High Speed Driving - Do's and Don'ts

Re: High Speed Driving - Do's and Don'ts.

great thread Vipul sirji. good to see these one of a kind threads back. I totally agree with all your points. When engaging in high speed driving, make sure there are no distractions like loud music or constant blabbering co-passenger. recently I had tried to maxx my Civic and I had turned off music and asked my friend to be quiet as well to help me focus and it worked.

Thread Starter #18

^^ You may have missed that out, but that is some basic things one need to be remember.
What about sharing your ideas too buddy? Why not bring your too here so that all of us can finally make this thread complete with all the required info. [clap]

great thread Vipul sirji. good to see these one of a kind threads back. I totally agree with all your points. When engaging in high speed driving, make sure there are no distractions like loud music or constant blabbering co-passenger. recently I had tried to maxx my Civic and I had turned off music and asked my friend to be quiet as well to help me focus and it worked.
Thanks a lot sirji, the list is long and if everything goes well then one thread a month is done from my side.

This is excellent article and a very useful one. Thank you Vipul for this. Though I am aware of the braking distance increases with speed, the explanation with numbers is an eye opener and helps lot.

One thing I do during night drive to keep me awake is to open the window and allow the fresh cool air to come into the cabin for few minutes. This keeps you fresh. You can also play fast numbers to keep you awake.

Indeed it is very pleasant to drive in the night so long we are careful and aware of the tips mentioned. You may also follow well driven vehicle (key is to identify one such with matching speed [:)]) with decent gap. This relieves you from the dashing lights, easy to identify speed breaker etc.

Lane discipline in the highway (4 lane / 6 lane) leaves lot to be desired. You might follow the discipline and overtake from the right, but I have experienced people moving from left most lane to the right most lane in a 3 x 3 lane highway. Points mentioned in chapter 1 would to an extent rescue us from these people

Re: High Speed Driving - Do’s And Don’ts.

Broken myths!! Sounds to be a bit surprising. Can I know of the myths broken?
For an example the distance to stop at 80 kmph is way high than my idea of what I had .( sorry I am not good in grammar so if any mistake feel free to edit mods )

Really I thank you again for this wonderful post.[clap]

Thread Starter #21
Re: High Speed Driving - Do’s And Don’ts.

For an example the distance to stop at 80 kmph is way high than my idea of what I had .( sorry I am not good in grammar so if any mistake feel free to edit mods )
Same was with me until one day I got the practical experience of the same(with a broken front bumper and left headlight - that's my unique way of learning :stupid:) and you will be surprised to know that bigger motorcycles like P220, CBR 250, R15 etc have better braking and lesser sopping distance from some cars(Even DZire VDi - the non-ABS one with puny tires) from 80 kph or 100 kph.

Really I thank you again for this wonderful post.[clap]
Welcome but its nothing until we do discuss our observations, problems and ideas. A lot is there to learn and sharing our ideas just make it easier and joyful.

very informative thread Vipul. specially the calculations on stopping distances.
22-30Mts OMG i never thought of that[;)].

so does this mean that highspeed driving calls for Tyre upgrade from OEM stock tyres.
For ex. Dezire VDi,Vxi variants or other cars that come with 165 mm or lesser width?

Thread Starter #23

One thing I do during night drive to keep me awake is to open the window and allow the fresh cool air to come into the cabin for few minutes. This keeps you fresh. You can also play fast numbers to keep you awake.
Last night itself I drove down from Meerut to Jaipur and I followed everything you mentioned. Doing fast numbers too, but I can feel that my response time is also quite weakened during late night drives - maybe will now bring down my driving speeds from 160-170 kph to 100-120 kph. In fact will do it from now onwards.

very informative thread Vipul. specially the calculations on stopping distances.
22-30Mts OMG i never thought of that[;)].
The figures get even more astonishing if you take them to 140 or 160 kph. Try to stop your car doing 140 sometime by applying hard brakes(not hard enough to lock wheels) and you will be astonished to see that how long it took to stop(I have tried on even twice of tonne to see the stopping distance).

so does this mean that highspeed driving calls for Tyre upgrade from OEM stock tyres.
For ex. Dezire VDi,Vxi variants or other cars that come with 165 mm or lesser width?
Some cars come with tires good enough to carry high speeds and some have these cheap cost cutting too. Now you have cars like Ecosport, Fiesta, Swift ZXi/ZDi etc which come with good tires - wide enough to provide good grip. But then there are cars like Honda City, Hyundai i10, Maruti Suzuki Swift Land V trims which come with the skinny rubber which neither provide good grip while driving nor while stopping.

Fantastic writeup Vipul, clear concise thoughts, nice selection of chapters, nice crisp writing and excellent restraint shown - and i know very well all of the above doesnt come very naturally for the devil in you!

its great to see this thread and others and you should do it more often - positive energy when channeled well gives great constructive results! Keep it up! This thread will be immensely useful to many readers and rightfully deserves the automotive library section - i guess you have one of the most articles in this section - kudos !

Thanks for very elaborative & lucid article.

I believe that doing 100 kph (speed limit for most of our expressways) is actually a safe deal. At this speed you stand a chance to control your vehicle and also you are safe even if you by mistake enter the lane of a fast moving vehicle coming from behind, if you are doing 100 kph, then the driver of coming vehicle also gets some time to control the things..
Simple test is - at same road conditions, you try driving at different 80 / 100 / 120 kmph speed, & try analyze your mental load (stress). Probably you are quite relaxed at 80-100 kmph, enjoying the ride, while at 120-140 speed, your mind is quite tense analyzing road / traffic / both sides of road for any road turns, pedestrians / cyclists / motor cyclists ready to cross the road, because every second ~30meters road pass by you. This elevate adrenergic system in you, which is not advisable to have for long time. You can by yourself decide what speed to have. For me that speed is 80-100 kmph. That coincide is what you say, as per prevailing road & traffic conditions.

But these shoes definitely pose problem while driving, be it car or motorcycle.
Similar problems occur with water bottle or pepsi can, so better to avoid any things in driver foot area.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #26

Fantastic writeup Vipul, clear concise thoughts, nice selection of chapters, nice crisp writing and excellent restraint shown - and i know very well all of the above doesnt come very naturally for the devil in you!
No doubt, I myself felt that writing this thread was against my own principles :stupid: In fact it took a whole ot of stress on mind too. Still thanks for your valuable inputs at the time of thread creation, they helped me to make it a bit more 'complete'. [clap]

its great to see this thread and others and you should do it more often - positive energy when channeled well gives great constructive results! Keep it up! This thread will be immensely useful to many readers and rightfully deserves the automotive library section - i guess you have one of the most articles in this section - kudos !
Even I am also thinking of some new series. Maybe the 'Car-Care' series based on seasons(summer, winter, monsoon etc), long drives(what and how to prepare the car and yourself) and above all is a small 'DIY - automotive repairs thread'. But for making it I need to visit mechanics and all and now finding time for the same.
Rest something is already under the microscope and I have started cooking it - hoping to get it live within 4-5 days(if time allows).

Thanks for very elaborative & lucid article.
Welcome sirji, I am humbled [angel]

Simple test is - at same road conditions, you try driving at different 80 / 100 / 120 kmph speed, & try analyze your mental load (stress). Probably you are quite relaxed at 80-100 kmph, enjoying the ride, while at 120-140 speed, your mind is quite tense analyzing road / traffic / both sides of road for any road turns, pedestrians / cyclists / motor cyclists ready to cross the road, because every second ~30meters road pass by you. This elevate adrenergic system in you, which is not advisable to have for long time. You can by yourself decide what speed to have. For me that speed is 80-100 kmph. That coincide is what you say, as per prevailing road & traffic conditions.
+100 to each and every word of yours. In fact you just made me remember of a pic I saw once. It showed how our visibility coverage area(or driver's field of vision) reduces or converges with increase in speed.

Similar problems occur with water bottle or pepsi can, so better to avoid any things in driver foot area.
No doubt, and hence for the safety reasons, such things are better avoided in footwell.

In Kerala, Some things you need to worry in High speeds in NH other than potholes are water clogging, sharp curves, up & downs.

When you go through a NH or roads in kerala,you may see slight ups & downs. There may be water cloggs may be due to monsoon or some water authority drinking water pipes broken. Which may be half of your car tire deep and vehicles in front of you may be suddnly stopped or slowed due to this. Also some of the cars or heavy vehicles may try to speed up here and they make 'water wall' in front of you and you may be not able to see anything.
This also occur when water clogging is on the opposite line. The vehicles comes on the opposite line just splash the water to your car which doing 80-100km/hr speed in the right most line and you may not be able to see anything for the next 5 seconds. In case you are driving with windows down, they will make you have a bath on mud water. Since i ride my 2 wheeler on these situations daily, many times i had experianced this and even sometimes i had get this water in my mouth also.
So please carefull on this too.

Last edited:

Even I am also thinking of some new series. Maybe the 'Car-Care' series based on seasons(summer, winter, monsoon etc), long drives(what and how to prepare the car and yourself) and above all is a small 'DIY - automotive repairs thread'. But for making it I need to visit mechanics and all and now finding time for the same.
Rest something is already under the microscope and I have started cooking it - hoping to get it live within 4-5 days(if time allows).
Eagerly waiting for all of them. Basically till now I was a casual car owner or driver, having only knowledge how to open bonnet in a car or change tyre. But during hunt for new car, I came across this TAI site, which had made me hobbyist, & enthusiast. Now I take interest in car as like friends or patients, & your posts had helped me a lot.

Last edited:

@TSIVipul: Fantastic, excellent and extremely educative write up. Pretty sure this would enhance many a beginners' confidence to take on the highways. If you don't mind, would like to add a few tips from my side:

1. Fixated EYES: Irrespective of the speed, if one happens to overtake more vehicles, he/she is faster than many. This situation warrants improved "situation awareness around the vehicle". My eyes are generally fixed on the road (well) ahead, while stealing quick glances at the Mirrors. I do participate in all the chats going around in the car, head might turn (to make them believe I am actively participating), but the eyes NEVER leave the road / mirrors.
2. When you Drive at speed, do only that: Unless otherwise the situation is safe I don't try to read the Dash-Console nor power on my Camera. I want to enjoy a beautiful scene? I safely pull over to the left. I have to take that call (though over Bluetooth) ? I move to the slow lane, drop speed and answer that call. Casual chatting with family/friends inside the car is one thing; a phone call NEEDING one's attention is another thing. Same for Mobile Maps or fiddling with pen drives/CDs. STOP the car or ask someone else to do those.
3. Blind Zone: Those OVRMs are there to be deployed; not to be protected from sun stroke/cold wind. Yet, while changing lanes I don't trust them alone. My instructor taught me to turn my head to capture what is NOT shown by the mirrors. This is applicable at all speeds, in City as well as out of it.
4. Use that HORN: At night, before attempting to overtake a truck, better give a short horn, just to take care of the driver ahead who has momentarily missed your Dipper flashes and is unaware of your presence. This is STRICTLY applicable whenever the clearance around the vehicle up ahead is less. I had had some seriously scary moments in my life, and have come to love the inventor of the Horn Pad [evil]

Thread Starter #30

In Kerala, Some things you need to worry in High speeds in NH other than potholes are water clogging, sharp curves, up & downs.

When you go through a NH or roads in kerala,you may see slight ups & downs. There may be water cloggs may be due to monsoon or some water authority drinking water pipes broken. Which may be half of your car tire deep and vehicles in front of you may be suddnly stopped or slowed due to this. Also some of the cars or heavy vehicles may try to speed up here and they make 'water wall' in front of you and you may be not able to see anything.
For the very same reasons I have mentioned that one needs to take care that if every vehicle moving ahead of you is slowing down at a point then it's better if we also get prepared to slow down at the same point. Rest if any heavy vehicle is following you and the way ahead is water clogged then it's better to let the heavy vehicle and a couple of light vehicles pass before you. Observe them and then move ahead after anticipating the safest path.

This also occur when water clogging is on the opposite line. The vehicles comes on the opposite line just splash the water to your car which doing 80-100km/hr speed in the right most line and you may not be able to see anything for the next 5 seconds. In case you are driving with windows down, they will make you have a bath on mud water. Since i ride my 2 wheeler on these situations daily, many times i had experianced this and even sometimes i had get this water in my mouth also.
So please carefull on this too.
I always get angry and curse the 4 wheeler user when I look at them splashing water on the 2 wheeler occupants. In fact I've had quarreled with such drivers numerous time if I got splash on me while riding on my motorcycle of if I witness them doing so with some other two wheeler occupant - c'mon man, everyone deserves to be respected and I(my chauffy and friends too) follow the following practice and requests other members also to follow the same if they encounter any two wheeler crossing a water clogged road and you are also entering the same clogging at the same time.
habit.JPG

Eagerly waiting for all of them. Basically till now I was a casual car owner or driver, having only knowledge how to open bonnet in a car or change tyre. But during hunt for new car, I came across this TAI site, which had made me hobbyist, & enthusiast. Now I take interest in car as like friends or patients, & your posts had helped me a lot.
Well, I also love opening the bonnet and look at the engine like a pro :stupid:

@TSIVipul: Fantastic, excellent and extremely educative write up. Pretty sure this would enhance many a beginners' confidence to take on the highways. If you don't mind, would like to add a few tips from my side:

1. Fixated EYES: Irrespective of the speed, if one happens to overtake more vehicles, he/she is faster than many. This situation warrants improved "situation awareness around the vehicle". My eyes are generally fixed on the road (well) ahead, while stealing quick glances at the Mirrors. I do participate in all the chats going around in the car, head might turn (to make them believe I am actively participating), but the eyes NEVER leave the road / mirrors.
2. When you Drive at speed, do only that: Unless otherwise the situation is safe I don't try to read the Dash-Console nor power on my Camera. I want to enjoy a beautiful scene? I safely pull over to the left. I have to take that call (though over Bluetooth) ? I move to the slow lane, drop speed and answer that call. Casual chatting with family/friends inside the car is one thing; a phone call NEEDING one's attention is another thing. Same for Mobile Maps or fiddling with pen drives/CDs. STOP the car or ask someone else to do those.
3. Blind Zone: Those OVRMs are there to be deployed; not to be protected from sun stroke/cold wind. Yet, while changing lanes I don't trust them alone. My instructor taught me to turn my head to capture what is NOT shown by the mirrors. This is applicable at all speeds, in City as well as out of it.
4. Use that HORN: At night, before attempting to overtake a truck, better give a short horn, just to take care of the driver ahead who has momentarily missed your Dipper flashes and is unaware of your presence. This is STRICTLY applicable whenever the clearance around the vehicle up ahead is less. I had had some seriously scary moments in my life, and have come to love the inventor of the Horn Pad [evil]
Thanks a lot for dropping a few cents here buddy. It's just that if we discuss it all then only we can actually complete this thread. Sincere thanks again.

Top Bottom