Honda Brio VMT OR Hyundai I10 Asta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi Folks,
My family's planning to change the 8year old Santro Xing & upgrade to a better hatchback. I had told my dad regarding all the options in the market but sine he has a neck & knee problem, he wants a car which would have an easy entry exit for tall people. He is keen on the Brio & the i10 Asta.

Now since I have recently brought the Jazz, my dad is absolutely delighted with it & the services of Honda. So he is more inclined towards Honda as a Brand but then the Brio is a low car compared to the i10 which is somehwat santro like with its tall boy design. Moreover the Asta now has insurance free & is price wise equal to the Brio but with FAR more features.

This is the present dillema. What do you guys think? My dad's priorities are
> Good headroom & legroom (as he is tall)
> Good FE
> Proper after sales service

Cheers

Jazzy

I would suggest you to go with Hyundai i10. Brio although has a great engine, but somehow i find its glass boot design not at all city friendly where a small dash can empty your pocket. Further more, the i10 looks bigger and the Asta version is equipped with features you would get with a Brio. So imo, Hyundai i10 would be a better bet.

The i10 is a better car in all aspects except for the fuel efficiency. Expect not more than 13 Kmpl. Not sure how much the Brio gives.

Thread Starter #4
I would suggest you to go with Hyundai i10. Brio although has a great engine, but somehow i find its glass boot design not at all city friendly where a small dash can empty your pocket. Further more, the i10 looks bigger and the Asta version is equipped with features you would get with a Brio. So imo, Hyundai i10 would be a better bet.
Hi Akash,
I don't like the dash of the Brio at all, feels cheap but still better than the Liva. i-10 is a proven product & comes loaded in the asta spec. But I disagree on 1 count with you regarding the size. If you see the spec sheet, Brios in fact much wider & longer than the i-10 too.
The glaring omissions from Brio are parcel tray, rear defogger & wiper,cd player & driver height adjust!

lets see what happens eventually...

Cheers

Jazzy

The i10 is a better car in all aspects except for the fuel efficiency. Expect not more than 13 Kmpl. Not sure how much the Brio gives.
Hi there,
FE as you rightly said is not v good in i10. 2 of my colleagues having i10 are saying they get around 10 in city with ac. Whereas I drive a Jazz which is a heavier car than Brio & am getting 16 in city presently. both have identical engines as you must be knowing...

Cheers

Jazzy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,
FE as you rightly said is not v good in i10. 2 of my colleagues having i10 are saying they get around 10 in city with ac. Whereas I drive a Jazz which is a heavier car than Brio & am getting 16 in city presently. both have identical engines as you must be knowing...

Cheers

Jazzy
Correct, fuel efficiency is not at all good in i10 and steering rattle is still present (No permanent solution for this till date).
Though my i10 auto gives 12-13 in Pune city with 100% AC on. On the positive side the seating position is good and as far as my auto, its fatigue free driving. Mine is also asta variant.

Brio will be much better in terms of engine, fuel efficiency. Interior seems on a lower quality, but its a personal choice. Only negatives of brio are, low seating and small boot (though it is deep)

Maintenance wise both cars will be bit expensive to maintain. As hyundai has already increased its services and spare parts cost. Honda's spares are also on higher side.

My suggestion, take back to back TD on good and bad roads as well for both cars, you will be able to decide there and there itself.

Peter what is difference in your efficiency after tire upsizing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

Cheers

Jazzy
No, i never meant Brio is small[:)]. It actually has much roomier rear, however, to me, Brio doesnt look like a 5lac car. The i10 has better road presence over the Brio which is yet another reason why i suggested you the i10.

my $0.02 here.

Brio first, (own the V variant)

The Positives:
1. Engine. Borrowed from Jazz, delivers great mileage and great to drive.
2. Quality: Better than i10! Hyundai still cannot match Honda standards.
3. Ecomony of Ownership: Hondas are quite economical to maintain.
4. Badge: Honda wins

The negatives:
1. No defogger or rear wiper. Though you can use products like rain-X.
2. Stereo looks garish esp the silver.
3. Only one remote key
4. Boot smaller than i10 (not that i10 has huge boot or anything)
5. No AT option if somebody wants one!
6. Not enough dealerships/service points everywhere. It is a handicap in smaller towns.

Now coming to i10 (I own the Sportz but will talk about Asta to keep comparison valid with Brio V)

The positives:
1. Loaded as much as some much costlier sedans including things like sun-roof, AT etc. So people at least have more OPTIONS.
2. Good engine with excellent pulling characteristics. Short throw gearbox is good as well (in terms of ease of use.)
3. On Service/dealer front, more options (so that if one is bad, you can still go to other guy. this might not be valid for Honda, esp in middle tier or smaller cities so you might have to put up with the dealer even if it is not good!)
4. Boot bigger than Brio.

The Negatives:
1. Costly, for what you get (its not much bigger than Santo and not a premium car but look at the price difference!)
2. Costly to maintain. Paid service is as much as 4.5k everytime (twice a year). In comparison, for H City it is less than 2k. Hyundai fleeces its customers via service!
3. Costly spares
4. FE: At best expect 12-13 in city or even less (I get about 12 with AC all the time or about 13-14 with minimal AC.) H Brio easily beats it by wide margin. This means for every 100 KM you drive, you will save about 2-300 rupees.
5. Seats are not as comfortable. This is my personal observation. Others might disagree.
6. Rear seat is bad! People at the rear complain all the time. Thats understandable as its a hatch but still Honda beats it on rear seat comfort.

If you ask me, if its going to be driven by your father mainly, then go for i10 AT, be it any version. The comfort of the Automatic will be much appreciated over period of time, especially as our cities are getting more and more congested. If you want manual, then go for Brio. Hope it helps!

Thread Starter #8
Hi Joslicx,
Thanks for your detailed feedback. We are taking the TD of both vehicles tomorrow & then should finalise. Hyundai's throwing in stuff like insurance free & all whereas Honda as usual is giving nothing extra. But hearts inclined towards the Brio, after all its a new car, new design & a Honda...FE & rear seat comfort is important for dad so Brio should be the choice.

Cheers

Jazzy

well brio is great car no doubt! it looks small than i10 to me. i will suggest go for it if your dad is also okay with it and dont have neck problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom