Honda Civic AT CNG

Thread Starter #16
The normal way. To be descriptive - Insert the key, turn the ignition while the car is in P mode. Get my belt on. Since my car is in a cramped parking space I move from P to R. Slowly back up and move to D. While the car moves forward (around 15 seconds has gone by) and I turn out of my parking space the car will then suddenly jerk forward up to 2000 rpm. I brake and stop.. the car is still on 2000 RPM and slowly comes down. This is all with the AC on.

After I drive for a bit and I'm at a signal I usually keep the car in N. I notice then that the RPM goes a little below 1000 on idle and keeps coming back up. Sometimes it goes to around 1200 RPM and comes back to 1000. Is this normal?

Have they checked your Auto transmission?

What about the condition timing belt and the timing tensioner.Was the timing set correctly?

Thread Starter #18
I've given the car back to the garage where I got the CNG kit installed after creating a huge noise about this. This all started after the kit was installed. They are ATM determining where they went wrong. If they cannot fix this I will straight take it to Honda and have these things checked out. Do you suggest I ask them to look at these aspects of the car?

Yes, ask the CNG people about the timing advancer.I feel this has something to do with that.

If they cannot solve this, you should ask get these checked at a Honda workshop.

Also get the compression checked if you end up going to Honda.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #20
Update - Left the car at the CNG garage for 2 days. Said there is no problem with the car. I went myself and showed him the problem and he says that fluctuation of the RPM is normal. It is also normal for the RPM meter to come down slowly. Of course I knew this to be untrue and confirmed with with Honda. Getting the kit removed of Monday and now I'm highly skeptical of getting it fitted from somebody else. This hasn't been a good experience at all.

Thread Starter #22
They said they would not be able to help with the CNG system. They said they would help me if the same problem occurred after I removed the kit and happens on Petrol.

Do check if the problem happens on petrol.If it does get it fixed from Honda.Maybe then you can contemplate on reusing CNG or not.

Thread Starter #24
Got the kit removed. The mechanic who removed it said somebody did a shoddy job. Apparently where you put the gas in from the nut was loose and leaking gas which was why I was getting such a bad average. Although the RPM problem still exists. When I push the accelerator up to 3-4k RPM it comes down slowly till 1200 rpm and goes back up to 1500 and comes back down. Could this be a throttle body problem?

I cannot comment on what exactly could be the issue.It could be a sensor that has gone bad.Better get the car checked with Honda.

Hi Nader,
What is your plan of action after uninstalling CNG Kit, because I can help with your CNG issues. My Alto K10 was installed with Tomasetto Sequential kit and faced same kind of issues. Finally all the major issues were resolved.

1. The most important thing is clean up the Throttle body. This would resolve 70% of all CNG issues. May be Honda people will say the Throttle body is very fine with petrol but still you ask them to do it.

2. Reduce the Spark plugs gap to 0.7mm ( Better to find how much gap the Honda people suggest as they have release CNG version in Honda City).

3. May be people say 'Timing advanser' is not required for Sequential kit but I say it is required. This will make your car more stable and increase pick up.

4. As CNG comes with high pressure from tank, all the pipes must be clamped at every end.

5. While the installation is in process, sit with mechanic and observe any warnings are displayed which are been ignoring. This is very important because all injectors must be perfectly configured.

Let me know for any other issues, because I was gone through most of the issues which you had faced [frustration].

Good Luck,
Prakash S.

There are two or three factors responsible for non-adjustment of RPM.Firstly check the THROTTLE of the car get it cleaned through a mechanic who knows about EFI engines and get the RPM adjusted with an L key and a nut which are installed on the THROTTLE. Secondly the CNG kit installed should be checked that it has no oil in it coming from the CNG cylinder. If there is oil in the CNG kit it means that the CNG cylinder is having sufficient oil in it. It would be mandatory to get the CNG cylinder cleaned from kit shops because the oil going into the CNG kit is further transferred in the THROTTLE which makes it greasy and there is a small blower inside the THROTTLE which pushes the gas or petrol mixed with air into the head of the car to get it burnt and produce acceleration in the car. The oil which is transmitted alongwith the gas from the CNG kit into the THROTTLE makes it greasy resultantly the blower does move efficiently and sometimes it is caught due to presence of greasy surface in the THROTTLE making the car losing and raising its RPM. These things have personally been witnessed by me.

Hi, I have a 2007 Honda Civic MT with sequential cng kit installed from Lovato a year back. the car did 35000 kms fine on cng. Nowadays I am facing a weird issue of the car stalling at low rpms and jerking while running. it happens only after I drive for about 15-20 minutes. spark plugs, wires and ignition coil checked. no issues pops up when I go to the cng service center on the diagnostic program. please help.

Top Bottom