Honda Activa: Technical Problems & Solutions

Thread Starter #1
Activa is a vehicle which was first launched in 2003 in India , by Parent company Honda . Since then , it had changed the market trend , even now , Activa is one of the gearless scooters which sells in high numbers , recently launching Activa 6G (100-110cc ) which is BS6 compilant , and also Activa 125 (125cc )BS 6 compilant (Which had been already launched in later 2019 ) .
Overall the main engine configuration and gearbox configuration are similar , and maintenance procedure are relatively same for both ,post 2019 models gets Fuel injection .

All service protocols are given in user manual , summarising -
1. Engine oil change (10 W40 , Idemitzu brand - Honda Genuine Oil ) - 3000km /1 year (Its synthetic oil from my knowlege)
2. Drive belt oil /Gearoil /Tranmission oil (Honda genuine oil ) - depending upon viscosity (Noticably lighter as viscosity reduces ) , I change at 8k-10k km .
3.Clutch Greasing (Deassembly of gear box casing , and greasing the belt and related assy. components ) 2.5-3k km
4.Suspension Greasing (Greasing Suspension components in front , bushes are also inspected by the process - Pivot arm , collar arm bush , Kitbush) (depending upon road condition , I prefer 2k-3k km ) , for 125cc models , it is telescopic suspension , so doesn't need greasing , it requires change of fork oil as and when it starts drying off .
5. Brake adjustment (Need to be adjusted such a way that Combi setup isn't disturbed ), for disc brake models , brake fluid needs to be changed - I prefer 10k km (as moisture may build up in fluid overtime ) .
6.Belt tightening (Done along with clutch greasing ) - Crucial for durability of belt .
7.Air filter (Primary ) - Needs cleaning only in all services , but replacement preferred as and when the oil coat on the filter material is dried up .
8.Air filter secondray (Needs changing at all services ) Most service guys soak in oil and clean it and keep it back , i don't prefer that .
9. Battery Inspection ( Meaure the voltage and temperature of battery and check the battery fluid level , don't top with distilled water ) .
10. Tune the engine only if slow speed idling has an issue (lower idling or higher idling)

My activa is a 2013 HET model , it has clocked 26k km as of 2020 .
Major service events other than routine service (5 months / 2-3k km km- my running is low ) - All services in Authorised service centre
Last service I gave to a trusted FNG , AYYAPAN HONDA CARE (Trivandrum ) - Really satisfied with his work , will be giving to himf rom now on
1. 15k km (Fuel hose leak ) - Petrol smell when scooter is in idle
2.24k km (Fuel hose leak ) - Suddenly during a overtake vehicle went off (Luckily escaped as there wasn't any vehicle in opposite side ) , and when i tried twisting throttle , vehicle came back to life , but I noticed that Fuel Gauge , the level was dropping continously (Like in films ) , immediately came to a traffic snarl , i found wetness in my footwear , I looked underneath the vehicle , fuel was spilled , and the way I came had fuel trickles (If someone dropped a cigarrete butt , end ).
3. 26k km (Gave at FNG , as twice fuel hose issue came , thereby wanted a second opinion , and the guy did inspect , he told as of now no issues , but carburettor was cleaned , under my recommendation , I suspected soaking (Fuel leak ) , and he cleaned it .
4.Pending issue - Fork (since 12k km ) - Service staff told to change ASAP , as it may hinder with performance , FNG guy , had told , it will run without fuss ,as our roads damage the forks more , newer forks are also prone to same . He told each service , he will adjust the fork . If at all I find the ride to be harsh (Twisting and turning ) , just drop in , then we will disassemble the fork and see .

Tip - In dealership run centres , you can expect a great replacement job , but not a great repair job , in FNG , some FNG's don't have proper ramps (Some do work , by placing the vehicle in toppled down position ,which can damage the ride , scratches , and also sideways topple of components , but they do proper repair jobs ) .

Do comment any major service experiences .

Thread Starter #2
Have a query - Last sunday and today , I got same issue - Running about 8kms , turning off the scooter and suddenly within 10s , self started (but didn't start ) , on sunday though , turning off the scooter and turning on , tried self starting and it started , but today even it didn't work , but only during 3rd attempt , it started .
Note- While self starting , no starter motor sound , nor any lag in start . Also no weak horn or lights or indicator buzzer .
Battery is about 1.5-2 years old only . Also during cold start or any other start self start is working perfectly fine . What maybe the issue ?

Thread Starter #3
Kindly reply guys ....
Got a breakdown , I was taking a U turn , my ride suddenly went off , I tried self starting , I heard cranking , but vehicle didnt get turned on . I repeatedly tried , it didn't , I got off and parked it , after 5 min (Removed my helmet, and kept my phone inside the ride ) , I started again with self start , and it came alive , but when I raised the throttle , it was hissing a lot (Felt powerless) , I took it to my home (which is 1km from where I broke down ) . Ride stalled twice in between , while I was nearing my home , the fuel gauge was slowly dropping (I suspect a fuel hose break again) . It was inspected by FNG , he had told it as fine last month . Planning to take it to EVM honda , neeramankara here , who had changed the hose 2 months back .

Any explanation why fuel hose breaks so often ? Or is it any other issue ?

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Your Activa has an electrical problem.
Fuel hose has a kinking point/stress point somewhere. Look closely at the whole routing and you will find it.

Thread Starter #5
Update :
They had inspected , refitted the fuel line , also cleaned the carburettor once again (They told it was dusty ) . I don't know - Whether its the dealership service centre or the FNG I gave who didn't do the carb job last time .

Thread Starter #6
Had a service for the Activa, as I am in different country now, dad had given to the FNG- Ayyappan Honda, Tvm. As thursday was a holiday as part of Shivrathri, Dealership was closed, and he couldn't source Honda's own Engine oil. But Mr.Ayyappan had told , he stocks same spec(grade), engine oil and hence dad agreed to that. As part of general service, it was noted that the throttle cable was loose, hence that was changed. Gear Oil was also changed. Probably Air filter might have been changed, as the bill came to 1500rs.(As FNGs don't provide bills, can't say), anyways dad claims ride is riding without any hassles.

Top Bottom