got a quote of Rs.5600 for these tyres from the trusted tyre dealer,from whom I got tyres for our previous Vento,brother's Swift and our Honda City.

And,I feel these tyres are cheaper than Bridgestone B390,which costs Rs.6150 and Michelin XM2,which costs Rs.6300.This will be the third time if I buy Yokohama tyres as we already got them fitted on my brother's Swift VDI and on our Honda City(Yokohama S-Drives).The Earth1 tyres on Swift has run close to 60,000 Kms in over 3 years and are at the end of its life and willing to change those tyres if he is planning to keep the car for another few months or before selling,we might change the tyres and sell off the car.

Getting those tyres for our Innova in stock size this weekend or next week as present tyres are at the end of its life.Got a quote of Rs.5600 for these tyres from the trusted tyre dealer,from whom I got tyres for our previous Vento,brother's Swift and our Honda City.

And,I feel these tyres are cheaper than Bridgestone B390,which costs Rs.6150 and Michelin XM2,which costs Rs.6300.This will be the third time if I buy Yokohama tyres as we already got them fitted on my brother's Swift VDI and on our Honda City(Yokohama S-Drives).The Earth1 tyres on Swift has run close to 60,000 Kms in over 3 years and are at the end of its life and willing to change those tyres if he is planning to keep the car for another few months or before selling,we might change the tyres and sell off the car.
Got the tyres changed to same yesterday and costed Rs.23400 including WA/WB and valves and today dad did a highway run and BTW,need to change the tyres of brother's Swift VDI as it has run 60,000 Kms on Yoko Earth 1.

Top Bottom