Honda Finally Unveils 1.6L i-DTEC Turbo Diesel Engine

Thread Starter #1
At the ongoing Tokyo Motor Show, Honda SIEL pulled the wraps off what could define Honda’s future in key markets like Europe and India. Yes, we’re talking about diesel power and Honda has just unveiled a 1.6 Liter i-DTEC turbo diesel engine that will produce a peak power of 120 Bhp of 4,000 rpm and peak torque of a gargantuan 300 Nm at 2,000 rpm. Now, that much torque on a 1.6 Liter diesel engine sounds very sweet for diesel engine enthusiasts. At the Tokyo Motor Show, Honda showcased a newly developed engine for automobiles called 'Earth Dreams Technology', which the company claims it will enhance fuel efficiency. Japanese auto major Honda Motor Co is focusing on development of diesel engines and small compact cars in order to meet specific demands from the Indian market.

"We are aware of the petrol price increase in India but we consider that as a sign of growth in the Indian market... definitely we are currently developing diesel engine cars," Honda R&D Co (Automobile R&D Center) Managing Officer, Chief Officer (Development Operations) Yasuhisa Arai told PTI. Speaking on the sidelines of Tokyo Motors Show here, he said: "(Indian) market is asking for more diesel engine cars and we are fully aware of that." Arai also said as far as India is concerned, the company's focus will be on the compact car segment to drive volumes. "We had developed Brio (compact car) for India, Since we see limited opportunities for large size vehicles, our emphasis is on small compact cars for India," he added. Asked about the prospects of the Indian market, he said: "At this point Japan, US and China are the three biggest markets (for Honda). In my opinion India is the top growth market and I believe India will soon overtake China. Definitely India will be our emphasis." On the issue of local sourcing for parts, Arai said weakening of rupee against the dollar has had an impact.

"We are trying to locally procure parts in India and also assemble there. As of now, 80 per cent of our products are localized. We still want to increase it," he added. Commenting on the impact of floods in Thailand that has affected parts supply to Honda's different locations, he said: "We have started restoration of our plants in Thailand. We will make an announcement of the impact as soon as we are able to make an assessment." He said water has receded and the company will fully asses the extend of the damage.

Source:ET/ICB

Attachments

Re: Finally - Honda 1.6 Liter i-DTEC Turbo Diesel Engine unveiled

Honda + diesel engine = Awesome car
this is good news, the main question is when will these come to India.

Hi that is awesome!! Great news to hear.. Expecting life for this amazing diesel heart..

For sure honda is going to come in to diesel market with a bang..[thumbsup]

Finally, the news i was waiting since many years. Although i am not a diesel fan but keeping in mind the rocketing petrol prices and vigorous competition, this is what Honda needs, a Diesel heart.

As tweeted by Hormazd, 1.4 litre version too is coming up for Jazz & Brio. Honda could now be the strongest force in B & C segment. Only if no other natural calamity hit them !

Thats a sweet news from Honda. My car would be just 2 years old by next year end. Honda is going to eat up Germans who mercilessly charge for the maintainance. Waiting for the first machine to be launched.

350Z

Core Team
We finally hear the news which we have been waiting for since ages. This is indeed a very positive development for Honda and can shine out their fortunes, especially to regain their position back in cut-throat C-Segment with Honda City.

Drive Safe,
350Z

With Diesel engineer, Honda should also look at increasing the Ground Clearance of all its cars which then will make a much much difference in this competion world.

nothing gonna work for honda if they are gonna arrogantly price city diesel!! [angry]
ya i guess they will over price it,yet the Honda badge will allure some

& diesel at Honda is like when Porsche introduced the cayenne ,am sure most of the purists are going to be like "thats it say good bye to petrol cars" ,more so in India.

Top Bottom