Honda City 2012: Brake Pad Replacement

Thread Starter #1
Hi Members,
I own a 2012 Honda City IVtech S and i have clocked 50K Kilometers. In my recent routine service, i was advised to replace by break pads - however i was told would costs 5K INR + 500 Labor [frustration]. One of the reason i was told was that it is imported. But, I think it is overpriced and want to change it else where. Do you have any other suggestion ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear Vinoth,

Welcome to our forum. The brake pads are indeed 5K+ in cost as I too had got the same replaced for my car last year. I am attaching below the pics of the genuine ones with price. However, for a component like brake pads, I'll suggest you to go in for the Honda genuine ones only as there isn't any point in saving 500-1000 Rs. and yet not having peace of mind.

20170525_140927.jpg

20170525_141012.jpg

Regards

Akash

Hello,

I have Brembo brake pads on my 09' Honda City i-VTEC and they are working fine since 1 year. Check this post for more details.

If you wish to go for aftermarket brake pads then I'd highly recommend Brembo brake pads.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Thread Starter #4
Dear Vinoth,

Welcome to our forum. The brake pads are indeed 5K+ in cost as I too had got the same replaced for my car last year. I am attaching below the pics of the genuine ones with price. However, for a component like brake pads, I'll suggest you to go in for the Honda genuine ones only as there isn't any point in saving 500-1000 Rs. and yet not having peace of mind.

Regards

Akash
Hi Akash1886,
Thank you for your advice and i understand it comes out of genuine care for a fellow member. I totally agree it is a critical component.

But, in my understanding we have decent companies manufacturing pads like TVS , Bosch etc. They cost approximately ~1000 INR. So i feel its a huge difference. I am not arguing / disapproving your suggestion. I am on a learning mode to understand - whats so special with the Honda OEM Pads.

Hello,

I have Brembo brake pads on my 09' Honda City i-VTEC and they are working fine since 1 year. Check this post for more details.

If you wish to go for aftermarket brake pads then I'd highly recommend Brembo brake pads.

Thanks...
Best Regards
Thank you Cracing, i will sure enquire. Do you know how much it costs and some reliable dealers in bangalore to source them from ?

Hello,

Thanks...
Best Regards
OOPS Sorry - i missed the link that you shared. thank you for the detailed post.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi Akash1886,
Thank you for your advice and i understand it comes out of genuine care for a fellow member. I totally agree it is a critical component.

But, in my understanding we have decent companies manufacturing pads like TVS , Bosch etc. They cost approximately ~1000 INR. So i feel its a huge difference. I am not arguing / disapproving your suggestion. I am on a learning mode to understand - whats so special with the Honda OEM Pads.
Buddy there isn't anything special as such with the OEM brake pads and you may consider after-market branded ones too as suggested by Cracing. However, in due course if god forbid there may arise an issue with pads, braking or the disks then you may not get the same replaced or rectified by Honda's ASC. That's the reason why I suggested OEM ones. Let the OEM take care of your car's spares and by this they can be held accountable too.

Regards

Akash

The difference is the material used for making brake pads. Cheap ones may leave lot of dust, make horrible noise and even break into pieces under extreme temperature. Honda OEM Pads are imported and use high quality material. Also being OEM product, it has to cost more. [;)]

Thank you Cracing, i will sure enquire. Do u know how much it costs and some reliable dealers in bangalore to source them from ?
I bought it for 2.7k (now it costs 2.9k) and got it fitted from ASC. Service advisor got surprised when I said the cost of the pads because he thought the pads are very expensive pads.

Carzspares and United Motors are autherized dealer of Brembo. You can message both sellers and ask quote.

BTW; Member named deville_56 also has Brembo brake pads on VW Polo and he said "Brembo bites well and leaves least brake dust than OE pad". You ask him for more updates.

Thread Starter #7
The difference is the material used for making brake pads. Cheap ones may leave lot of dust, make horrible noise and even break into pieces under extreme temperature. Honda OEM Pads are imported and use high quality material. Also being OEM product, it has to cost more. [;)]

I bought it for 2.7k (now it costs 2.9k) and got it fitted from ASC. Service advisor got surprised when I said the cost of the pads because he thought the pads are very expensive pads.

Carzspares and United Motors are autherized dealer of Brembo. You can message both sellers and ask quote.

BTW; Member named deville_56 also has Brembo brake pads on VW Polo and he said "Brembo bites well and leaves least brake dust than OE pad". You ask him for more updates.
Thank you. Now, I totally understand your concern about the branded ones and thank you for the references. I will sure go through it and replace them and let you know the update. fingers crossed.

Thread Starter #8
Hi All,
After some research i found that the brake pad material used in Honda and few other premium manufacturers is 'copper free' because of environmental reasons. I wanted to go for Bembo - but had problems from sourcing Brembo as it was out of stock with one of them and the other did nor respond [frustration].
So finally i settled for TVS Apache brake pads at a Bosch Service center which costed 1100 + 400 = 1500 INR all together.

Otherwise the breaking efficiency / performance was nothing below par - at least i did not notice the difference honestly. But, Initially there was a Squeaking noise whenever i released the brakes from stand still / slope. It slowly started occupying me and i was worried a lot. In fact was thinking about replacing it with Honda since brembo was not available.
At that point - as i did not know it needs some run-in. Not sure if the premium pads also need some run-in.

Then, i made a trip to yercaud - and felt confident downhill. And magically [lol] [clap]- all the noise dissapeared after the hard breaking i did back from yercaud. Noticed visible dust on my alloys ( i never cared earlier thanks to @Cracing and @Akash1886 for educating me).

Overall i have no-regrets after the first 500 KMS. I will for sure keep you all posted my unbiased if i see any problems in long run.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi All,

So finally i settled for TVS Apache brake pads at a Bosch Service center which costed 1100 + 400 = 1500 INR all together.

I will for sure keep you all posted my unbiased if i see any problems in long run.
Hi Vinoth, is it actually possible to fix a motorbike's brake pads in a car? I haven't ever heard of it. How did it go through? Do you have W.I.P Pics of it?

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #10
Hi Vinoth, is it actually possible to fix a motorbike's brake pads in a car? I haven't ever heard of it. How did it go through? Do you have W.I.P Pics of it?
To be precise - it was TVS Girling Apache Series brake pads for Honda City. Unfortunately i did not take a PIC (not as thoughtful as you - i have to grow up [;)] ). I was equally amused when i saw 'APACHE' prominently printed over - when i saw the Box in the SA's Hands. Then i double checked. I took them and placed over / beside my old Honda pads and ensured that the sizes matched [lol].

The TVS guys should consult some good nomenclature-ist to avoid overlapping and ambiguous names.

Last edited:

Regards

Akash
To be precise - it was TVS Girling Apache Series brake pads for Honda City. Unfortunately i did not take a PIC (not as thoughtful as you - i have to grow up [;)] ). I was equally amused when i saw 'APACHE' prominently printed over - when i saw the Box in the SA's Hands. Then i double checked. I took them and placed over / beside my old Honda pads and ensured that the sizes matched [lol].

The TVS guys should consult some good nomenclature-ist to avoid overlapping and ambiguous names.
The TVS apache pads that you have purchased are as good as OEM NISSIN brake pads that Honda sells. In fact, if you could source the hi-per ceramic version of tvs girling pads, they will be better than OEM pads.
The reason of OEM parts being expensive is that they are sourced from one of the component vendors and then rebranded as Honda. As a result, you end up paying for the brand name.
TVS,Rane,Bosch, etc are all good and suppliers to major manufacturers in India. Nissin ( which Honda uses ) doesn't have much presence in India.
I would also like to add that, that some of these pads like Bosch ( which I have used multiple times in my Honda city and lasts for 20k ) may last a little bit lesser. However, at a price of Rs 1000 that is acceptable.

I Own Honda City Diesel VX Variant, I don't trust Honda Service Centre, I feel they cheat us. they charge huge amounts for small things.

Their Engine oil quality is also very low.. currently i am Using Mobile 0w40 for my car which is way better than honda brand oil.
recently my key fob battery died, service Centre charged me 420Rs for Panasonic brand battery, i asked not to change battery, instead I bought same Panasonic brand battery from amazon at rs 20 each piece.
Honda is charging more for low quality material
in the same or less price you will get high grade quality material from market. just need to do a little work and find a shop.
I am using oil filter and air filter of mahle, which are way better than what honda is offering.

Top Bottom