Help in Deciding a Car for My Parents (4 Lakh Budget)

Thread Starter #1
Hi all, planning to buy a hatchback for my parents. Primary requirements are as below.

Budget – 4 Lacs (Can stretch by 20K).
Location – Kollam, Kerala
Top Priorities
1) Easy Ingress/Egress (Father is around 6 feet tall)
2) Easy to Drive.
3) Low on maintenance
4) Good A.S.S
5) Good interiors
Monthly running – Around 600Kms
Seating Capacity – 4
Fuel – Petrol (Since the total running is very low)
Type – Hatchback (Easy to drive & park in the city)

Has shortlisted Wagon R, Eon, Estilo, i10, Beat and Alto K10. I have asked father to do test drives of each of these models. Alto K10 has been included by insistence, as my father believes that is enough for them since it’s the cheapest of all (but I have asked him specifically to test drive & then decide) [:)]. Santro is not included in the list as we already own one in the family. We have a Maruti Omni 2000 model which we are planning to exchange for the new car.
My personal preference would be Wagon R (Vxi), Eon(Magna Opt), i10 (Era), Estilo, Beat (LS), Alto K10 (Vxi) (in that order).

Can you guys pls advise if I have missed any other car here for test drive? Any other parameter I have take into consideration? [confused]

What would be the waiting periods for Wagon R, Eon & Alto K10 (if any of the members have recently booked)?

Re: Help in deciding a car for my parents (4 Lacs budget)

I would prefer something which is a bit tall (keeping your parents in mind). Frankly, I can think of only WagonR and Santro. Since you already got a Santro, get the WagonR. The Eon,i10 and Alto, though competent product, would have low ingress/regress position, though i10 is better among the three.

My suggestion, get the Wagon.

+1 to Sachinj12. Since it should be easy on your parents , a tall boy design is the best.

My vote also goes for the Waqon R.

Yes, as all said WagonR is very good and suits all your priorities,if you don't mind even estilo does the job as your parents just need a vehicle for commuting and hefty discounts for that car would save money.

If the payment is in Full cash and if the dealer has those cars in stock you would get in 3-4 days else a week would be taken for loan transaction and availability for colors.

Since your Father is around I feel Wagon R would be your pick,since it ticks the other boxes also,I would have suggested i10 but i see tall drives are more comfortable in Wagon R

Thread Starter #6

Thanks a lot guys for your responses. Anyway I will wait until he does the test drive of all the cars.

BTW, do you guys think Estilo is a good car? I believe it comes with the same engine as in Alto K10 & WagonR (K Series engine). Estilo Vxi is fully loaded and on road it comes around 4.26 lacs. I believe with the discounts around one should get a good deal on this car.

Performance wise what are the pros & cons of this car compared to Wagon R?

I don't think there are any major issues with the Estilo. I believe it din't do well in the market because of its looks! If your dad is comfortable with the Estilo , then go ahead its a good car.

BTW, do you guys think Estilo is a good car? I believe it comes with the same engine as in Alto K10 & WagonR (K Series engine). Estilo Vxi is fully loaded and on road it comes around 4.26 lacs. I believe with the discounts around one should get a good deal on this car.

Performance wise what are the pros & cons of this car compared to Wagon R?
Estilo,K10,WagonR,A-star all uses the same K-series engine! And as Dhaya said it didn't sell in larger nos. because of its flimsy build,

The performance is almost same in both vehicles,anyway ask your father to TD both the cars,he can select whichever he feels better.

And keep in mind that Estilo has lesser resale value than WagonR.

lxi.

Suspended

IMO, since your dad is tall and would prefer a car with easy ingress and egress, the wagonr (which is the tallest of the lot) would definitely suit his needs. Interiors of wagonR are OK. The car has enough room for a 6 ft person, can accomodate 4 people easily, High on mileage, low on maintenance, a Maruti dealership. So, all your requirements are fulfilled, go for the WAgoR VXi. All the best.

And, Regarding the Estilo, it your dad feels ok with the looks of the car, then it is a good option, but will lack the Room that wagonR will provide, rest almost everything is same. Just the wagonR has a boxy design while estilo has some curves.And the estilo sells less in the market because of the girly design (rear), so poor resale value is obvious. Let your dad do a test drive of both the cars and see which he feels better! I would recommend you the wagonR!

You can also think for A-Star preferably AT. All your criteria fits to it.

You can also think for A-Star preferably AT. All your criteria fits to it.
A-star Automatic costs more than 5 lakhs OTR in Kerala.and its doesn't fit his parents needs as they need is a spacious hatch which will be easy to ingress/egress which A-star doesn't have.

Thread Starter #12

Guys, really appreciate all your replies. I think look wise the new Estilo is kind of OK. Not so bad and in my opinion looks better than the boxy Wagon R (subjective). Re-sale wise am not so worried now as the plan is to keep the car for next 5 years (if not more) [:)].

But I happened to read that NVH of Estilo is bad compared to Wagon R. Do any of you guys feel the same ? I have never taken a test drive of Estilo (have to do that once am back, am currently abroad).

How does the car behave in highway drives? Am sure my dad will not take it beyond 80Kph (max 90Kph) whatever be the case. Is it as stable as Wagon R?

Hows the body roll? I believe this should be lesser than WagonR as its not as tall.

Finally hows the boot space in comparison to Waggie?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions but your valuable replies will make me take the right decision [:D]

lxi.

Suspended

Buddy, i have driven a wagonR but not the estilo. If your dad feels the Estilo to be OK( looks wise), then go for it, as in the vxi variant you will get it fully loaded with accessories and discounts, at a price lower than the waggie's vxi. Go for it!

Thread Starter #14
Guys, My dad checked Estilo, WagonR and Alto K10. Alto K10 voted out as he cannot comfortably get in or out. Fine with other two. For Estilo Vxi, on road price quoted by the dealer is 4.14 Lacs (12K reduction from On road) and waggie Vxi 4.23 Lacs (some 10K reduction).
For Estilo roughly how much discounts should I be able to bargain for? Anyone in the group who has recently brought an Estilo or Wagon R?

Guys, My dad checked Estilo, WagonR and Alto K10. Alto K10 voted out as he cannot comfortably get in or out. Fine with other two. For Estilo Vxi, on road price quoted by the dealer is 4.14 Lacs (12K reduction from On road) and waggie Vxi 4.23 Lacs (some 10K reduction).
For Estilo roughly how much discounts should I be able to bargain for? Anyone in the group who has recently brought an Estilo or Wagon R?
Hey 12k is very less! The discounts are more especially in estilo guess 20-30k,these dealers just try to take as much as money,tell him to try with other dealers they may seem to give more.
What's the dealer name?

Top Bottom