HM Ambassador Diesel (2005) Ownership Review

Hi Hari
Both of the issues you said was there in my 84 Amby also. As i bought it second hand i dono when the brake shoes was changed previously. It ran about 89000 kms when i bought it. But my car had a different problem that the car wont stop when its going in a steep road. (for eg: while climbing a hill or going down.) By that time u have stand up on the brake pedal. then only it will slow down. Later only we came to know brake shoes were the culprit.

I also had oil leak from the crank case. We got confused whether gear oil or engine oil is leaking. It was engine oil only. Had changed the packing and it was rectified. Finally diesel & radiator water was leaking. Once while going in a busy traffic, suddenly temperature gauge crossed half the mark. stopped the car immediately and fetched some water nearby and solved it temporarily.

So please always have a look at the gauges as well as under the hood.

Thread Starter #47
Hi Shrikanth,

Thanks for the tips. I am regularly checking the vehicle for any problems/faults. I always keep an eye on the temperature gauge to see if there is any unusual heating, particularly on hot days. The mechanic who handles the car is a very reliable old man and I trust him more than I trust company service personnel. I suppose old cars have these issues from time to time, but Amby is relatively cheap to fix.

Hi Hari
Thats great. Among diesel cars Ambassador s the only car with low maintanance as well as low cost of spares. Usually during hot days or while A/C is switched on Amby's temperature will be at half mark only and remains there forever. If it crosses above 80 deg only its better to check.

Thread Starter #49
Thanks, Shrikanth. Yes, so far it's remaining about halfway mark, sometimes just a bit above that, but only on very hot afternoons when I am crawling through the traffic. Otherwise it's well below the halfway mark.

Hi Hari
People used to say to fit a thermostat particularly for Amby's on this heating issue. But Mech's say that its not suitable for Amby since it rusts faster. Try for an Electric fan since it reduces temperature considerably. But mostly it can be fitted within the grill only.

Thread Starter #51
Hi Hari
People used to say to fit a thermostat particularly for Amby's on this heating issue. But Mech's say that its not suitable for Amby since it rusts faster. Try for an Electric fan since it reduces temperature considerably. But mostly it can be fitted within the grill only.
Thanks again. I think a fan is a good idea.

Thread Starter #52
I have recently had to redo the suspension. It was creaking a lot, especially the steering and my father said it wasn't safe to go on longer trips on it.

But now it's much better. Steering also turns much smoother now. Looking forward to a long trip on it (hopefully soon!)

Thread Starter #56
Well, after getting used to driving around Amby, it's hard to drive a car with a lower seat/lower view of the road. I guess the extra height of the amby really gives you a better view of the road (at least in perspective).

I haven't taken it on a long trip yet, due to various reasons. I am planning to get it serviced before long and then take it on a longer ride.

The noise in the suspension has returned though. Not sure why, but it's not as bad as before but when I reverse into the house through the gate, the car has to climb down a little over a bump and it makes a squeaking noise for a moment as the rear wheel comes down.

Thread Starter #58
i hear squeaking noise in many cars
Yes I hope it's not anything big. I was wondering if it could be the differential rod scraping the ground? I hope not, but at a particular angle, it could probably touch the ground. Next time I should get somebody to observe when I reverse the car.

Thread Starter #60
Six months ownership review:

Excellent purchase. I am very glad to own this powerful and solid vehicle. The fact that it was second hand made me feel a lot less pained about slight scratches or bumps, but Ambassador doesn't get bumped too much anyway. It's a great vehicle to drive around, especially because it is tall enough that I am almost level with motorcycle riders. One thing I find difficult about small cars is that motorcyclists tower over me and I sometimes find it hard to judge distance between them and me. In Amby, I can gladly view the road without any problem and it is a pleasure to drive.

Repairs etc.

Only small work apart from initally changing seat covers and floor covers. Had to repair radiator and change oil. Also had to attend to minor oil leak problems. Once there was a leak in the diesel pipe leading out of the Engine which led to a bit of diesel loss, but got it repaired fairly cheaply. Had minor suspension issues, but attending to it only if absolutely needed. All in all, repairs have been fairly cheap thanks to local mechanic.

Mileage:

So far only driven maximum within the city and it gave around 11.5 kmpl average with AC. Worst was 10 kmpl (that was when some diesel leaked and I probably lost 7-8 litres) Latest and best mileage is around 12.5 kmpl so I am very happy. I have kept the tyres properly inflated of late, so that I continue to get good mileage from the car. Tyre condition is fairly decent so I guess I can run a few more thousand kilometres with the same tyres.

Comfort:

Great back seat comfort, as Amby is known for. Front seats are bucket seats, so equally comfortable for driver and co-passenger. Everybody who has rode in my Amby has complimented me.

A small incident: Recently a Japanese client of my friend saw my Amby and was very excited. He said he didn't see too many Ambys in India these days and I was very pleased at the recognition. I guess Ambys are fewer and fewer on city roads, but I love the vehicle.

Top Bottom