Honda BR-V Review & Pictures: Bold Runabout Vehicle

Thread Starter #17
Thanks a lot for appreciation saarji

Well, the only thing that particularly impressed me was the nature of CVT in which it slowly used to slip itself into a high overdrive after it used to detect that required speed is reached.

If you drive with a light foot then the revs literally never go beyond 2000 mark even till 100 kph and if you accelerate hard to 100 kph then its all noisy but once you have eased off the gas at 100 kph then:
The speed will keep on increasing slowly time and again and you will ease off even more. Finally you realize that from 6200 rpm you have slowly reached 1900-1950 rpm with your speedo needle firmly holding at 100 kph mark. And I tell you guys, this is where the difference between a petrol and diesel is well pronounced. I mean while at this time, the BR-V is very silent and you actually love to be in that place because engine doesn't make it's presence felt and all you get to listen is road and tyre noise.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Yes, CVTs do shine there. I guess BRV Feels at home hauling people in dense city traffic or around the city. It does not appear a proper highway cruiser. Did you try cruising beyond 140?

Other puzzle is poor FE you people got. Don't know if that was faulty ECU/ Fuel gague in that car. But doing 100 at below 1.8k RPM , I would expect FE around 18 KMPL. Even Mighty XUV 2.2 returns 15~16 when driven lightly. With a heavy foot, XUV returns 12~12.5. Thats we hitting x70, Cruizing near 140 and all.

12 for BRV is really pathetic.

Honda had something called 2.0 IDTEC for the city of yesteryears. Unless they provide a good diesel with good FE, BRV shall fail in India.

Last edited:
Superb review vipul,
Prospective buyers will definitely be helped with all the time and effort that you have put into all this.
Well done and keep it up.

Thread Starter #20
Yes, CVTs do shine there. I guess BRV Feels at home hauling people in dense city traffic or around the city. It does not appear a proper highway cruiser. Did you try cruising beyond 140?
I touched 140 once while overtaking a stubborn Creta driver (Yaa, BR-V was quicker than Creta diesel there) and I guess this car is having some speed limit at around 150 kph though. A good thing IMO because none of these seven seaters (Including XUV) aren't good for such speeds.

Other puzzle is poor FE you people got. Don't know if that was faulty ECU/ Fuel gague in that car. But doing 100 at below 1.8k RPM , I would expect FE around 18 KMPL.
Same here, I had it being driven with ECO lamp illuminated most of the time but still the overall FE was pathetic. I agree that CVTs are very inefficient while you drive with heavy foot but I guess the high kerb weight and high displacement can be blamed here. This is no City and neither it is as light nor is as aerodynamic.

Even Mighty XUV 2.2 returns 15~16 when driven lightly. With a heavy foot, XUV returns 12~12.5. Thats we hitting x70, Cruizing near 140 and all.

12 for BRV is really pathetic.
Yesterday Doctor Sachin (He got his XUV 2 days back) was telling me that he is happy with 12 kpl as he was expecting 6-7; I told him exactly same thing as you wrote. From my experience, the FE of XUV 2.2 manual is like:
60 kph and its 15 kpl
80 in 6th and it's easily 16 kpl, add coasting and it reaches 17 (I got that on XUV)
100 and it's 14-14.5
120 and its still 12.5-13.5
140 and it's just 12
160 and it's suddenly 10 kpl
180 and you see 6-7 kpl only

12 in BR-V CVT is actually acceptable if it's attained in say 50-50 city highway drive.

Honda had something called 2.0 IDTEC for the city of yesteryears. Unless they provide a good diesel with good FE, BRV shall fail in India.
Diesel engine for BR-V is good enough actually.

Superb review vipul,
Prospective buyers will definitely be helped with all the time and effort that you have put into all this.
Well done and keep it up.
Thanks a lot sirji, see there is an XUV owner mentioning same FE figures as I told you. Heck, I don't like XUV but I am actually an honest boy who gives right advice [glasses] (You listening that all XUV owners?)

@TSI, great review. Did you get a chance to do any mild offroading, especially with a load of people on board ? That would have really tested the car in terms of its any-where-ability. A couple of pics left me in no doubt that the car is a people mover and not a true off road vehicle.The pic with the 1 litre bottle makes me feel that the 210 mm GC is under unladen conditions, and it will be much less with a load. For reference, attaching the picture of the 2WD Duster with its supposedly lesser 205mm GC, taken from team-bhp, and the car seems still higher off the ground than the BRV , especially when measured at the rear axle..

Secondly, the lack of engine protection for the car is shocking!

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #22
@Acechip
I can any time click such misguiding pics by putting a bottle under the rear overhang near the rear axle (will post a pic of VW Polo GC tomorrow this way to show you what I mean), in fact if you check just under the rear bumper all the way to the rear axle, you can easily put a 2 liter cold drink bottle there.

GC: Lowest point on the entire body of the vehicle barring the axles, knuckles etc. And its possible to have a point on the duster where the GC is as low as 205 mm.

Last edited:
The pictures may appear a bit misleading, I agree, but couldnt help think of the fact that the Duster appears higher off at the rear-axle point, if you see what I mean. Also, what do the Honda folks say about lack of engine protection ?

Thread Starter #24
See sirji, Duster is indeed a higher vehicle but GC on paper is the height of lowest point (sprung mass) on the chassis of the vehicle from the ground, given that the car is parked on a perfectly flat surface. Duster can be higher at back or front or at every side and angle but still there js skme point where Duster is 5 mm lower than the BR-V.

Rest guys should have put a protective sheet under the engine. It may not protect the oil sump from hard hits but still protects the entire engine bay from debris etc. Amazingly Honda has given it on the diesel car.

Thread Starter #25
@Acechip
Take a look at this pic of VW Polo with a 27.5 cm or say 275 mm bottle kept under the rear bumper, in fact the rear bumper itself is a bit lower than the body itself.

Excellent review Vipul sir with attention to detail.
Honda has brought in good product, with USP as 7 seater SUV, but missed on some essential features which the most of the urban users would like to have in there car like touch screen, reverse camera etc.
Lets see how honda manages to keep the sales number rolling.

Welcome to Honda family, Fiat always will be in heart

Hi Guys,
After a great 7 years spent with my Fiat Punto mjt, it's time to move on. I kept the car 7 months ideal after I moved to UK recently. Once I came back and drove, few issues shown up though the service was done. The issues started like coolant leakage, shock absorber problems, engine noise to name few. I did not feel the power and smoothness the same. After checking with FASS, got the statement like these issues can be temporarily fixed but can't be rectified fully. To cross verify went to Bosch service, there also got the similar feedback. The sooner I sell, the better. Finally with very very heavy heart, made a decision to sell it. Who really drives a fiat, knows the driving pleasure it gives. Its just like very hard to let go a member of family.

Now, as had to take a new car, requirements had to be freezed. As the family is growing, needed a 6/7 seater. Budget set to 15 lacs at max. Considering the diesel scenario in India and for wife's demand, decided to go with petrol this time, with automatic preferred. Being coming from fiat, drive quality was first priority over fancy features.
Shortlisted,
1- Mahindra Marazzo
2- MS Ertiga
3- Honda BR-V

No other car fitted in bracket due to Bangalore On road prices and seating capacity. Did the test drive all and rejected Marazzo with only diesel and somewhat did not like the looks. Drive quality was good but with M6 I was not happy with the features offered to the price. Ertiga felt very very light and I simply did not like MS vehicles for some reason.
Lastly reached Honda showroom and got a chance to see the BRV in flesh. Quite impressed from the front look. Did a test drive with CVT, awesome drive quality though the steering felt very light.. May be coming from punto hydrolic one. But overall very much spacious, perfect for 6 Adults, on top of that with offers upto 1 lac, perfectly suited the requirement.

Gone through reviews rigorously. Most negative thing got not a SUV, does not bother me much. 1 to 1.5 high priced, got it addressed with almost 1 lac discount. No AVN and rear camera, getting it from Honda accessories now.
So, I am getting the BR-V V CVT model soon. Will come up with a detailed ownership report soon. Any suggestions before I get the delivery would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
2019 Honda BRV Facelift Makes Global Debut – May Launch In India This Year

2019-honda-brv-facelift-india-launch-price-1.jpg

Honda BRV was launched in India around May 2016. It received an impressive response initially as sales were going strong. But post a few months after its launch, sales started to decline. In the past few months, sales of Honda BRV MPV average at about 300-400 units a month. In comparison, sales of rival Maruti Ertiga, which is also the best selling car in the segment, average at over 7k units a month.

2019-honda-brv-facelift-india-launch-price-3.jpg

This is the first major update given to the BRV MPV by Honda. Exterior changes in the front include new bumper with skid plate. This gives the 2019 Honda BRV a much more sportier look. Headlights are revised, with new inserts and LED DRLs. It also gets aggressive fog lamp housing, with chrome surround. Front grille remains similar to current BRV, but gets additional chrome slats, giving it a more premium stance.

Read:

Top Bottom