High End Air Filters - Are They Really Worth It?

Thread Starter #1
Everyone likes to change their air filters to K&N and other high end filters.But are these really increasing the HP at wheels at all?I think it is just mental HP(all in the head) that everyone gains after adding a K&N filter.But with increased flow isn't it letting more particles into the engine.How does this help a car in the long run?If people are looking at free flow filters I think they should read this article.
Air Filtration Test

Last edited:
Re: High End Air filters-Do they really work?

Everyone likes to change their air filters to K&N and other high end filters.But are these really increasing the HP at wheels at all?I think it is just mental HP(all in the head) that everyone gains after adding a K&N filter.But with increased flow isn't it letting more particles into the engine.How does this help a car in the long run?If people are looking at free flow filters I think they should read this article.
Air Filtration Test
Interesting finding jarpickle. I too agree that freeflow filters compromise a bit on filtration. Had the air been clean everywhere, there was no need of a filter at all.
Its a matter of discussion.
  • Is the increased power by use of free flow filters just immediate benefit?
  • Does the use of free flow filters bring down the life of engine?
  • Can't we just live with the stock air filters?
  • Or as mentioned above, the achievement of extra power by use of free flow filters is a mere myth?
[confused]

Thread Starter #3

Its not a myth, it does increase HP but, the risk just outweighs the benefits with unwanted particles going into the engine it isn't just worth the risk.The point to remember is that race cars that use these filters have engine rebuilds before each race and they are thoroughly cleaned before each race.Race engines are run for just 1 day not everyday.In our country dust and dirt is plenty (I love my country, but its the truth guys)and the free flow just allows all the particles to flow into the engine its not really recommended.

Thanks Jarpickle..for sharing this link.

I too have got a K&N stock filter, was planning to get a open/conical filter.
Plans dropped..

an airfilter only can not raise the power output drastically, a minimal of 2-3 hp cannot be felt at the wheels directly.

Thanks Jarpickle for posting this topic here.
I just purchased a Lancer and was planning to go for a high-end filter as I was told by the seller that it WOULD increase HP. After going through your thread I am now skeptical about the seller's words.

Thread Starter #7

The filters are good when they are used for a short period(drag race or circuit race) under normal usage the flow of particles into the engine is just not worth the extra few HP.

A high performance air filter without a Exhaust upgrade wont do much good except the engine rev note (which is addictive in some vehicles). And the increase is HP promised by the seller can hold true only in some cars, because there are some cars with filters which already gives enough air.
But when your old filter is totally jammed with dirt, and when you fit a high performance filter, you might get a great feeling of increase in power which the stock replacement can also give you. But its more of a mental horse power.

Regards
Jeno

Thread Starter #9
Please refer to the first post to find a link where they have tested the performance filter in everyday usage and found it lets in particles(dust/dirt/mud etc) into the engine.

Please refer to the first post to find a link where they have tested the performance filter in everyday usage and found it lets in particles(dust/dirt/mud etc) into the engine.
Yes, totally agree to your point. The job of the high performance filter is to allow more air, which in turn allows some dust particles too. But the real question is? Is the Air to Dust ratio worth the money and the actual usage.

stock: allows 50% air and 5% dust
Product X: allows 70% air and 10% dust
Product Y: allows 90% air and 40% dust

The dust ratio is less in the product X. So this is the actual performance measure of a filter.

But as u said , product Y is only for racing not for day to day usage. [glasses] , but we can consider using product X if we are ready to change the filter little earlier than normal.

Experts shed some more light on this ! [:)]

Regards,
Jeno

Recently I have stumbled upon a fact that not only air but air and water is also serious issue in engine. and the worst one is metal debris from the cranks and gears. compared to those, the dust escaping through air filters have negligible effect to count on other than false rumors and hogwash .

If high performance is expected with a serious filter a remap becomes mandatory to cop up with additional supply of air, other wise I believe there are chances of ECU data feed going haywire every time engine is cranked.

Its true that computers (ecu) are fool that doesn't mean you can fool it at your own will.there are certain criteria where computers inside your car is more intelligent and faster than what you can imagine.
this is my "layman" knowledge writing.

So, just dismissing off high filters as worthless definitily proved wrong here.

Thread Starter #12
Metal to metal grinding problem has been inherent problem since the time combustion engines were invented.This is reduced by using lubricants.That is why there is a specific time period for oil changes and engine flushes.

If a piece of metal goes in through the airbox it is due to a serious problem and means the airbox has failed.
These cases are quite less with stock air filters(stock airbox and element).Factory airboxes have a restrictor plate inside to restrict big pieces of metal or dirt to go into the filter and the filter takes care of the rest.The point of this page is to bring to light that performance filters are good for track day and racing events that take place over a limited period of time and not for everyday use where the filter is susceptible to letting dirt and dust into the engine.On the first post you will find a link where they have tested performance filters under everyday usage.

Water going into the engine is another problem all together.It is due to failure of other engine parts(head gasket failure)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
@jeno_turbo:Under normal usage.It is better to stick to a stock filter because it does its job of restricting more dust coming in that a performance filter because in day to day driving and in peak time driving(office hours)you are not going to be able to enjoy the performance benefits any which way.

A performance filter will make sense when you are on open roads or on a track.

Changing the performance airfilter before its service period doesn't do any good because a new performance filter will still let in more particles.This will mean you will have to change the oil more regularly and also need to flush the engine more frequently.

@jeno_turbo:Under normal usage.It is better to stick to a stock filter because it does its job of restricting more dust coming in that a performance filter because in day to day driving and in peak time driving(office hours)you are not going to be able to enjoy the performance benefits any which way.

A performance filter will make sense when you are on open roads or on a track.

Changing the performance airfilter before its service period doesn't do any good because a new performance filter will still let in more particles.This will mean you will have to change the oil more regularly and also need to flush the engine more frequently.
Thats a good point while comparing high performance cold air intake or conical filters with the stock filter.

But my point is using a stock replacement filter which promises to reduce dust and increase air intake must be a great deal. The stock paper filter is cheap(yet does its job well), while after market filters are oil based and collects more dust and allows more air too. its a win-win situation. Except for the fact that you have to spend more money. [:D] .

Imagine a oil based costly filter which promises 10% more air and 5% less dust than stock? You think its a good deal keeping in mind that your stock filter costs 500 bucks while the after market one costs 5k?

Rev Hard
Jeno

Thread Starter #15
@jeno_turbo:One of the filters tested there was a stock replacement filter.A stock replacement is a performance filter made to fit in a factory airbox.It is for people who do not want to add extra plumbing for conical filters and for those who have space issues under the bonnet.

Hence even a stock replacement filter would be allowing as much air and dirt into the intake.

Any way you look at it, with increased airflow the particles that a filter allows also increases.Paper filters are better filters,I agree they restrict air flow but they are preventing more particles from entering.

As jayadev said when the airflow increases the air fuel mixture needs to be adjusted too.In a carburetted car the air fuel mixture is easy to adjust.With an ecu controlled car it is a big job.Requires accessing the ecu and recaliberating it.

Hence performance filters and stock replacement ones are more suited for racing and track day events.

Top Bottom