Honda City i-VTEC: Technical Issues & Solutions

Could someone clarify me on the below query?

I have a query regarding gear change and rpm change. I don't know whether this was happening from start, but I started noticing this for sometime now while upshifting gears. When I change from 2nd gear to 3rd gear (most noticed at this scenario), and release the clutch I could see the rpm is moving upwards by around 600+rpm. I understand this can happen while downshifting gears at (somewhat) higher speeds. But is this an expected behavior while upshifting gears?
When the same is happening I could feel the movement of car being 'not so smooth', almost like 'downshifting from higher gear to lower gear at a higher speed, do give us a jerk kind of feeling right??'. Not sure if I am confusing you guys.

Thanks in advance.
Today evening I tried it and the car does move forward without pressing accelerate. This happens after changing from 2nd gear to 3rd gear and on plain road but I have not noticed jerk or I would guess its my fault in leaving clutch faster. On 1st and 2nd gear, the car starts to jerk if accelerated or clutch is not pressed which is normal.

I'm not so expert in this nor I have much of experience in driving different cars so other members, even those who have different cars can tell us if this is normal or a issue.

Last edited:
At what RPM and speed are you shifting from 2nd to 3rd? I think you are at too low an RPM and the ECU does this to prevent stalling maybe.
The speeds for gearshifts I usually follow are given below.
10-30 kmph - move to 2nd gear (2000 - 3000 rpm)
20-40 kmph - move to 3rd gear (2000 -3000 rpm)
40-60 kmph - move to 4th gear (2000 -3000 rpm)
>60 kmph - move to 5th gear. (2000 -3000 rpm)
So my sweet spot for a gear shift lies between 2000 - 3000 rpm. I have tried shifting at higher rpms say 6000rpm at times (while enjoying the vtec kick).

Note : I have a driving experience of more than one lakh kms. And I have a WagonR which have covered 80,000 kms with out a clutch overhaul.
Okay. I think the problem lies with the actuator/throttle body. I am no expert in this department and would like to know what other members have to say. Taking it to the ASS should definitely help.

Note - Neither did I say that you are a novice. That was just a probable cause of the problem. [:)]

Okay. I think the problem lies with the actuator/throttle body. I am no expert in this department and would like to know what other members have to say. Taking it to the ASS should definitely help.

Note - Neither did I say that you are a novice. That was just a probable cause of the problem. [:)]
Yes. But I am thinking of taking the car to a reputed BOSCH service center near my home, to find the root cause of the issue rather than taking to HASS (Usually they say "It is working as expected").

Note : The 'NOTE' in my above comment is to give everybody an idea of my driving style and experience. Other wise I would be the reason for a lot of unnecessary posts mentioning "your driving style need to be changed, you may be riding clutch, etc etc." I never meant that you meant what you mentioned in the 'note' section in your above comment[;)].

In Morning time, at times yes as you said rightly steering rattles and from the right side wheel in front a "thud" noise comes up! But in my car this is not a regular feature. It happens only 1 or 2 times in 15-20 days. I thought maybe some oil shortage or something would be there but nothing like that.

Regards

Akash
Yes.. It starts same. Once in days, then it starts increasing.. I see many city's EPS units being changed. It costs around 45K. And city's EPS doesn't uses oil. It is a dry unit. Please find the picture of the City's EPS unit. I see many honda's facing this EPS problems. It shows up if the car is driven rough. The cars which are driven sedately most of the times doesn't seems to have this problem. I have seen many automotive sites, blogs etc.. There is no discussions on the same. You have started an awesome thread bro [clap]

Attachments

Hello Friends,

This is regarding airbag recall. Today I have contacted Honda Service Center again to ask if they have started recalling process. Service adviser said the replacement parts are limited and we are processing only for those who have come for servicing. At present, we are not making calls to car owners for the recall.

My car servicing is pending and will be booking an appointment next week.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Hello Friends,

This is regarding airbag recall. Today I have contacted Honda Service Center again to ask if they have started recalling process. Service adviser said the replacement parts are limited and we are processing only for those who have come for servicing. At present, we are not making calls to car owners for the recall.

My car servicing is pending and will be booking an appointment next week.

Thanks...
Best Regards
My car has been upgraded. They opened the steering and did some updates. Not sure of the thing they changed. Actually the ASC will call all the owners individually and each vehicle will be checked upon.

My car has been upgraded. They opened the steering and did some updates. Not sure of the thing they changed.
If they have opened the steering cover then they have replaced the inflator but not just steering cover, the dashboard has to be removed as well for passenger side inflator replacement. Didn't they do it?

Actually the ASC will call all the owners individually and each vehicle will be checked upon.
Thats right but most of ASC aren't doing it yet. May be they are first finishing off those that come for service then they might call to remaining car owners. These is what I have understood.

The recall was announced on 18th Sept 2015 in the Honda Car India Website and I had registered my vehicle on 5th Oct 2015. As per the same website, the updation (recall) would be carried out across India from 24th October 2015. However, one month has been passed but I still did not receive calls from local ASC.

Instead, I called to service adviser (Also a friend of my friend). First he said, only civic cars are being recalled for air bag inflator replacement and other models will be called once we receive replacement parts and instructions. Now he says is what I said in my previous post.

Its not a thing to ignore or wait for it so I'ed would urge all to call Honda ASC or service adviser yourself and ask if they can perform the airbag inflator replacement and if yes then book an appointment and get the job done.

@Akash ji, I hear you saying there is airbag light or sensor issue in your car. Now its the best time to get both the issues fixed. Or if your car is already fixed then I'm glad to hear. [:)]

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #23

Akash1886

Honoured Member
@Akash ji, I hear you saying there is airbag light or sensor issue in your car. Now its the best time to get both the issues fixed. Or if your car is already fixed then I'm glad to hear.
Mainly I am concerned for the Airbag inflator rectification issue which is under recall. Dealer hasn't contacted me. I might have to chase them for it. Light is a separate issue and its mainly for the aftermarket thing which is not my priority as of now. At present main thing is the airbag issue of my car which is still unattended.[:)]

Regards

Akash

Mainly I am concerned for the Airbag inflator rectification issue which is under recall. Dealer hasn't contacted me. I might have to chase them for it. Light is a separate issue and its mainly for the aftermarket thing which is not my priority as of now. At present main thing is the airbag issue of my car which is still unattended.[:)]

Regards

Akash
No worries if its just light malfunction but if its sensor issue then it should be your second priority to fix it. [:)]

Yes looks like we have to chase them because I don't think they gonna call us or by then it will be too late.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #25

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Yes looks like we have to chase them because I don't think they gonna call us or by then it will be too late.
Lets see how it shapes up but one thing is for sure, these dealers here in Noida and even at many other places are very lazy. They are not capable of handling the rush. They are least bothered to inform/update the customer. Their responsibility it seems ends once the car is sold to customer and the DD is credited to their account.

Update: Called my Dealer who has been assigned to me for this recall of airbag inflator. He has informed me that the part is available and tomorrow my car shall be going for the replacement of it. Lets see how its done. Will post WIP pics over here.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Lets see how it shapes up but one thing is for sure, these dealers here in Noida and even at many other places are very lazy. They are not capable of handling the rush. They are least bothered to inform/update the customer. Their responsibility it seems ends once the car is sold to customer and the DD is credited to their account.

Regards

Akash
Yes I feel same about Honda Dealer and ASC in my city.

You know; when my car is finished servicing, service adviser calls me at 6pm to pickup the vehicle. It takes one hour for me to reach there and by the time I reach, my car will be parked outside. The garage and showroom will be closed. My service advise will be waiting for me to collect the money for servicing. Gives me the invoice, gateway pass and says good bye. He is in urgent to go home. Ok but what about my inspection on servicing? No chance, its so dark to even confirm whether its my car!

I always handover my car at 9am and request them to call me early when finished but never helped. Servicing of my car is not a time consuming either, just oil change, general checkup, wheel balancing and alignment.

Thread Starter #27

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

Finally the airbag inflator of my CITY IVtec (2011) has been replaced FOC under Honda's recall. The entire job was done at Crown Honda and it took about 25-30 minutes for the work. In 1 hour I was out of the workshop and the job has been done to my satisfaction. Big Thanks to Honda and equally big thanks and regards to The Automotive India & CRACING. As promised, WIP pics are attached below with all necessary details. I am immensely relieved now!!

20151127_123841.jpg

20151127_124210.jpg

20151127_124315.jpg

20151127_124455.jpg

20151127_124651.jpg

20151127_124802.jpg

20151127_124930.jpg

20151127_124949.jpg

20151127_125031.jpg

20151127_125546.jpg

20151127_125632.jpg

20151127_134139.jpg

Regards

Akash

Friends,

Finally the airbag inflator of my CITY IVtec (2011) has been replaced FOC under Honda's recall. The entire job was done at Crown Honda and it took about 25-30 minutes for the work. In 1 hour I was out of the workshop and the job has been done to my satisfaction. Big Thanks to Honda and equally big thanks and regards to The Automotive India & CRACING. As promised, WIP pics are attached below with all necessary details. I am immensely relieved now!!
Thanks for sharing Sirji. [clap]

So only the driver side inflator is replaced? And there is no issues with passenger side air bag?

The replacement kit looks pretty big though.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #29

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Thanks for sharing Sirji.

So only the driver side inflator is replaced? And there is no issues with passenger side air bag?

The replacement kit looks pretty big though.
I asked the technician buddy, he said passenger one does not have issue in this affected lot and major issue was driver side airbag inflator.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom