Honda Brio S(O) Petrol OR Maruti Ritz VDi Diesel?

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAIans,

I am planning to buy my first car and shortlisted Honda Brio S(O)MT and Maruti Ritz VDi. Yes, I am caught in a dilemma whether to go for a diesel or a petrol hatch!! Increasing petrol prices inclining me towards a diesel car as the running cost will be very cheap compared to the petrol one. However, initial cost & maintenance of a diesel vehicle is substantially higher. I am not an experienced driver and my average usage would be somewhere around 600-700 kms/month. I am taking max available loan for a period of 5 years to purchase the vehicle. So please do suggest me which one should I go for? Also please advice how is the maintenance of Brio?

Thanks in advance..[:)]

I couldnt understand the reason behind your choices.
Considering your running per month, you should go for Petrol car. Since you are on loan, this should save you a lot of money (the cost difference between the 2 cars work out to approx. INR 70K) in 5 years tenure. Also the Brio S(O) is good on safety features.
The areas where Ritz Vdi scores over Brio are
1. Fuel cost
2. Luggage space
3. Tall boy
Both are reliable and efficient cars (though we need to wait for Brio's comments from owners).

If I were you, I would pick the Brio.
Brio S(O) Vs Ritz Vdi
{Safety, Handling} Vs {cheap running, boot space}

Please tell us your needs from your car and stick to a budget. This question is tough to answer for a first car buyer. You will be in an excited mood. Congrats in advance for your buy.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
[please correct me if i'm wrong at any step [:)] ]
ok ,

so you said your monthly commute will be around 600-700 kms which means around 25km \ day.

lets take 30 km \ day.

petrol cost - 70\ ltr
diesel cost - 45\ ltr

petrol's average - 12kmpl
diesel's average - 16kmpl

yearly travel - 8400 , lets say 10000kms

petrol's expense per year - 60000
diesel's expense per year- 30000

difference = 30000

ok , brio s (o) price - 5,00,000 ex-showroom
ritz vxi petrol price -4,50,000 ex-showroom
ritz vdi diesel price - 5,50,000 ex-showroom

so lets compare if you wanted to purchase ritz only ,

you will pay additional 1,00,000 ex showroom , say 1,30,000 ( on road price ) and loan for 5 years , so total will come around 1,60,000 right.

( just imagine , you will have to pay 6-7% interest for that additional money and if you buy the petrol and invest the additional money for 5 years, how much you wil get say 5-6% , so total advantage if ou but the petrol will be 12% * 1,20,000 for 5 years)
and the price difference between petrol and diesel is just 30000 per year.

so you will cover your money in 5 years if you go for a diesel. nah.
no go. don't buy diesel. instead buy the petrol.

don't think what you will save in a day or a month but see how much you will save on the long run.

you will get a higher model of petrol with extra features.
diesel maintenance is very high.

normal petrol's servicing - 1500
normal diesel's servicing - around 5000-6000.

and if you don;t maintain it properly , you will face many problems after 3rd or 4th year.

so i suggest to stick with petrol. if you have any doubts please ask.

Last edited:
Can you make it more simple ? I think the op is asking between brio smt o and ritz vdi and the difference is just 50,000 rs can u pls take that in consideration and then calculate . Never the less your sincere effort is appreciated [thumbsup]

Hello TAIans,

I am planning to buy my first car and shortlisted Honda Brio S(O)MT and Maruti Ritz VDi. Yes, I am caught in a dilemma whether to go for a diesel or a petrol hatch!! Increasing petrol prices inclining me towards a diesel car as the running cost will be very cheap compared to the petrol one. However, initial cost & maintenance of a diesel vehicle is substantially higher. I am not an experienced driver and my average usage would be somewhere around 600-700 kms/month. I am taking max available loan for a period of 5 years to purchase the vehicle. So please do suggest me which one should I go for? Also please advice how is the maintenance of Brio?

Thanks in advance..[:)]
Your current usage is very low so petrol car can be justified . I would like to ask you 1)

how many years you will plan to keep the car with you ?

2) do you think in future say after a year or 2 your running will increase ?

3) also take into consideration that fuel prices will increase both petrol and diesel
For example make calculations on current prices and some on assumption like what if petrol becomes 100 rs in 1 and half years time and diesel becomes say 75 how long will it take to recover the price difference then .

4) and like allhyundai suggested take a long term view and then decide .

Both the cars are great and you can't go wrong with either .

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ raja - the actual comparison is only possible if he selects one car and then compare the petrol's and diesel's version.

from his selection. his budget is around 5,50,000. he's considering a higher model of petrol with a lower model of diesel , so its better to select the same model of the same car [:)]

so i compared petrol v\s diesel of ritz only.

is there any step which you didn't understand ?

@ raja - the actual comparison is only possible if he selects one car and then compare the petrol's and diesel's version.

from his selection. his budget is around 5,50,000. he's considering a higher model of petrol with a lower model of diesel , so its better to select the same model of the same car [:)]

so i compared petrol v\s diesel of ritz only.

is there any step which you didn't understand ?
I understood all your steps [:)] but the calculations will change taking 50,000 rs difference in account what you say ?

Teaser,
I own a Brio, just completed 1st service which was zero cost. Car is excellent but is a squeeze for 5 people. Its best for 4 adults, though headroom isn't an issue. The car is extremely light, nimble & fastoff the blocks. I'm gettng around 10 FE currently which shoudl improve after this service. Ritz is a good option too but I feel petrol is the one you should go for, considering your running. Both ritz & brio will give a good resale value & good FE. Servicing costs of maruti though will be lower. If you are very particular about space (including boot) consider Ritz else Brio anyday.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ raja - agree , but as i said he's chosing a higher model in petrol , if he selects the model with same price then only it can be compared.

aah , i'm getting confused , and i will confuse you also [lol] so lets wait for him to answer what he says ok.

@ raja - agree , but as i said he's chosing a higher model in petrol , if he selects the model with same price then only it can be compared.

aah , i'm getting confused , and i will confuse you also [lol] so lets wait for him to answer what he says ok.
Yes you are right but what if he has to decide between brio smt o and ritz vdi only that is what iam trying to say hope you get me ? Let's confuse each other and the op now [lol]

Cannot compare these two. If its Brio S(O) Petrol OR Maruti Ritz VDi ABS, I wouild say go for ritz (If you are ok with the design of ritz). Its just a difference of 70-80k. The price you pay extra for loan can be saved during the diesel costs, also, when you have a long journey's, you will save a lot.

Cannot compare these two. If its Brio S(O) Petrol OR Maruti Ritz VDi ABS, I wouild say go for ritz (If you are ok with the design of ritz). Its just a difference of 70-80k. The price you pay extra for loan can be saved during the diesel costs, also, when you have a long journey's, you will save a lot.
Iam not saying compare model wise model iam just saying taking the price difference in consideration his daily running recovery period of the extra premium he will pay for ritz .

Refer the calculation mentioned in below picture.
The simple way that if you drive 10k kms a year you will save 30k
By this rate you will recover additional 74K in two years.

Wait what am I doing by the knowing that statistics is like a bikini: "What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."
Refer the calculation mentioned in below picture.
The simple way that if you drive 10k kms a year you will save 30k
By this rate you will recover additional 74K in two years.

Wait what I am doing though knowing that statistics is like a bikini: "What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

Forget everything and Follow the thumb rule
If someone wants to showcase that I have car: - buy petrol
If someone wants to real time use buy: - diesel.

Attachments

Top Bottom