Help with Insurance - Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
Hello Members,
since the time i have joined this forum, i have been pouring in my questions, for a simple reason that i see lot of learned people around and extending their help all the times.
This query is regarding getting insurance for my Maruti 800. my car is a 98 DX model and its comprehensive insurance expired in July 2010 and all credit to my delay, i didn't get it renewed and now i am stuck with the same. Not able to find insurance policies for my car.Can some one help in this car!
Some Background:
While i bought my vehicle, there was a small tinch on the front windshield which i was told that happened due to Stone strike. if you touch this, you wont be able to feel it from outside or inside, it just a small tinch. getting the insurance initially was fine,but when i tried to get it renewed, the earlier insurance provider(HDFC Ergo) refused saying that they wont insure the car with that tinch.
please help!

Hi Saurab,
From what i conclude from your post, you still have that crack on the windshield. And since your insurance expired quite long back(5months), i dont think you have any option by which it can be renewed. You will have to reinsure your car. I dont think even the new insurer will pay you for that cracked windshield. You will have to get it replaced by yourself.

Thread Starter #3
okie, so i can even share the pic of the one i am mentioned! its not a crack but jist a small section which has been there now for 2.5 years!
also i am not trying to get that reimbursed out of my insurance! any helps or pointers please!

350Z

Core Team
If the crack on windshield is minor, I think Windshield Experts can repair it without replacing the complete windshield. Perhaps, this way you can get the insurance renewed without hassles. By the way, You delayed in renewing just too much which should not have happened anyway, at first place.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #5
i agree on that part that i have delayed this a little too much..actually i planned to sell off this vehicle and hence didnt want to spend money and rather make the buyer aware of this but now i have changed my mind and hence looking to get everything to sparkling beauty!
let me check with windshield experts and get back!

Thread Starter #7
folks, sorry for the delay but today while coming back from office, i did visit the Dickenson road branch of "windshield experts". the manager or may be the owner was a nice guy and i told him that i have heard from lot of people about them and hence approached them assuming that this was a small one and they should be able to fix it. he politely mentioned that they should be able to fix it and he would get his engineer to take a look at it.
The engineer looked at it for a second and immediately mentioned that its better to change the windshield itself. he said that they can fix it and it can be done in 800 Rs but then it can come to square one in few months(6-8 months). he also mentioned that the car has its original glass and now has small scratches and it would be great to change the complete windshield itself. the price for new windshield quoted is 2700 Rs. the new windshield would require 2 hours to be done and they can even come down to my office and fix it there.
I again spoke to the owner and told him that for the same reason i came to them in assumption that they were the experts and he was kind of left double minded. he again mentioned that its better since if they fix it, chances are that this might come back again.
what do you people suggest?

Option1: go for new windshield from them.simplest straightforward option.
Option2: check with MASS for the same and see if there is any quotation difference.
Option3: Go for fixing the glass in 800 rs and then get insurance and may be later if required, get it fixed [:D]
-----------Next Post-----------
and just to give an idea, here is a pic which i had taken sometime back during a trip. never thought will use the pic like this :-)
will another pic tomorrow from the front and share.

Attachments

Last edited:
The best option will be to check out the quotation with MASS guys. If the price difference is small, better go to these windshield guys and get it changed.

I would say go with option2. If you go for Option3 initially you may save some money but what if you will have to change windshield after few months , then the Rs.800 spent would become waste! And also Rs.2700 is not a huge figure to worry about i guess.

Thread Starter #10
Thx folks for those suggestions! i think i am settling to get the windshield changed and then restore the insurance.
Another unexpected thing happened today was i called up my insurance agent from which the car was insured earlier(HDFC Ergo) and i told him that i am getting the windshield changed hence he can send his guy to recheck the car and restore the insurance and this time he took a U-turn saying that sir the company has changed its policy and there are more and more constraints being put. now HDFC doesnt want to do insurance for cars more than 10 years age. [cry] he said he wont be able to help with this regard.
I then inquired at Oriental insurance and they are fine with the insurance and they mentioned that for my car, Third party insurance can be given and i can bring my car and older insurance copy to their office, they would get it inspected and give the insurance immediately.
Little disappointed with HDFC's take on this! any inputs! suggestions!

350Z

Core Team
I really dislike the attitude of Insurance firms as soon as the car starts getting older. My car’s insurance is also about to expire soon, but the present scenario is that I have to myself call them several times, which was vice-versa when the car was brand new. Anyways, I would still recommend switching on to Tata-AIG, which will not prove to be as problematic as HDFC (Well maybe?). As far as the windshield is concerned, get the complete glass replaced if the scratch is bound to re-appear over a period. Last time I read, the cost of Maruti 800’s windshield is somewhere Rs.2,400, rest might be the installation charges but get it confirmed and also ask for a price quote from an authorized MSIL workshop.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #12
thx for the response!
i was a litle unhappy since all they now care is about brand new cars where they can make money and care lesser for older cars and i am sure the even more older cars are just written off like this!
hey are you aware if TATA-AIG does insurance of more than 10 years old car?

350Z

Core Team
As far as I know, they do insure the cars over 10 Years old but please confirm on their Toll Free No: 1800119966. And yes, you will have to get the 3rd party insurance.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #14
okie cool..i have already registered on their website and their agent will get back shortly. alternately i will give them a call. nevertheless i am fine with oriental insurance also, and now planning to get my windshield changed this saturday and then get this insurance done this coming monday. Oriental insurance is just next to my office hence preferring that to get my insurance done.
thx so much for your help guys! will post details once i get my windshield and then insurance.

350Z

Core Team
Ask for the new windshield price quote from Maruti Suzuki workshop too. Good luck!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom