Do You Wear Helmets?

• Yes, Always.

Votes: 33 86.8%
  • No, Never.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Sometimes, Occasionally.

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
I've voted sometimes. I actually wear it more than sometimes. I always wore it to college, as it was not a problem to store/lock the helmet at college. But whenever I go out, I don't take it. And also i wont take it when I've to drive through tight traffic, just to be on the safer side with better vision and hearing. But yeah I know it'd be fatal if i fall, but i want to ensure that I don't.

With all due respect,I beg to differ. You might get a relaxation by law for not wearing one for the reason that you are a sardar,but when you crash you wont even get the benefit a normal law abider gets. And by the way,the people who made the relaxation for sardar's not needing to wear a helmet erred in their judgement. Sardars do and can wear helmets. Examples:-
1. Hari singh and Gurinder Singh Mann who used to race for JK tyre's Rally team. You dont get any concession in motorsports when it it comes to safety and regulations,Not even if you are God.

2. Sardars serving in the airforce. They can't fly a Mig without the Helmet. They use helmets in the army too when at war.
And they tie their turbans in a different way than usual. I dont know what they call that way of tying it.

And so I cant subscribe to you saying,I cannot try it even if I want to!

And I'm very insistent on safety,I just had to tell someone to either ride with the seatbelt on or the car stops. And the guy told me to leave him where we started,It was just some 400 meteres after we started and guess what? He got back to point A. No seatbelt,No ride.
Hey, thanks 'JALEX' for sharing this huge info about SARDARS![clap]

Well let me make it clear that these people you have mensioned above, are forced to wear helmets because of their professions!

1. Hari singh and Gurinder Singh Mann who used to race for JK tyre's Rally team.(You know in what speed they race!! So they have to!! The chances of crashes are more!)

2. Sardars serving in the airforce. They can't fly a Mig without the Helmet.
(Again here professional needs and safety needs!)

As per we common Sardars are concerned, we hardly ride super bikes! Even if we ride a bike we cannot go above 90-100kmph! Even if someone goes above it, it may be his sillyness and mischief, if he does not bother about his own safety!

As per our turbans are concerned, according to me during an accident, they are also of good safety as compaired to non sardars w/o helmet!

So, no need to take any kind of tensions buddys, and thanks for showing your concern in my safety!!![thumbsup]
I ride as safely as possible because for me SAFETY comes first before any thing!!

@arkin
actually helmet surely is for safety. but i don't feel very comfortable with it and its also a hinderance to my vision on the side. overall i am not very comfortable with the helmet. but i must say that if you don't wear a helmet you may be called "hell-met"

@ Sriharsha Upon practice you will surely get used to it , just like me getting used to seatbelts. just ensure you wear it always and keep using it to get used to it!

You never know what happens until its too late. I've lost two friends who could have survived had they worn theirs. Also in the popular rally back in 99,two fellow competitors suffered serious head injuries and one of them has recovered and the other one is paralyzed down from the neck. One of the guys were using a helmet with a failed chin strap lock and the helmet flew of his head when he had a blow out in the front wheel and went off the road while doing a special stage. The other guy was using an old helmet and it had a crack to which he applied M-seal and paint,he too had to suffer the same incident-a blowout in the front tyre. The first guy was fooling the scrutineers and stage stewards by using other competitor's helmets to get past the control point and into start, while the latter managed to hide the helmet's defect with paint. In both the cases it was they themselves who lost in the process. Its very sad and should not have been so. You can fool the authorities,but you're the one who will be at the receiving end.[roll] Can you imagine 11 years bed-ridden. You cant even die even if you wished to.

Last edited:
How true Jalex. It is appalling that folk in Bangalore/Karnataka seem to wear their helmet (and wear their seatbelt) only when there is compulsion by the Govt.

I implore my dear fellow forum members to wear their helmets at all times. If the normal helmets tend to obstruct vision, you can always use this kind- HCI_100_110_black.jpg

Hey, thanks 'JALEX' for sharing this huge info about SARDARS![clap]

Well let me make it clear that these people you have mensioned above, are forced to wear helmets because of their professions!

1. Hari singh and Gurinder Singh Mann who used to race for JK tyre's Rally team.(You know in what speed they race!! So they have to!! The chances of crashes are more!)

2. Sardars serving in the airforce. They can't fly a Mig without the Helmet.

As per we common Sardars are concerned, we hardly ride super bikes! Even if we ride a bike we cannot go above 90-100kmph! Even if someone goes above it, it may be his sillyness and mischief, if he does not bother about his own safety!

As per our turbans are concerned, according to me during an accident, they are also of good safety as compaired to non sardars w/o helmet!

So, no need to take any kind of tensions buddys, and thanks for showing your concern in my safety!!![thumbsup]
I ride as safely as possible because for me SAFETY comes first before any thing!!
Believe me when I say this, I know a neighbor who crashed doing less than 20kmph on his Kawasaki RTZ in a busy street,a pedestrian jumped in front of him suddenly causing him to brake,lock up the front wheel and then crash. He hit his head hard on the tarmac and in the process had a hemorrhage. He completely forgot many past incidents and happenings in his past. He forgot that he had a younger son. He still has not recovered 100% and people make fun of him saying he's lost a few screws now,its very rude of them and very misfortunate for him. But he could have survived it with a helmet,the doctor who tended to him too said that. You dont need 90 or 100clicks on the speedo to land in trouble. I've seen many friends,relatives and so on being victims on the road.I've lost too many and dont want to see anyone to suffer like that. Please dont feel offended if I said too much and I'm not saying this for argument's sake. Its just the facts and personal experiences I had to face whether.

How true Jalex. It is appalling that folk in Bangalore/Karnataka seem to wear their helmet (and wear their seatbelt) only when there is compulsion by the Govt.

I implore my dear fellow forum members to wear their helmets at all times. If the normal helmets tend to obstruct vision, you can always use this kind- View attachment 8731
That helmet may look cool,But wont give any protection to your face,jaw and chin area. And I prefer and use a full face Helmet,You can even try a motocross helmet if you need it to be airy. And when compared to Bangalore,we have a very hot and humid climate here in Kerala.

Last edited:
That helmet may look cool,But wont give any protection to your face,jaw and chin area. And I prefer and use a full face Helmet,.
I understand, but I'm speaking to people who don't feel like using a full face helmets for the poor visibility. I am impressed by your valid points. You seem to have a very fair share of street experiences.

I understand, but I'm speaking to people who don't feel like using a full face helmets for the poor visibility. I am impressed by your valid points. You seem to have a very fair share of street experiences.
Well about the experiences,I live in Kerala. God's own Country,Devil's own people[evil](especially when they are behind the wheel.)and roads

Re: Helmets, Do You Wear Them?

Been driving bike for the past 18 years i was been using helmet while traveling long (but with in city) or if i have to travel more than 5 or 7 kms

mine was almost 8 years old branded helmet and recently even the visor got broken it lost its look and glory looks ugly but still it has the strength enough to save me

this morning i parked the vehicle at K R Puram RTO office and did passed the four wheeler driving license test, but failed to secure my helmet some one stolen it [confused] i don't know what made him to steal such a old helmet but i feel like loosing a long term companion[cry]

have to get a new one tomorrow

ilango[speed thirst];40308 said:
I do not wear helmet as i do for the seat belt.
i use this very rarely like in noon - evening (not daily )times just to escape from hot sun and dust!
I never wear a helmet, not even tried it in my life...simply because I cannot!!![lol]
i wear the helmet only in bangalore where helmet is mandatory. but normally at my place i won't wear.
These are irresponsible statements. If you don't wear a helmet, it's your life you don't value. At least don't publicise it.

With all due respect,I beg to differ.
Totally agree with you.

Helmet is purely a safety need.

Last edited:

Another interesting thread and a great one at that.

To be honest, I've never really understood people who've said that they don't wear a helmet for (xyz reasons). I've reasoned with them, fought with them and then finally gave up in despair! For nothing can force a person if he/she is hell bent on destroying things.

So I did the one thing that i could and took an oath of sorts to use all safety features that I can afford, irrespective of the number of wheels that i am on.

Coming to the issue of helmets, I use a full-face helmet as much as possible when i ride. My helmets have always been genuine ISI marked ones. Further, i prefer changing them every two years. Good helmets are available from Rs 700 onwards. Currently though, i recently splurged on a Cross Helmet[evil]

To each our own poison guys. At the end of the day, even if we were to crash alone, we'll still end up destroying other lives! Think about it...

Have a safe Makar Sankranti,
Ride/Drive safe :)

well i am wearing the helmet ever since i started riding bike i wear it everytime even if i have to ride for a kilometer coz i feel i look cool in it lol . ya it helps in riding saves from dust sun and any danger .

Ashamed of using helmet (On an entry-level moped). Suggestions please?

Please excuse me, but had to ask this.

I own a TVS XL Super Heavy Duty. For those who don't know, just imagine an elder sister of the M80, in black. Don't underestimate this thing; it can do ~60 kmph with two on board. It strains the engine, so this is not done usually but 40 kph is a normal speed. With idiots around you can get a ticket to heaven faster than Book My Show, that too for free. Helmets aren't really strained upon in the city, and I would like to use one. the TVS is used by all of us, and I don't want a photo with me/some other family member riding the thing to end up on some "Happens only in India" page, neither do I want anyone in my family dying. Can anyone please suggest what can I do other than ignoring others and wear a helmet (which I will do anyways if this thread has 0 replies).

Thanks in advance

Mods please merge if similar thread exists, tried searching in vain.

Top Bottom