Honda City i-VTEC: Technical Issues & Solutions

I asked the technician buddy, he said passenger one does not have issue in this affected lot and major issue was driver side airbag inflator.

Regards

Akash
I see

But still Honda is not telling us details about many things in-regards to this Airbag issues. Are they are hiding something or they really don't know. These are the main things.

1. Who made the replacement inflator now? Recent reports say Honda has stopped dealing with Takata

2. What was the fix for the issue? Research says, ammonium nitrate is the cause of the problem. If so, did they switched to different chemical compound? And what it is?

3. Whether this replacement inflator works fine is still unknown. Some reports say the replacement is still not fine nor trust-able.

4. If reports on Paultan website to be believed, Honda City recall made in Malaysia had front passenger airbag inflators replacement. Now in India, Driver side airbag inflators are being replaced. This makes confusing. How come one has issues and the other is fine.

Even after the replacement, I will not be relieved until Honda fulfills above information. Its matter of life and this issue is a killer!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #34

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I think you mentioned somewhere that some warning light related to airbag or its sensor was lit on the MID. See Post #22 and 23.
Arre yaar, that was not related to Airbags. There is another issue with the fog lights of my car since they are aftermarket ones. The fog light wiring was chewed by pups so they aren't functioning. Have to get it checked. There is no warning signal "on" in the MID buddy.

Regards

Akash

Hello friends,

Updates from me regarding airbag issue. Day before yesterday I had took my car for 6 months servicing but I had to cancel it. However, they did replace the inflator and returned the car in a hour.

My car running is very low (Less then 500 per month) and at present my car odometer is at 52k and services of 50k, 55k are used previously. Now the service adviser says previous services cannot be repeated (The software doesn't accept it) so I have to get 60k servicing done. I just wanted general checkup and engine oil changed atm but service adviser said partial services are not possible so I had postpone for next 6 months. 60k is major which includes brake oil, gear oil and etc changed and may cost till 5k or more.

I hope there will be no problem with engine oil running for a year.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #36

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Updates from me regarding airbag issue. Day before yesterday I had took my car for 6 months servicing but I had to cancel it. However, they did replace the inflator and returned the car in a hour.
I hope there will no problem with engine oil running for 1 year.
Good buddy that your car's airbag issue too got rectified. As of engine oil, I haven't faced issue till date and once my car does 9-10K Kms, I change the same even though I am using a semi synthetic engine oil of Castrol. So, rest assured, you'll not have any issues either if your running is low because engine oil would be used only if the car runs and in your case the running is quite less so no problems. I'll be getting the oil change at 55K and plan to change the gear oil too because ever since I bought the car, the same has not been changed till now. The Service center said gear oil usually goes upto 80-90K kms before its changed so I am in a confusion of sorts that whether to change it at 55K or 80-90K kms.

Regards

Akash

Good buddy that your car's airbag issue too got rectified. As of engine oil, I haven't faced issue till date and once my car does 9-10K Kms, I change the same even though I am using a semi synthetic engine oil of Castrol. So, rest assured, you'll not have any issues either if your running is low because engine oil would be used only if the car runs and in your case the running is quite less so no problems. I'll be getting the oil change at 55K and plan to change the gear oil too because ever since I bought the car, the same has not been changed till now. The Service center said gear oil usually goes upto 80-90K kms before its changed so I am in a confusion of sorts that whether to change it at 55K or 80-90K kms.

Regards

Akash
As mentioned in the manual of 4th gen Honda City the gear oil needs to be replaced at 60k kms. So it should be the same for 3rd gen Honda City too. The manual contains all the things that needs to be changed at each services. So adhere to the same even though the service supervisor may advice you to postpone the gear oil change. They are just trying to be "over smart". You can continue with out changing gear oil, but it may lead to a major gearbox failure. In this case we should believe the manufacturer as they should be understanding their product much better than anyone else. And by the way who knows, that supervisor can be in his "notice period".

Last edited:

Regards

Akash
Yeah, I hope there will be no issues with it from now.

I have heard, the engine oil gets degrades over time irrespective of whether it is used or not (Check here about Automotive Fluids). As per service manual of our car, the engine oil should be changed every 5k or 6 months but experts like you suggest to do it once a year so I prefer it instead. [:)]
ANHC_Mainteance_Schedule_pg01.jpg

As of gear oil, service manual suggests to do at 60k then 120k and 180k for MT. May be your service center is wrong or confused about gear oil change schedule but really it isn't at 80-90k.

ANHC_Mainteance_Schedule_pg02.jpg

I see your car is still at 50k but to get gear oil changed, you have to reach near 60k and before that 55k has to be done, which includes general checkup and engine oil change only.

These authorized service centers have fixed tasks for every thousand kilometers which cannot be altered or repeated by car owners. It is all software controlled and have to follow its route. However, it is good for regular running cars but will be unnecessary expense for low running cars. You have to spend thousands for a car that is rarely used.

May be I have will to find a 3rd partly service center for oil change. [roll]

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Re: New Car Pre-Delivery Inspection – An Exhaustive Guide

Hello Akash/Vipul,

Wanted to say thanks for your guidance earlier for PDI related stuff. I have got my new car and drove for around 400 KM.

Although the car is driving fine, but i noticed that certain times there is a screeching sound that comes from front DRIVER side tyre when brakes are applied. The sound is not regular but comes only intermittently and its loud enough to disturb me as a driver. The sound originally came just after 2 days I got the car. The vehicle was checked by the Honda workshop but they don't seem to know real problem. The problem was also reproduced when Honda workshop person checked although it was reproduced only once in front of them. They just removed brake shoes and I believe did some greasing and that's it.....but the problem still persists.

I guess this may be part of cars niggles which users are noticing these days in HONDA cars. Planning to get the car re-checked. Any pointers form you will be most welcome.

Guys. Faced water seeping issue inside the boot during the recent Chennai rains. Happened to drive my car in pool of water 2 or 3 times[cry]. While opening the boot, there was slight water seepage in the boot surrounding the spare wheel(Forgot to click a picture). Gave it to ASC and they said the bush has been changed. After that I didn't have an instance to check if it leaking. However in ASC, they used the pressure washer and sprayed the water under the boot and checked for any leakages. There were none. Hope the issue is solved. Has any one came across the same???

Hi everyone,
I am buying first car tomorrow! Honda city CVT ! Can anyone tell me list of documents needed in the car and things to check while getting car!
thanks for help,

Thanks a lot for that link friend. Helped a lot!
I got my Honda city now, enjoying it. 1 thing I wanted to ask. AVG shown on the meter now when I drive is about 7-8 kmpl always. Is it because the new car or Its the typical HONDA CITY MODEL avg? I read up to 18 kmpl thats y asking!
Thanks!

Thanks a lot for that link friend. Helped a lot!
I got my Honda city now, enjoying it. 1 thing I wanted to ask. AVG shown on the meter now when I drive is about 7-8 kmpl always. Is it because the new car or Its the typical HONDA CITY MODEL avg? I read up to 18 kmpl thats y asking!
Thanks!
That is because you haven't driven long distance yet.

Drive atleast 10km with a constant speed of 40 or 60 without stopping. Then you'll notice rise in AVG mileage. If you apply clutch or stop & go, then AVG mileage declines.

It is actually not a accurate mileage but approx can be assumed. For accurate mileage, do full tank method to full tank method.

Congratulations for having a new car. Have a safe journey ahead and also welcome to Honda City family. [:)]

Last edited:
Hi everyone.
From last few months ,I have some issues with my city 2014 ivtech.car is now 2 years old .from last few months my car after running few kilometers starts behaving oddly with increased vibrations at idle ,shakiness,hesitation in lower gears and car feels rough and noisy .I appreciate it more as initial my car runs very smooth,so feel the difference.Honda have run diagnostics and say all is fine ,no fault code ever recorded.It's my car driving it since 2 years so I know the difference. Using OBD scanner and torque it says some low sensor voltage in oxygen bank 4 sensor 4.please help ,what could be the reason?

Snapshot showing scan result
Please guide mW what should I do?

Attachments

Top Bottom