Honda Likely To Discontinue Accord in India

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Honda recently announced plans to halt the production of Civic (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...bye-existing-civic-india.html?highlight=civic). Primarily for two reasons: It is dated (and new model is out in international markets) and poor sales figures. The same is current situation with Honda Accord in India. However, if rumors are to be believed then Honda would not bring a new model of Accord anytime soon until they find out a solution for their Diesel engine (2.2 i-DTEC) to cope with the lower quality fuel unlike in Europe.

Honda-Accord_2013_1024x768_wallpaper_01.jpg

Honda-Accord_2013_1024x768_wallpaper_02.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Accord V6 is one damn good machine to drive. I feel bad for Honda. Hope they soon find an engine which can run in our diesel.

The sky rocketing fuel prices are causing heavy damage to Honda India. The first victim of the upward sloping petrol prices curve was the Civic, now it is Accords turn ! Honda must come up with some good diesel heart in order to sustain their market share in India.

I don't understand Hondas strategy here . When Hyundai , Toyota have petrol cars in that segment why not Honda ? Accord is any day a better car then sonata and Camry .
Dont know what is cooking up there in Honda . And yes hope they come with a diesel engine soon will be interesting to see their engine and pricing .

Well looks like Honda is really having a bad time in India as they have stopped production for legendary civic and now it's the Accord. This is one of the best sedans in it's segment with the i-vtec engine and the V6 engine is just amazing. Sad to see this news.

I hope Honda comes with a diesel engine pretty soon. And if they do so they will definitely rule the market.

This was definitely on cards, with no diesel engine in such a costly car sales are dud for Accord. If they don't come up with diesel engines for India sooner, they might have to face big losses.

Well there are 2 parts to Honda's problems in india
1) First their universal diesel engine need to adapted to our "superior"(pun intended) fuel quality. This is still an easier problem to solve.
2) The second is the more fundamental problem( and applies to many other manufacturers wanting to set up diesel units in india) of the dilly dallying government and news of a new policy every other day with regards to diesel/petrol pricing. While i dont want to get in to that debate it is but obvious that this policy paralysis and lack of clarity will never lead to any business setting up a huge diesel plant in india investing 100/1000s of crores. Mind you one decision to implement a taxation policy on diesel cars the power balance between petrol and diesel will shift again. No manufacturer(especially the ones who would want to set up from scratch) will want to take that gamble until there is utmost clarity on this topic. So i wouldnt blame honda fully on this one!

This was definitely on cards, with no diesel engine in such a costly car sales are dud for Accord. If they don't come up with diesel engines for India sooner, they might have to face big losses.
Other then superb no car has a diesel engine . Sonata , Camry both only have petrol engines and all are duds [:D]
So just to make the presence felt they should have continued the accord .
Civic use I understand because the segment has many diesel options like fluence , corrola , Laura , jetta . Cruze so the civic has no edge here.

Oh c'mon!!! first Civic then Accord. Both my honda favs. facing the same fate. Accord had the best design IMHO with an aggressive front and sharp side profile with those yummy led tail lamps. Too bad the petrol hearts are facing low sales. Honda desperately needs a diesel engine and that too very soon, else, once the premium brand would be just selling hatches in India, as we al know even the city is facing the sales heat. [cry]

freakdude.

Well there are 2 parts to Honda's problems in india
1) First their universal diesel engine need to adapted to our "superior"(pun intended) fuel quality. This is still an easier problem to solve.
2) The second is the more fundamental problem( and applies to many other manufacturers wanting to set up diesel units in india) of the dilly dallying government and news of a new policy every other day with regards to diesel/petrol pricing. While i dont want to get in to that debate it is but obvious that this policy paralysis and lack of clarity will never lead to any business setting up a huge diesel plant in india investing 100/1000s of crores. Mind you one decision to implement a taxation policy on diesel cars the power balance between petrol and diesel will shift again. No manufacturer(especially the ones who would want to set up from scratch) will want to take that gamble until there is utmost clarity on this topic. So i wouldnt blame honda fully on this one!
I agree with your point number -2
About point number 1 Honda has been allways adamant about there stance saying their engines are very sofisticated and can't be compatible to the diesel in India . Then how on the earth are BMW, merc, Audi , JLR able to sell their cars and are perfectly compatible with diesel provided in India ?
We Indians made Toyota and Honda brands premiuim because of our fasination for phoren products ,in every other world Toyota and Honda are like maruti "brand for masses ".

No matter what you hear about Honda commenting about Indian diesel quality, the reality is they wouldnt get clearance from the Japanese HQ unless there is a policy clarity on diesels in India. Given so many natural disasters they have sustained recently am sure they wouldnt want to gamble on this(and to be honest thats also one of the reasons even Toyota is careful , they too have a wider choice of engines).

Hmm, read this news on my phone & was [surprise] as the Pune dealer told that diesel accord will come in mid 2013. Seems CRV too will be pulled out.

Will talk now about selling accord, coz once it is discontinued, finding buyers will be even harder. This was one of my fav sedans on sub-20L side & now its gone. I have enjoyed this car & will surely miss it.[cry]

Honda is not discontinuing the accord straight from the horses mouth here
Business Line : Companies News : Honda to launch Brio automatic in Diwali; Accord, Civic not to be phased out just yet

NEW DELHI, SEPT. 6:*
Honda plans to expand the Brio compact hatch range in India with the launch of an automatic variant next month.

This will be the third model in the small car segment after the Maruti Suzuki A-Star and Hyundai i10 to offer such a transmission option.

Jnaneswar Sen, Senior Vice-President, Sales and Marketing, Honda Siel Cars India, said that a need for such a variant was felt from customers who wanted a car that is easy to drive in crowded cities.

However, the Brio automatic may not mean a significant jump in volumes for Honda, since automatic variants account for a low single-digit percentage share of total cars sold in the country.

Sen also denied rumours that the Accord brand will be pulled out of India, but said that the new Civic sedan launch may be delayed for the home market. The new Civic was launched in the US and Europe last year.

”We're not pulling out the Civic right now, but given that the C segment is not growing, it makes no sense to invest in local manufacturing of a new model and that too with a petrol engine," he said.

Top Bottom