Highway Speed Limits To Increase in India

Thread Starter #1
The road transport minsitry has decided to increase speed limits on highways.

NEW DELHI: You could soon drive at 130-140 kmph on expressways as the Centre plans to enhance the speed limits from the current 100kmph.

Highways minister Nitin Gadkari told TOI that the norms will be changed as more expressways with complete access control are built across the country.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/51366530.cms

Re: Increase of speed limits on highways

well unless there are strict rules around 120+ is a dangerous speed on highways. Imagine a tractor suddenly appearing out of nowhere right in front of you and you are doing 120+
a biker appears right in the middle of road at T junction and you are at 120+
a dog/cow/buffalo crossing the road
school kid tearing across the highway

Recipe for disaster. The highways should be fenced 2 wheelers /bullock carts etc should be banned. strong boundary between 2 lanes to prevent veehicles crossing the lanes. Then you can have 120+ KM speed limit. till then 80 is good enough.

Welcome move but with a precaution.

Honourable Minister Sahab, please provide better and safe roads as well. I can see that our express ways are getting better day by day but still a lot has to do to make them safe. Side fencing is the first thing. That will ensure that no stray dogs and other animals roam on the road. Otherwise, I like the initiative. We already travel in these speeds and this will ensure that we need not to worry about challans.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Modern cars are already cruising around 130~140. This will be a welcome move and shall be appreciated by people like us who enjoy high speed sprints.

However, having safer, better infrastructure is also essential as Indian roads are unsafe; Not due to speeds/handling of cars themselves but due to other external factors as highlighted by vikyjoshi.

Top Bottom