Hi - Joe from Bangalore

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone - Im from Bangalore. Stumbled upon this site recently and decided to be a part of this forum.

I spend my spare time tweaking my cars. Less to do with looks though.
I have a Turbocharged Baleno and a Turbocharged Maruti 800 and a all stock Zen (wifes car). Both cars were turbo'ed as a DIY project. Baleno was done over 4 yrs back and M800 was done just over a year back.

Baleno turbo -

1.Stock engine internals
2. TRD turbo + TRD exhaust manifold (custom flange to mate it to G16 head)
3. Race Dynamics 901 ECU (Controlling fuel and ignition)
4. BOV
5. Suzuki RD - clutch
6. Trust (Greddy) - intercooler
7. Custom intake plumbing
8. Custom 2.5 inch exhaust setup.
9. Adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Maruti 800 turbo -

1. Stock engine internals
2. MHI turbo
3. BOV
4. Race Dynamics ECU (Piggyback)
5. Trust - intercooler
6. Custom intake plumbing
7. Custom turbo manifold
8. Custom 2" exhaust

My favorite pass time is to tune my cars. Try running different AFRs and ignition tables to see how the car performs while keeping check on the EGTs to make sure its in safe limits.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks. Will try and find time to do a write up with pics sometime soon I hope. Also need to figure out the right place to post it here.

Welcome to the forum Joe

Good to hear some really good mods on your baleno

Greddy - Trust intercooler are something realy good.
What engine management are you running (Race dynamics ) sounds more like a standalone but you said ignitions and fuel ) what about other sensors and temp control?

Whats TRD turbo ? are you talking about Toyota racing development ? am sure they don't really sell aftermarket parts even if you get them they might not be genuine.

how much boost are you currently running and whats the rwkw ? -if you dyno''ed

Thread Starter #7
Thanks Codename.

Yes, now using a Race Dynamics stand alone ECU on my Baleno. It has sub-maps for other correction/compensation factors like IAT, ECT, Idle control, Battery voltage, dwell, etc..

Its a relative small (quick spool) TRD ball bearing turbo from Toyota TRD kit for the toyota VITZ JDM. Its got a IHI CHRA with TRD spec cold and hot side.
Had it sourced through a friend working at Toyota middle east and picked it up when I went there.

Its running about 8 psi for over four years now.

thanks for the reply

Race dynamics , standalone unit was it easy to plugin . Also is your baleno OBD compliant ? did you ever read the error codes.

yeah thats good then man, because Its very hard to source the genuine parts and specially TRD . you can get them from Japan as they are plenty available in JDM.

8 psi , thats nice . do you have upgraded cooling system ? ( bigger radiator ) ?

I had a TRD Chaser that I imported in 2010 (205 KW) and Nissan skyline R33 Series II (190 kw) and sold these both in 2011

and bought another Skyline r33 s2 with 240rwkw running 14psi boost however now am getting a new engine for it cuz pistons got roasted

Thread Starter #9
Thats the sad part. They did not have a PnP wiring connector at the time. Had to wire-in/splice into the stock wiring loom. Not exactly straight forward - you need to have an ECU pin out diagram to locate the right wires to be tapped into.

Stock radiator, its holding up fine till 10 psi. Above 12 psi things seem to change on WOT runs ..lol.

Are you picking up a JDM front cut/ engine or a purpose built engine from a tuning house.
Please inspect a few things before you pick it up if its from an unknown source.
1. Cylinder compression (compare all cylinders - cold and warm)
2. Signs of spun/damaged bearings (disassemble the oil pan - if allowed)
3. Condition of the bore (blow by)
4. Condition of the turbo (shaft play, oil seals etc)

Im sure you may have done all this already. Would like to know more about your new build.

I had an R34 Engine in my R33 bay
Yes I got the whole half cut JDM Import and its currently in the process of installing r33 engine .

I inspected few things like how many ks and all that. I am getting a gaurantee on new engine because that why I am paying my top dollar!

am selling parts off my old engine and am sure I can make odd $1000 easily

Hello Joeking welcome to TAI, that was a nice intro of yours, and great mods you have done under the hood, we like to see the mods you did for Baleno and 800.

Have a pleasant stay and please feel free to contact the team for any kind of assistance[:)].

Thread Starter #13
Thanks Viswas

I have just posted about one of my earlier builds that was done back in 2007 - A "blow through" turbo setup on a carb Maruti 800.

Will post details of my present Mpfi M800 turbo and my turbo Baleno sometime soon .. I hope

Welcome aboard TAI Joe[:)]. Would love to hear more about your 800. Do post an ownership review mentioning the things you have done on it. And have a great time here.

Thread Starter #15
Thanks Jalex.

I have made a post on my older turbo build in the " The Performance Zone" section - Maruti 800 carb turbo

Top Bottom