Help in Choosing a Spacious Hatchback

Friends , I'm new to this forum though i've been reading for long time. Excellent !!

Now, i am in a dilemma in chosing a hatch.

I am a family man and i need a spacious hatch with decent boot. My monthly running could be around 800-900kms. Around 400kms in highway and 600kms in daily commute. I like to keep the car for long time ( around 7-8 years)
I've zeroed down to Ford figo diesel titanium and Honda jazz Base. I like both the cars and cost almost same. Here are my priorities in order.
(1) Spacious with boot
(2) Decent mileage
(3) Reliability :- This is very important for me and i have no alternative vehicles and i dont want to go to service station for every now and then and for small niggles.

I wanted to go with Figo as it is diesel , but worried about its reliability and servicing issues. Look at the Figo facebook and see the number of complaints.
Ford Figo diesel titanium
Pros
Spacious, mileage , lots of equipments
cons
Lots of complaints, issues like engine stall scares me, AC problems,Poor headlamp, engine failure, Ground clearance and many more.., service cost

Honda Jazz
Pros
Except the mileage & petrol factor, everything else is fine i think.

Does petrol makes more sense for my kind of running ?

I am in the hunt , help me out guys..[confused]
Go for the VISTA diesel,its an amazing spacious car with amazing features and at an affordable price as well.The boot may not be as large as jazz or figo but still is not bad either.The service cost of TATA is very cheap compared to ford/honda and tata easily outnumbers ford with its large ASS network.My advice to you is just give VISTA a chance and go and test her, trust me she won't disappoint you. [thumbsup]

BTW: why don't you give INDIGO eCS a chance, it has boot and space of sedan and overall lenght of hatchback( read figo/jazz)[glasses]

I had a long weekend and was lost out in my home town (home village !) for the onam festival.
But i met some of my relatives who has been owning Figo for about 1.5 years. They never faced any problem and they were all praise for the vehicle ( they are not automotive enthus). That boosted my confidence.

I gave up Etios dreams just because of the weather gasket issue. Cant imagine myself holding umbrellas in the car in Kerala climate where rain is through out year and part of daily life !!

I made up 99.99% for the Figo diesel. Planning to book by this week. Promised to deliver in 2 weeks. Honda Jazz might take a few months waiting as the recent price drop got them plenty of bookings.

To support my decision , here is my pessimistic & optimistic calculations.

I would save anywhere between 50k - 100k over five years.

Note that this is because Figo diesel titanium hond Jazz is almost in same price range and so the intial cost difference does not come into the picture.

I dont expect the service costs to be too much to overcome this. There are people who have run more than lakhs of kms and still the service costs are not too much compared to petrol.
Please do not take me otherwise, but I do not agree with the above calculations. First you are tilting too much towards Diesel and not changing any value in Petrol prices. Secondly, you are planning to keep a car for 10 years or showing by calculations. Generally, (Literally) people do not keep the car for that long or do not use a car a primary car for that long. So you either would sell it off or buy another one by 4th or 5th year. Then so called or showed saving would go for a toss. [:)]

Friends ,
I booked Figo 1.4 Titanium Sea Grey color today. Booking advance is Rs.10k.
SA told that he can deliver it in around 15 days. Hope i will get it before Dussera.
I am planning for the below accessories,

(1) Alloy wheels - Ford
(2) Rear parking sensors - simple kit with only beep
(3) Rainguard for Windows
(4) Teflon coating
(5) Underbody coating 3M
(6) Seat cover (Ford)
(7) side rubber guards ( black)
Dealer promised USB adaptor & Sun film as freebies.
I see some essential pack quoted in invoice ( which i think is mudflap & mats). It is charged as Rs.1950. Not sure if it is worth !!
Total OTR will be around 6.5 L

I am opting for car lease option which my company is providing.

Thanks lot to all the fellow TAI members for their suggestions and opinions. It has very much helped me to make my decision.
Will update once i get the car.
Since you have already made up you mind and booked one. Congratulations for clearing the level one (selection / calculation). Now for level two (delivery /accessories / modification) get ready and your choice of items looking gorgeous. Just one suggestion, please consider again about parking sensors. They look cool but are they really required ? It is a question for you and I do not need an answer. Ask yourself and then decide.

All the best [thumbsup]. So when is the party.

@Surfer, thanks lot for those links..
Actually i wanted a Sedan. But due to budget constraints and city drivability issues, i am looking for only a hatch.
Swift does not have the space that i need. Its costly too
Like Polo design, but costly for me.. My budget is max. 6.5 L
I20 also costly
Micra :- A.S.S is a problem, design not to my taste, space
Fabia :- Didn't consider it...may be because i got bad image about its service
Vista :- Not spacious enough
On which basis you say that Vista is not spacious enough? [frustration]

Friends ,
I booked Figo 1.4 Titanium Sea Grey color today. Booking advance is Rs.10k.
SA told that he can deliver it in around 15 days. Hope i will get it before Dussera.
I am planning for the below accessories,

(1) Alloy wheels - Ford
(2) Rear parking sensors - simple kit with only beep
(3) Rainguard for Windows
(4) Teflon coating
(5) Underbody coating 3M
(6) Seat cover (Ford)
(7) side rubber guards ( black)
Dealer promised USB adaptor & Sun film as freebies.
I see some essential pack quoted in invoice ( which i think is mudflap & mats). It is charged as Rs.1950. Not sure if it is worth !!
Total OTR will be around 6.5 L

I am opting for car lease option which my company is providing.

Thanks lot to all the fellow TAI members for their suggestions and opinions. It has very much helped me to make my decision.
Will update once i get the car.
Congratulations! On your booking. Figo is another VFM car no doubt about it. Only take care on bumpy roads and seedbrakers, it has very soft suspension and when loaded full there are chances of scraping the bottom.

Regarding accessories, I would advice you, not to buy anything from Dealer.
These are my personal views based on my experience.
Go For aftermarket Alloy wheels,These OEMs supply Alloy wheels to Manufacturers with their brands, so no difference in quality. Neo, SS, many brands are available. Difference in cost is huge- approx difference for set of 4 will be @ 10k.
No need of rain guards (Anyways rainy season over now),they are made up of cheap quality plastic, and will fade in Summer, and if you remove them they will leave a mark on the body.
There is no Need of Teflon coating for new cars, they come with a protective coat.This is an another example of emotional marketing. Teflon coating for new car doesn't add any value.
Go for art leather seat covers from outside, you will get skin tight fit seat covers for 5 k.
[thumbsup]

Thread Starter #65
I am thinking again ...

So many complaints being heard about Figo ..
Most scary one is the engine stall while downshifting. Feel it is very dangerous. Looks like it is a feature of TDCi engines. Seeing this complaint elsewhere also,

Figo TDCi, cars stalls on down shifting when depressing the clutch!! | Facebook

Ford TDCi Stalling/Cutting out

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi (02/52), 78,000 mls - Engine stalls ... - JustAnswer

TDCi Stalling - TalkFord.com

and many similiar issues reported in another forum also.

Being it a known problem how will i drive it with peace of mind. Am i taking my family for a risk ?

Other issues
(1) Ground clearance
(2) Headlamp upgrade must ( though not effective as reflectors are the culprit)
and so many silly issues.
I am reconsidering my decision.[frustration]
This time i'd TD all cars and go with heart ( i think i am spoilt by reading so many reviews). :stupid:
I might stretch my budget also ( for peace of mind factor)

If you are not allergic to TATA, take a TD of all new Vista, I am recommending only because I own it, But did the proper research before taking the decision.

(Spacious boot + Decent Mileage + Reliability)/ Hatchback = Toyota Liva
Toyota Etios is NOT TOYOTA YARIS or VIOS. It has yet to prove its reliability. So far i have seen even Tata Indicas are more reliable than Toyota Etios.
Etios has recieved a lot of complaints. Its a very poorly built low cost vehicle. I would never invest money in a car that has been "specially" built for India.

Always buy cars that are made for Europe because they undergo EuroNCAP crash tests before being launched in Europe. Etios doesn't have any crash tests to its credit

Friends , I'm new to this forum though i've been reading for long time. Excellent !!

Now, i am in a dilemma in chosing a hatch.

I am a family man and i need a spacious hatch with decent boot. My monthly running could be around 800-900kms. Around 400kms in highway and 600kms in daily commute. I like to keep the car for long time ( around 7-8 years)
I've zeroed down to Ford figo diesel titanium and Honda jazz Base. I like both the cars and cost almost same. Here are my priorities in order.
(1) Spacious with boot
(2) Decent mileage
(3) Reliability :- This is very important for me and i have no alternative vehicles and i dont want to go to service station for every now and then and for small niggles.

I wanted to go with Figo as it is diesel , but worried about its reliability and servicing issues. Look at the Figo facebook and see the number of complaints.
Ford Figo diesel titanium
Pros
Spacious, mileage , lots of equipments
cons
Lots of complaints, issues like engine stall scares me, AC problems,Poor headlamp, engine failure, Ground clearance and many more.., service cost

Honda Jazz
Pros
Except the mileage & petrol factor, everything else is fine i think.

Does petrol makes more sense for my kind of running ?

I am in the hunt , help me out guys..[confused]
Hi, If safety matters to you then i would suggest you to buy only the International Models. Do NOT buy a car that has been made specially for India because i really doubt their safety. Ford Figo/Toyota Etios/Honda Brio are NOT EuroNCAP tested cars. They are made for developing countries. Though i would trust Honda Brio in terms of safety because Honda nevers takes second chances on Safety. Cars which pass EuroNCAP tests are the safest.

EuroNCAP tested cars-
SUZUKI
.A-star
.Ritz
.Swift

HYUNDAI
.Santro
.i10
.i20

CHEVROLET
.Spark
.Beat
.Aveo

HONDA
.Jazz

VOLKSWAGEN
.Polo

SKODA
.Fabia

NISSAN
.Micra

FIAT
.Grande Punto

Here is the site so you can check the safety ratings of international car models available in India HOME | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

Last edited:
Thread Starter #71
@raul, thanks.

Yesterday I TD' d honda jazz. They did not have the facelift version but the old version.
Felt slightly underpowered. But I liked it and was willing to book. But they are not sure when they can deliver the car .Minimum two months.
I am desperate. That is ridiculous part from honda. Are they really dumb guys? They surely know that there will be demand and should have accounted it for production

Thread Starter #72
Here is yet another Would-be Punto owner.
My Bosa Nova white MJD emotion pack Punto will join me probably this month end.
will share the details after delivery [clap]

Top Bottom