High End Air Filters - Are They Really Worth It?

@jeno_turbo:One of the filters tested there was a stock replacement filter.A stock replacement is a performance filter made to fit in a factory airbox.It is for people who do not want to add extra plumbing for conical filters and for those who have space issues under the bonnet.

Hence even a stock replacement filter would be allowing as much air and dirt into the intake.

Any way you look at it, with increased airflow the particles that a filter allows also increases.Paper filters are better filters,I agree they restrict air flow but they are preventing more particles from entering.

As jayadev said when the airflow increases the air fuel mixture needs to be adjusted too.In a carburetted car the air fuel mixture is easy to adjust.With an ecu controlled car it is a big job.Requires accessing the ecu and recaliberating it.

Hence performance filters and stock replacement ones are more suited for racing and track day events.
That is a very useful bit of information for all enthusiasts around. So going for a stock replacement performance filter(oil or foam based) will do more harm than good for the Engine. So what about going for a better Paper filter which is made up of better/costlier components.Will do more good to the engine? Because stock filters are paper based as we all know, and cosworth filters promises better filtration rather than better power. Any idea about this?

http://india.cosworth.com/products/performance-parts/air-filters/car-air-filters-(india)/

Rev Hard,
Jeno

Thread Starter #17
Paper still traps more dirt than that.There is a reason why manufacturers void the warranty when a performance replacement filter is used.

Last edited:
Paper filters are dry. Yes.
And wet filters seemingly trap more dirt. Not exactly.
Paper filter have much smaller micron size than wet filters(cotton or nylon). This is the reason why paper filters trap more dirt than wet filters.
I personally feel, unless your a race driver by profession, you are racing regularly, and the car you are driving is sponsored one, high performance filters are not worth it. In day to day run, we need reliable performance from our cars, our cars should last long (lifetime for most of the cases in India).
So unless needed for a specific reason, installing high performance filters is waste of money and detrimental to engine's health.

Thread Starter #21
My point exactly nozzlering.Race cars/drag cars undergo engine rebuilds before every race.So they can afford to use performance filters.

Paper filter have much smaller micron size than wet filters(cotton or nylon). This is the reason why paper filters trap more dirt than wet filters.
Does that implies fiber filters with smaller micron size than paper filters cannot be made ?

Regarding the engine rebuild I don't think it is just due to filters they have to haul the engine.there can be many factors attributed .

BTW high end filters:- does that mean performance filter for racing only ?

Thread Starter #23
If the microns are lower, it is going to allow less air and that's not what performance filters are designed to do.

Using a performance or stock replacement filter is upto you.This topic is just to help and educate people who just go for performance filters blindly.Sort of pros and cons discussion.

Just to prove a point, lot can be said. Yes fiber filters with smaller microns can be made. maybe its already in market. But we are talking about options available to us. And is it viable to go for these options at a premium price?
High performance filters are used for specific purpose, which is used in limited fields. But same can be marketed for the masses which means profit for the makers.
At the end of the day, it all depends on what one wants, and how much one can spend? Isn't it!

A thread which finally has good thinking people discussing the facts,am really proud of you all [:D]

This reminds me of a thread where i had suggested to a newbie member that it wont give you much power,but some want to believe adding such an airfilter will perform miracles(that would be true if your airfilter was clogged also) ,just check out until post #9 where i decided i wont comment anymore http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/performance-zone/5559-green-cotton-k-n.html(dont want to offend anyone who wants to believe so,cos you are entitled to yours)
but to realize the facts just go ahead & look at some turbo swifts they just have like 2 sec improvement to 100,so here someone adds a stock replacement filter & whoss nos like power really??Unless your stock airfilter was really messed up bad you wont notice anything diff(maybe intake sound).

I agree with "jarpickle" that most of this is down to mental HP(imagination),like a exhaust end can on a car can make you feel like its from The Fast & the Furious.
And i have driven some cars which had these filters(even i wanted them at one time,atleast for the sound),a Accord 2.4 with replacement filter & Mugen End can,but most observed was my friends Zen which had a conical with custom intake pipes,but it was not exactly a cold air intake cos worry of water being sucked in was there ,car sounded amazing for first 6000 kms after which it sounded clogged,so after having it washed at 8000 odd km it sounded rev happy but never sounded the same & we had suspected after some running the washing solution left behind in the the airfilter was coating the sensors,before we knew it the car was feeling clogged after a few thousand km,so my friend gave up in pursuing performance from it,he rarely uses it,but he has gone diesel,since most of them are very fast anyways,

Another friend had changed to k&n(twin)on his Rd350 claimed a power increase,but it had a good free flow setup so i guess the filter did well in sync.

As for the Superbikes they claim to be helping after gaining speed,i guess this is due to lesser resistance as air passes through the Ram air intake,but as i have realized,you are totally messing up your engine even further,most of the Superbikes are screwed by the time they hit 15000 km anyways.

There is nothing wrong having a K&N or other brand filter in your car,but one must be realistic of the pros & cons.Remember mild improvement in throttle response does not mean increase in power.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #26
Just a discussion on the pros and cons of using performance and free flow filters on a regular basis.If you read the first post and the link it contains you will know that performance filters and or stock replacement filters compromise on filtration when allowing more volume of air to pass.

As you know a lot of enthusiasts just go for performance filters and or stock replacement filters without any actual knowledge on the subject so this is just to add to their knowledge.The performance filters and or stock replacement filters are not cheap either.

After reading through the writeup on this link:
Air Filtration Test

It is upto the individual to decide whether to go for one or not.

But one thing is not clear to me. If these stock replacement filters actually do harm to the engine by getting much particles then why it is used all over the world. Though I do not know if these are OEM for any manufacturer of high end cars.[confused]

Thread Starter #28
None of them are OEM all are OEM replacement ones.Cars that can be used for track events and which are also street legal sport these kinds of filters.

Even in most countries around the world the percentage of people using these filters is quite less.

Incompetence or lack of knowlledge does not prove worthlessness of any product. if high performance filters were so bad they wouldn't be doing any business.

Same thing applies to fuel to in order to increase perfomance one cannot put any high octane fuel and complain that anything above normal fuel is not worthy.
all have its own implications and advantageous .

But one thing is not clear to me. If these stock replacement filters actually do harm to the engine by getting much particles then why it is used all over the world. Though I do not know if these are OEM for any manufacturer of high end cars.
I wonder if small time components like airfilter would be made in house car manufacturing plants rather they will be outsourced from some reputed filter manufacturer at OEM price. where manufacturer has concerns on production cost and optimum performance (read not maximum performance) optimum means which meets minumum specs of efficiency,pollution control,component maintenance and such related factors.

regarding the harm : the air we breath too contains harmful particles but we cannot survive wearing a gas mask all the time. what we do is a compromise and take care not to venture into terrible environment. same logic for car too I cannot be convinced that a particle Filter is suited for all weather all condition, that cannot be .

Air filters acts little bit weird in rainy and humid weather like that of Kerala and I have observed some difference in throttle response from my MJD which is running on stock filter.

my Fiat ASS service tech has advised me to use K&N or some better filter for Kerala environment and he assures at least not for performance but to save money in the long run and there are no side effects for whichever cars has seen using it (neither void the warranty too).

Thread Starter #30
Take a look at the header Sir, you will see this is a discussion.

As for the lack of knowledge, this is the finding of tests done on various aftermarket and performance air filters.Why not take a look at it:
Air Filtration Test

We are here to just educate people about the reality of high flow filters.

We are not advising anyone anything.

It is upto the individual to decide what they want to do.

This is just a knowledge base to help people see both sides of the story.

Saying it again, this is just a pros and cons discussion topic.

Top Bottom