Honda Activa 110: Our Purple Queen & Daily Work Horse

Thread Starter #46
We have been happy with our Purple Queen Honda Activa for more than 7 years now.

The recent most service was completed with SVM HONDA last month, however this time, there were teething issues, one after another.

Still Diwakar addressed each and every issue that teethed out post service, such as vibrations from the head light mask panel even after replacement, vibrations from clutch, etc. Things were very prompt and professional from Diwakar.

In the current service, the last coupon from the existing AMC was handed over, and hence Diwakar offered an advance renewal of AMC for the upcoming service for an attractive mouth watering price, and we bought it, which would cover our next 3 services (supposing 18 months as per our usage).

However, within a fortnight after service, the vehicle idling speed got messed somehow, and the vehicle started going off during slow speeds / idling movements, which bothered wife's city movement. Handed over the vehicle in SVM Avadi, and Diwakar was informed. He ensured that the vehicle was completely checked, and some dust was reportedly found in the carburetor jet needle, due to which the petrol was blocked, which had caused the issue. The carburetor was completely cleaned and the issue was fixed. I voluntarily offered to pay the labour charges for carburetor cleaning, etc, but Diwakar politely refused. I would wholeheartedly love to pay for his service though.

In the last service, nothing major was replaced, except the engine oil. All electricals, suspension, engine parts were found working well. No issues, except the above two issues, which were professionally sorted out by Diwakar.

As ever, I am wholeheartedly satisfied with SVM HONDA - Avadi and Diwakar, who is an asset of SVM HONDA. The vehicle runs butter smooth, even though it shows its signs of ageing now and then (which is apparent for a 7+ year old vehicle). Hope to experience a hassle free and long lasting ownership with my Purple Queen, SVM HONDA AVADI and of course Diwakar, who is our bridge.

Thanks and Regards
Kumar S
+91 7200067199

Thread Starter #47
The major replacements I remember doing in my Activa are as below:

1. Front suspension bushes (wear and tear)
2. Rear suspension bushes and rubber (wear and tear)
3. Combi Brake cable from LH to font brake alone (wear and tear)
4. V Belt assembly with Clutch Shoe and relevant components (after 24000 kms - regular maintenance replacement - wear and tear)
5. Fuel tap assembly was changed as a result of sudden brake down of vehicle way back in 2018 or even before (wear and tear category)
6. Side stand assembly from HONDA (wear and tear)
7. Left metal footrest for ladies (from local spare parts shop) - since it became lose and started being opened all the time while on ride which could cause safety hazards to self as well as other motorists around (wear and tear again)
8. Front Head Lamp mask (from local spare parts shop) - this started making too much vibration and noise as its left portion towards the mirror rod insert was broken due to some fall way back in 2017 (accidental damage)
9. RH mirror assembly (from local spare parts shop) - This was my contribution [frustration]as a woman came into the road near Sowcarpet when I was with my wife and some shopped articles on the bike, and a lady suddenly appeared from my right, and I somehow managed to control the situation, but my RH mirror had hit the lady's arm so forecefully that the RH mirror's position completely changed and the same couldn't be adjusted back. The mirror was turned to some awkward position in the bike, which didn't help us to view the rear end of the vehicle on the ride. Checked with SVM HONDA and was told by Diwakar that the internal screws or something has conked off and the mirror needs replacement. (accidental damage).
10. Rear brake shoes were changed twice in these 34000 kms I guess (wear and tear)
11. Front brake shoes, possibly were replaced once (wear and tear)
12. Gear oil (100 ml) was replaced / topped up for a sum of INR 90.00 once last year. (maintenance requirement)

Apart from the above, I don't remember any other replacement apart from Engine oil, in the bike.

The bike is about to touch 34000 kms mark in the odometer soon. No issues that could set off mine and my family's support and vouches for Honda Active, which indeed is a Queen of scooteretes.

Even though modern scooters coming into the market are equipped with numerous facilities, features and gizmos, but Activa is always Activa.

The primary reason for my mad love on Activa is its metallic body, which twice saved my wife's life in a couple of accidents.

Once in 2017, she hit a dog which was trying to cross the road, and voila, she balanced herself and avoided a fall. Thanks to Activa's impact-absorbing body.

Second in 2017 / 18, do not remember though, when she was riding in 30 kph, a Pulsar 180cc with a pillion, most probably drunk, brutally overtook her when they ended up encountering a cow that was trying to cross the road. Guess what, the rider of Pulsar was on roads with bleeding ears, and due to the forceful impact, the Pulsar alone came back (reverse force I guess), and hit the right body panel of my wife's Activa.

Guess what - the wonderful and savior metallic body of our Activa had absorbed the whole impact, and she managed herself from falling, and she regained her controlled and stopped as she was below 25 kph when this impact happened. The impact from the Pulsar was that heavy on the Activa RH panel, that it left a permanent dent near the air flow holes of the panel, which couldn't be dented or repaired as per SVM HONDA. Not only that, the impact had reached the under seat storage compartment, where my wife has her helmet. The loyal helmet inside the stoarage compartment, finally received the impact of the pulsar and the glass piece of the helmet cracked into two.

I can assure and challenge that had she been riding any other bike. be it Dio, Scooty, Jupiter, or any other scooter with plastic or fibre body, she would definitely have fallen down after taking the impact into her and also the damages in the scooter would have been high as definitely we would have had the broken RH panel and other visible damages due to the fall.

My Purple Queen with her metal body, saved my wife from falling, and also I didn't spend any money on repairs, as SVM HONDA had clearly told me that the RH panel cannot be repaired for dent as the impact and dent was near the air-hole, and also the plastic panel in the storage compartment, which was cracked would demand a whooping 1500-2000 rupees, which in Diwakar's opinion would be a waste of money. He also said if I go for insurance claim, I would hardly get even 50% of the amount reimbursed. Diwakar further made some tweaking adjustments in the impacted RH panel of the scooter, and we are running fine with the scooter for more than 3+ years now, after the incident.

Hope all the above pointers do justify my love, our vouch for the Honda Activa (metallic body) scooter.

During last service in September 2021, we happened to approach SVM HONDA SALES Showroom in Avadi to check for the other scooters. The sales girl there was happy to help and guide us. We saw the 6G variants of 110cc Activas, which were costing around INR 86,000 and INR 88,000 INR on the road without fittings. We then turned our heads towards Activa 125, which has a more powerful 125 cc engine, and they cost around 90,000 (drum variant); 94,000 for disc brake variant and 98,000 for alloy disc wheel variant on road, without fittings.

I was happy to see the new features in the FI engines of Activa 125 and its metallic body and offered to buy a vehicle for my wife then and there. We called the vehicle exchange person and told him our desire. He took the model of our Activa (2014), its running (less than 34000 kms), and said he can offer INR 17,000.00 to INR 18,000.00 for our Purple Queen in case we exchange for a brand new Activa (110 / 125). We were not happy with the evaluation. He then proceeded to check our Activa in person, he did a test ride, checked the service records and immediately re-evaluated it for INR 20,000.00.

We checked if it could fetch us around 30,000.00, but the exchange person wasn't comfortable with the price we demanded on our vehicle. I told him that I shall get back to him and we walked away.

I once again asked my wife if she would love to upgrade to a more powerful motor (125cc) of the same Activa flagship of Honda.

What next, she politely refused and said that she wants to keep her Purple Queen with her for lifetime as she has developed an emotional attachment with our Activa 2014.

This is how we nurture our Activa, and it deserves all the praises, vouches and assurances.

Rest in Next.... Have a great day.

Thread Starter #48
The next predicted expense (major - 4 digit sum) seems to be wheel rims of my Activa, which has rusted to a great extent. Honda quotes around 2,500.00 per pair (for both wheels, as they don't have provision of replacing for one wheel).

No other major expenses foreseen as of now.

The other thing that needs to be checked should be probable rusting. Does anyone have an idea of which are the prone areas for corrosion in a 7 year old Activa. Factually, I don't live too near to sea-coastal area. I live somewhere around 30 kms away, in Avadi.....Any suggestion is welcome, as I (we) want to keep this scooterette for lifetime (at least till RTO and Government allows legally to), and our running is also very low, which is around less than 5000 kms a year.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Swift's alloy rim itself costs 1500 only ![think]
It's very difficult to believe. Really, only 1500₹ for alloys?!
I purchased OEM accesory wheel caps/ covers for my Swift for 2400₹ in 2008. I can't imagine the price of alloy rims.
I hope you meant to say covers and not rims.

Last edited:

deville_56

Honoured Member
The next predicted expense (major - 4 digit sum) seems to be wheel rims of my Activa, which has rusted to a great extent. Honda quotes around 2,500.00 per pair (for both wheels, as they don't have provision of replacing for one wheel).
I think the rims are same as their Hero counterparts and costs significantly less and available as single piece. Most of the Honda and Hero parts are same/reverse compatible and Honda always charge a premium. For ignition coil, Honda charges ₹1100 and Hero part comes at only ₹800. I buy from Hero as much as possible so do my mechanic. Also, lots of after market rims are available, which are as good as OE rims, costs only ₹700-800.

(Please post photos with updates to make it interesting and engaging).

Thread Starter #53
I think the rims are same as their Hero counterparts and costs significantly less and available as single piece. Most of the Honda and Hero parts are same/reverse compatible and Honda always charge a premium. For ignition coil, Honda charges ₹1100 and Hero part comes at only ₹800. I buy from Hero as much as possible so do my mechanic. Also, lots of after market rims are available, which are as good as OE rims, costs only ₹700-800.

Hi Deville - Thanks a lot for the news. I never knew this strategy, though I am aware of the close business relationship between HERO and HONDA, who were the most powerful business collaboration in the two wheeler motor industry in India.

While the replacement comes in mandatory (when the tyre starts deflating due to the rust on the rim), I shall look for after market options.

And you are right in stating after market spares are dead cheap. I have had examples.

The ladies footrest (metallic one) cost me around 380/- aftermarket, when the same one from Honda was quoted INR 950/-.

The head light mask in Honda was quoted INR 950/-, when an aftermarket peace cost me around 420/-, less than half of showroom quoted price.

I was skeptical when it comes to crucial and moving parts, and hence had decided to go with Honda's rims by shelling out around 2,500/- per pair, however post your advise, I feel I can go aftermarket, where I can save cost, and also I can replace a single rim unlike Honda, where they replace only both at a time.

Thanks Deville once again for guiding me at the right time. I shall keep posted any development, change or replacement on my wife's current ride - Honda Activa 2014

[cheers]

Sure Deville. Shall try to post photos as much as possible.

Regards
Kumar S

Thread Starter #55
Long gap again. Activa is good going, strong and delivering an FE of around 47 kmpl on average. PMS services are being done still with SVM HONDA, Avadi and things are good till now.

There was an issue with the speedo needle which used to suddenly waver towards extreme right and cause some unusual noise, which is scary. This has been in for some one year now, and it occurs very rare, but when it does, the rider (me / my wife) get real scared, as if something is going to break and fall down from the scoot.

Finally, we got a solution today for that. When approached SVM HONDA, SA Diwakar said the only option is to change the whole speedo meter console which costs north of 2000 bucks and suggested to visit the Ambattur Meter repair shop. I had been there before a couple of years to sort out the misfunctioning odometer reading, and they do pretty decent job for just INR 300/-.

Today, on Diwakar (SVM HONDA)'s recommendation, my wife had taken the vehicle to that meter repair shop and got the entire speedometer set (movable parts) lubricated and serviced. The personnel was very intelligent and seems he has narrated all symptoms and issues, which exactly matched with what my wife had been facing. Finally the issue was sorted out for just the same INR 300/-. The speedo glass on top had hunderds of scratches and she preferred a replacement. Luckily there was a glass shop nearby that meter shop and she got a piece done for her bike for INR 90/- and the same was fitted by the meter repair guy alongwith.

The meter repair guy also offered to back the meter reading to ZERO, which my wife plainly refused. The odo is somewhere around 46,500 kms in the past 9.5 years of ownership and we are good with the reading and we do not have any plans to push off this vehicle to some scape goat stating the vehicle is low run. We always prefer selling our vehicles with genuine odometer reading, as we belive there's no point in showing our smartness to the poor unsuspecting buyer.

Thread Starter #56
Activa has been running on her 3rd rear tyre (replaced in May 2023 due to tyre blast) and 2nd front tyre. I think the average life of these tyres are commendable. First rear tyre was replaced at around 17 to 18,000 kms and the second one was replaced around 39,000 kms if I am not wrong. Front tyres, I haven't kept records of the odo readings when each of them were replaced.

Overall, as we say "Old is Gold", I don't think the modern Activa 6G or even the upcoming (not sure) 7G is equally capable when compared to the old ones (2G - I call it so, the stickered ones, pre 3 G).

We have considered replacement multiple times, twice with an Activa 125, once with NTorque 125cc 3 valve; once with Yamaha Aerox 155 L/C.

Activa 125cc - though sounds more powerful on papers, but the initial torque of the BS6 125 was felt almost equal to the initial torque of my BS3 110 cc Activa, and hence my wife was not impressed. Further, the pick up was not great for the upgrade of 15 cc in terms of displacement and above all, the vehicle was felt extremely light weight by her. Since wife prefers heavier vehicles (spoilt by 2014 Activa), she is never comfortable with Dio / Ray as well. Finally, the upgrade from our BS3 110 cc Activa to BS6 Activa 125cc was not found to be a proper upgrade. Missed on the smaller seat length and comfort, wherein she was sure she cannot seat herself and my two healthy daughters simultaneously with the same level of comfort when she carries them in our BS3 one.

I was not happy with Yamaha Aerox due to its absurd rear suspension. Solo ride will result in back pain and spine issues of the rider, I can't risk my 40+ yo wife to undergo that stuff after paying a whooping 1.8 lakhs on road price. Secondly, Yamaha showroom in Avadi didn't accept my test ride request and somehow I decided I am not a scapegoat or blockhead to shoot out my hard earned money on someone who doesn't even faciliate a test drive for a nearly 200,000 rupee bike. Furthermore, the liquid cooled engine, though a fantastic performer, will be a wallet digger for sure, in terms of maintanence, repairs, etc. An Air Cooled engine equipped scooterette will do the job for me and my wife.

We need a utility bike for carrying our kids, grocery stuff, sometimes LPG cylinder, etc, without a fuss and our Activa does that job without breaking a sweat.

NTorque is on cards, it's a 3 valve 125 cc engine and my wife is blown with the performance as one of her aunts rides the same. However, the bike coming from TVS and my very sweet experiences [frustration]with TVS Services keeps both of us away from picking the NTORQUE, which seems to be a value for money considering it's a 3 valve (similar to my Victor, albeit 110 cc engine), its mind blowing performance in city as well as highways and its design.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #57
As an alternative for replacing Activa, we are also considering the EV zone, but we are confused between hub motor equipped vehicles vs the belt driven vehicles. Can anyone kindly throw some light on that. The purpose of the new vehicle (probably EV) would be for my wife to carry two healthy daughters (elder mostly cycles) to school, karate classes, pandit classes and other stuff. Also we need space for getting our groceries, veggies and other provision stuff from Avadi market which is too congested to be visited in four wheeler, thanks to the parking issue.

Also the maintenance should be light on the pocket, like around 2,500 to 3,000 bucks per year. The spare parts shouldn't be a haggling issue to procure in case of failures or repairs. Also, the vehicle needs to have some decent pickup to accommodate some 200+ kgs of people and some additional 7+ kg's of stuff to be carried.

The vehicle should have a decent range per charge so that we don't have to plug the vehicle for charging every day.

The vehicle needs to be be agile, easy to handle by ladies (shouldn't be an issue for her since she is good with handling a heavy 2014 Activa) and of course good to look.

When it comes to choosing an electric bike or scooter with either a belt drive or a hub motor, there are a few factors to consider. Here's a breakdown of the pros and cons of each:
Belt Drive: Pros:
  • Quieter operation compared to a chain drive
  • Low maintenance as belts do not require lubrication
  • More efficient than a chain drive, resulting in a longer battery life
  • Clean and environmentally friendly
Cons:
  • Higher cost compared to a chain drive
  • Less durable than a chain drive and may require more frequent replacement
  • Not suitable for off-road or rough terrain riding
Hub Motor: Pros:
  • Greater torque and power than a belt drive system
  • Low maintenance as there are no gears or chains to lubricate
  • Long-lasting and durable
Cons:
  • Heavier and more cumbersome than a belt drive system
  • Less efficient compared to a belt drive system, resulting in a shorter battery life
  • More difficult to repair or replace than a belt drive system
Ultimately, the choice between a belt drive and a hub motor will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you're looking for a low-maintenance, efficient, and quiet system, a belt drive may be the better option. However, if you require more power and torque, and don't mind the added weight, a hub motor may be the way to go. It's best to test ride both types of electric bikes or scooters before making a decision to see which one feels more comfortable and is suitable for your needs.

Source: Aarav, Motorhead

Top Bottom