Hike of New Car Registration & Road Tax Charges in India

Thread Starter #1
From tomorrow there will be Abnormal hike in New Car Registration fees and Road Tax in West Bengal . The official order for exact rate of hike is yet to be reached at the RTOs . The fees will depend on the price of the cars not on cc of the car.

Re: Abnormal hike in New Car Registration fees and Road Tax

I have already warned about this on an other thread. Guys these is going to happen across the states very soon, hence you want to buy something take a quick decision and go ahead buying the vehicle and get it registered[:)]

I have already warned about this on an other thread. Guys these is going to happen across the states very soon, hence you want to buy something take a quick decision and go ahead buying the vehicle and get it registered[:)]
In April they did a hike in Mumbai is some more hike is in waiting ?

Yeah Raja

It is just to be announced in AP [cry]
Any idea what the new charges are going to be? In AP, currently the life tax is 9% for new vehicles. But if you have a vehicle already registered in your name I think it is 12%(not sure about this).

yes, I read this in a local news paper a few days back. It was something like

Current life tax on 2 wheelers is 9% will be hiked to 12%
Second vehicle if it is 2 wheeler then from 12% to 14%

Current life tax on 4 wheelers is 12% will be hiked to 14%
second vehicle if it is 4 wheeler then from 14% to 16%

The 4 wheeler one was upto some CC of the car or something related with its cost. so after that limit the taxes are increased from some 16% to 18% and 20% like that !!

The 4 wheeler one was upto some CC of the car or something related with its cost. so after that limit the taxes are increased from some 16% to 18% and 20% like that !!
Thanks for the info, RK. They are collecting so much tax, I wonder how much of it is put to good use[confused]. Everyday I am forced to drive thru so many potholes to reach office, thanks to the rains[frustration]. I wish we had rain-proof roads.

But this has been already implemented in Mumbai [confused]

My punto every day hits a new big pothole, where this pothole was not there one day before. Sadly I just trust the road and a new pothole is waiting for my car everyday. [anger] I just don't like taking my car out until rains are gone.

Thread Starter #12
I think it is rational to take road tax and registration fee on vehicle price . It was unjustified to take the road taxes etc on cc alone . The prices varies on same models in different variant . So the person using more luxury should pay more . But the road taxes like 6 % on vehicle price is too high.

Thread Starter #13
From TOI Kolkata

Cabinet nod to lifetime tax payment for cars
Swati Sengupta, TNN Jun 21, 2012, 01.20AM IST

Tags:
West Bengal|Mamata Banerjee|Left Front government|car tax|Additional Road Tax
KOLKATA: Now, pay the tax just once when you buy a car and it will be valid as long as the car lasts. The move is an attempt by the cash-strapped Mamata Banerjee government to garner as much revenues as it can. Till now, one was paying car tax for five years at a time. This system, too, was introduced by the Left Front government to mop up revenues. Prior to that, tax had to be paid annually.

The state cabinet, on Wednesday, cleared a proposal for lifetime tax payment for four-wheelers, two-wheelers, contract carriage and luxury taxis. It will, however, not be applicable for commercial vehicles like buses, trucks, taxis and auto rickshaws. While the government argues that it will mean less hassle for car owners as they will have to pay the tax only once, automobile companies and dealers are wary of the move and fear it will lead to a drop in sales due to the steep hike in initial payout.

From TOI Kolkata

Cabinet nod to lifetime tax payment for cars
Swati Sengupta, TNN Jun 21, 2012, 01.20AM IST

Tags:
West Bengal|Mamata Banerjee|Left Front government|car tax|Additional Road Tax
KOLKATA: Now, pay the tax just once when you buy a car and it will be valid as long as the car lasts. The move is an attempt by the cash-strapped Mamata Banerjee government to garner as much revenues as it can. Till now, one was paying car tax for five years at a time. This system, too, was introduced by the Left Front government to mop up revenues. Prior to that, tax had to be paid annually.

The state cabinet, on Wednesday, cleared a proposal for lifetime tax payment for four-wheelers, two-wheelers, contract carriage and luxury taxis. It will, however, not be applicable for commercial vehicles like buses, trucks, taxis and auto rickshaws. While the government argues that it will mean less hassle for car owners as they will have to pay the tax only once, automobile companies and dealers are wary of the move and fear it will lead to a drop in sales due to the steep hike in initial payout.
It means till now there is no lifetime tax in WB[surprise]

In AP they will collect the Lifetax at the time of buying itself

Top Bottom