Help With Buying Used Maruti Baleno - Bought and Installed CNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Friend of mine is searching for old car for many days.
Budget is 2L max
Usage will be 80 % Highway (for long trips) + 20 % city

Recently we have found 1 Baleno in Maruti True value store

• Maruti Baleno Vxi
  • 1,00,000 km
  • Black color with minor dents
  • Single owner is a company car
  • Well maintained
  • Checked with a local mechanic he said ok
  • Test driven looks ok to me
  • 1600 cc with great power and neat handling
  • He said will get a 12-13 Mileage
  • Willing to add CNG later (32k approx)
  • Maruti is offering 1 free service + polishing (in + out)
  • Good ac + All power windows + PS + basic ICE and speakers + leather seat covers + Alloys
  • Quote - 1,90,000 Rupees (including reg and Xfer)
I have only concern about spares as it is discontinued car, but not more as it is Maruti.

Please suggest go ahead with this ?

re: Help With Buying Used Maruti Baleno- Now bought and installed CNG

spares not a issue. everything is available

the best ac so far , that i have seen .

cool comfort and good engine .

Price seems justified.

Try to bargain with the dealer. Your friend may save a few thousand bucks. IMO Baleno is one great car which is too difficult to find these days. And if you(or your friend) are going to convert it into CNG, then things will be further sweetened.

ilango[speed thirst];96160 said:
spares not a issue. everything is available

the best ac so far , that i have seen .

cool comfort and good engine .

Price seems justified.
Are you sure? Because my uncle in Rourkela find it difficult to arrange spares. Futhermore, they are costlier than the current gen. cars.

Are you sure? Because my uncle in Rourkela find it difficult to arrange spares. Futhermore, they are costlier than the current gen. cars.
baleno spares difficult?

almost all spares are easily available.

may be dashboard and door pad must be difficult but one doesnt need them[evil]
may be body panels may be difficult compared to other maruti cars , but that can be tinkered!

apart from that some or the other maruti car's spare match it and still baleno labeled spares are available.

some are stamped SGP, suzuki genuine spare , instead of mgp

Whoa. U are a hell of a lucky man. Ive been searching for clean balenos, and u found a great one.

350Z

Core Team

According to me the mileage is very high and being used as a company car, it translates that it would have been mostly in the hands of a driver. Hope your friend is informed and accepts that an amount of repairs would be certain and maybe soon an engine overhaul too. Your friend’s running is already on the higher side and I’m sure he would avoid spending further for repairs. I recommend looking out for more before finalizing on this particular model. Sometimes patience pays off if one is in hunt for a used car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

ilango[speed thirst];96197 said:
baleno spares difficult?

almost all spares are easily available.
Contrary to popular belief it is actually quite difficult to get spares. Add to that they are very expensive.

may be dashboard and door pad must be difficult but one doesnt need them[evil]
may be body panels may be difficult compared to other maruti cars , but that can be tinkered
Even simple spares like the oil filler cap and door lock sticks are not easily available.

apart from that some or the other maruti car's spare match it and still baleno labeled spares are available.
The above 2 spares are identical to the Alto but different price for the 2 cars. In fact the Baleno shares many parts with the Baleno.

some are stamped SGP, suzuki genuine spare , instead of mgp
SGP is more expensive. No point for such an old car.

According to me the mileage is very high and being used as a company car, it translates that it would have been mostly in the hands of a driver. Hope your friend is informed and accepts that an amount of repairs would be certain and maybe soon an engine overhaul too. Your friend’s running is already on the higher side and I’m sure he would avoid spending further for repairs. I recommend looking out for more before finalizing on this particular model. Sometimes patience pays off if one is in hunt for a used car.

Drive Safe,
350Z
My +1 to that. Stay away from this car. For 2L you will have better options. A used Accord can be had for 2.5L.

The point is spares are available , though it may be costly.

holysatan 's first car was a baleno.

all spares were got from the mgp dealer without any waiting time!
he did a general service , clutch etc.
head lamp , tail lamp and all other parts are not only available , but easily available. even if not its a matter of day or two for the spare to arrive.

If you feel buying sgp spares for a old baleno is waste of time , hmmm then no point in thinking about the accord!

remember one point , out of 10000, only 2 people will sell a car in show room condition. rest will have small niggles that we need to correct for our satisfaction

Last edited:

Contrary to popular belief it is actually quite difficult to get spares. Add to that they are very expensive.

Even simple spares like the oil filler cap and door lock sticks are not easily available.

The above 2 spares are identical to the Alto but different price for the 2 cars. In fact the Baleno shares many parts with the Baleno.

SGP is more expensive. No point for such an old car.

My +1 to that. Stay away from this car. For 2L you will have better options. A used Accord can be had for 2.5L.
Explain this. U are pulling him away from a used baleno for 2 lakhs and suggesting a used accord for 2.5? The accord for 2.5 eill be a well thrased if not accidental car. This way even merc is available used for 4 lakhs. My 2cents. Go for a lower car. Esteem is a good buy. Lots of them and trustworthy. Even the old accent and logan can be arranged in that budet.

Explain this. U are pulling him away from a used baleno for 2 lakhs and suggesting a used accord for 2.5? The accord for 2.5 eill be a well thrased if not accidental car. This way even merc is available used for 4 lakhs. My 2cents. Go for a lower car. Esteem is a good buy. Lots of them and trustworthy. Even the old accent and logan can be arranged in that budet.
At 2 lakhs the Baleno is not worth it. Accords are available for around 2.5L and they are not thrashed or accidental cars. Accord is much superior to the Baleno. The Baleno just does not have anything special in it.
Good second hand buys are:
Sonata Embera
Elantra
Fiesta (specially the S)

maybe im missing something here. In my place, the closest ive gone to a good accord is near to 8 lakhs. And ive searching for a good drivers car, and havent come across one nice fiesta S that is any less than 4.5.

Petrol superb ,
accord like the d segment are avail from 3.5L i hope.
Just checked some forum and one has the superb for 3.85 asking price!
so far i have come across these pricing only.

and the baleno sale at these rates too.

i got a offer for mondeo at 2 and 2.7 for petrol and diesel. But didnt buy them!

Our franchiser , got a vrs for 3.5L , with head fault and total repair bill was 70k.
sold them for 5L[after the repair works , it drank 500rs worth petrol in just 2 days of city driving!].
all just some 3 to 4 months back.

So imo , for 1.9L this baleno looks like a cool deal!

Thread Starter #13

Thanks everyone for suggestion , we searched very hard but its very difficult to find good sedan below 2L , actually our budget was 1.50 strictly but somehow stretched a bit now. The usage is mostly highway trips on weekends ,almost no in city.
There is also a 2002 Baleno at 1.5 L but its not in good condition.
Actually my friend also wants to learn driving so this car does makes seance considering this.

Thanks everyone for suggestion , we searched very hard but its very difficult to find good sedan below 2L , actually our budget was 1.50 strictly but somehow stretched a bit now. The usage is mostly highway trips on weekends ,almost no in city.
There is also a 2002 Baleno at 1.5 L but its not in good condition.
Actually my friend also wants to learn driving so this car does makes seance considering this.

Hey Guys,

Sorry for Bringing a new brand here. But IMO i think Your friend should look for Ford Ikon 1.6 Litre Engine one. You mentioned you are looking for a driver's car. I hope it will serve you better in that way. The Handling is much better the any other car of its time and class.

otherwise look for some Hyundai Sonata (Jaguar Shape). You can get it arround 1.5-2 or Max to Max 2.5 Lakh.

But it seems that Baleno is ok if you can able to bargain for 1.75 Lakhs.

Please stay away from Old Accord, Since i worked with Honda I knew It will make you spend more money then you bought the car for.

One of the customer bought the car for 3 Lakh. The ECM failed & he was quoted with Rs.75 thousand [lol]. Beware my friend.

Thread Starter #15

IMO i think Your friend should look for Ford Ikon 1.6 Litre Engine one
Thanks for suggestion but my friend hates ford (His personal opinion) so sorry.
Even I suggested him same but he said no ford.

Ikon is very low on mileage 9-10 kmpl and I think spares will be issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom