Honda Brio - Lack of Acceleration

Thread Starter #1
I have purchased Brio in month of March 12 and the drive is very smooth just like butter. It was wise decision in buying this Honda Brio. However, I observed a couple of not good behavior by Brio. When I slow down to speed of 5 KMPH with gear shifted from higher to 2nd gear and here now if i press the accelerator, i was expecting a zoooomm, but instead it took time to recover and then slowly the RPM began to raise. I feel the acceleration of Brio is not as much as compared to swift, cause couple of times swift zoomed past my brio even though i press the accelerator fully.. Not sure whether there is fault in my driving...

Honda cars have poor low end torque. They show their real power at higher ends only. Hence i dont think there a need to worry. The similar low end toque is experience even in premium Honda Sedans like City and Civic.

Yes, the low end torque is less than what's needed, however, that is something we would need to sacrifice for fuel efficiency.

I have purchased Brio in month of March 12 and the drive is very smooth just like butter. It was wise decision in buying this Honda Brio. However, I observed a couple of not good behavior by Brio. When I slow down to speed of 5 KMPH with gear shifted from higher to 2nd gear and here now if i press the accelerator, i was expecting a zoooomm, but instead it took time to recover and then slowly the RPM began to raise. I feel the acceleration of Brio is not as much as compared to swift, cause couple of times swift zoomed past my brio even though i press the accelerator fully.. Not sure whether there is fault in my driving...
That's because it does not create enough power at lower torque which is same with almost all Honda cars, even the V4 accord does the same thing as compared to other cars in that segment. So i guess there is nothing to worry.

Honda cars have poor low end torque. They show their real power at higher ends only. Hence i dont think there a need to worry. The similar low end toque is experience even in premium Honda Sedans like City and Civic.
+100 to that. Even i feel that in my Civic as compared to other cars in the same segment. But at higher end it is real fun to drive this car.

I think all modern Honda engines come on song only above 3000rpm. Therefore, below 2000rpm do not expect much. I have driven a Jazz (same engine and heavier) and was able to pull cleanly from below 1000rpm. I was not looking for performance, just easy driveability.

@sach: I agree with what you have stated and too faced the same issue initially. Had to re-learn.
While in other cars (on the move at 5km/hr) second gear would be good enough, in my Jazz I have to come down to first gear, accelerate a little to 15 km/hr (approx) and then shift up to second. I think the same would apply for your Brio too.
I am quite confident that if you do this, the Swift will no longer zoom past [:)].

With speed as low as 5Kmphr in Brio kindly shift to 1st gear if you want to accelerate. Petrol Vehicles is low on power in low rpms.

I am with Chayan for this.

I think all modern Honda engines come on song only above 3000rpm. Therefore, below 2000rpm do not expect much. I have driven a Jazz (same engine and heavier) and was able to pull cleanly from below 1000rpm. I was not looking for performance, just easy driveability.
I second sgiitk on this. At higher rpm, the iVTec engine is intoxicating.. it revs that freely.
Also once you start driving it and the engine settles down, you would be able to find one or two sweet spots. If you keep the speed/rpm on these, the engine delivers astounding mileage.
From experience, my Jazz gives me near about 22km/lt if I can keep it at 60km/hr@2700/2800 rpm or 82 km/hr@3300 rpm (approx). Not achievable in the city, but on highway can be achieved easily. Since I travel with family mostly, keeping it at 80km/hr does not bother me.
Since Brio has the same engine and overall lighter, once you find the sweet spot, should give you better figures.

Thread Starter #10
Thanks a lot for the quick response. So in the case i mentioned, i will shift to 1st gear instead of 2nd gear .. let me see how swift can zoom ahead .... :-)

Thanks a lot for the quick response. So in the case i mentioned, i will shift to 1st gear instead of 2nd gear .. let me see how swift can zoom ahead .... :-)
Modern engines are peppier but at higher revs. Just compare the i10 with the 1.1 and 1.2 engines. Even in the dinosaur age the Amby was far more forgiving than the FIAT.

I suggest you learn to adjust to the characteristics of your engine.

To get the best economy try and avoid going into the Aggressive Cam mode too foten. Drive gently, and as far as possible stay below 3500rpm. You will feel the cam with a kick as well as a snarl in the exhaust note. Not that much fun, but at least 20-30% more economical.

When I slow down to speed of 5 KMPH with gear shifted from higher to 2nd gear and here now if i press the accelerator, i was expecting a zoooomm, but instead it took time to recover and then slowly the RPM began to raise. I feel the acceleration of Brio is not as much as compared to swift, cause couple of times swift zoomed past my brio even though i press the accelerator fully.. Not sure whether there is fault in my driving...
One small tip mate, the scenario you explained gives the answer very much

First as you said you pressed the accelerator and you pressed it fully, be it any car when you do it the car wouldn't zoom away unless its on the ideal RPM to zoom through or give the flow, but when you give a light foot on the pedal its zooms consistently, the swift guy would also have done the same thing to accelarate he would have give an light foot but gradually and not on a full throtle

However the tuning of the car also depends on the initial acceleartion, i had my vTech custom tuned for awesome response by automechs on 2nd but on ideal proportion so as not to hamper the actual set up for exhaust sound, your Brio can be tuned to a considerable level after 2 service from your initial buy

Originally Posted by sach

When I slow down to speed of 5 KMPH with gear shifted from higher to 2nd gear and here now if i press the accelerator, i was expecting a zoooomm, but instead it took time to recover and then slowly the RPM began to raise. I feel the acceleration of Brio is not as much as compared to swift, cause couple of times swift zoomed past my brio even though i press the accelerator fully.. Not sure whether there is fault in my driving...
At 5kmph petrol engines should be on 1st gear unlike diesels.no wonder if it dont go zoom.

Hi all,

I bought the Honda Brio 2 years back. I have not been getting very good FE figures from the start. But off late it has decreased even more. In normal traffic I get an FE of about 8-8.5 with AC on. I took it to the service center but they did not provide me any solution. Instead, the CRM said that FE depends on many conditions and rode me off even though I fought a lot with him.
Please suggest what should I do now?

Hi all,

I bought the Honda Brio 2 years back. I have not been getting very good FE figures from the start. But off late it has decreased even more. In normal traffic I get an FE of about 8-8.5 with AC on. I took it to the service center but they did not provide me any solution. Instead, the CRM said that FE depends on many conditions and rode me off even though I fought a lot with him.
Please suggest what should I do now?
Contact the company through their site. How much the car traveled? My Ritz improved dramatically after 3500 KM.[:D]

Top Bottom