Hello Petrol Heads!!!

Thread Starter #1
My Name is Mukesh Shokeen and i am from delhi. I am a software engineer and work for an IT company in Gurgaon. I love cars specially SUVs and keeps searching various SUVs whenever I get time and because of looking at cars in all the free time I get in my office & home my wife and my friends sometimes call me "mukesh ji carwale" [:)]. I drive Wagon R Vxi 2008 model (CNG) and Sx4 Zxi 2009, model and my wife hates both of my cars because she thinks I love my cars more than her [:D].

Apart from looking & discussion on cars I am also a wildlife enthusiast and am I regular visitor of "Jim Corbett national park" & "Ranthambore National park", since 2002, though I never got a sight of Tiger in it's natural habitat [frustration].

I never knew about TAI but two months back while searching for Tata Safari Storme on google I got a link which redirected to me at this site and since then I visit this site daily.

Well that's about me, now I have a question for all of you.

The car safety devices / technologies i.e. Immobilizer, Gear lock etc. are worth spending money or these things are just a myth. The reason for this question is simple, One of my friend's car (Hyundai i20 Diesel) which he bought just six months back got stolen from Noida today, his car was equipped with digital immobilizer, Gear lock, Steering lock then how thieves managed to start his car without the original key?

Waiting for your replies.

Regards,
Mukesh

Keep driving ...

Hello Mukesh , a warm welcome to TAI, Hope you have a nice stay here.
Look forward to hear more about your love (cars) via ownership reviews.
Best Wishes

Hello mukesh. A warm welcome to you. Thats a nice way to start your journey on TAI [:)]
Just installing latest gadgets wont do the job. You have to be careful. If one has installed all of the above and starts showing complacency, carelessness, thats green signal for the thieves. Above mentioned gadgets dont make your car theft proof. Then can act as deterrent. Since thief will have to put in more efforts, he would try to avoid it. But you, being careless, have given him open invitation, he wont have second thoughts.

350Z

Core Team
Apart from looking & discussion on cars I am also a wildlife enthusiast and am I regular visitor of "Jim Corbett national park" & "Ranthambore National park", since 2002, though I never got a sight of Tiger in it's natural habitat.
Welcome aboard to The Automotive India, Mukesh. Glad to meet another fellow who’s a Petrolhead and wildlife obsessed rolled into one. Last time I went to Jim Corbett was in 2005. It’s been a while since I’m planning to make another trip soon. Though I usually request new members to post ownership reviews of their rides but this time, I would love to read a travelogue of both the places from your end.

The car safety devices / technologies i.e. Immobilizer, Gear lock etc. are worth spending money or these things are just a myth. The reason for this question is simple, One of my friend's car (Hyundai i20 Diesel) which he bought just six months back got stolen from Noida today, his car was equipped with digital immobilizer, Gear lock, Steering lock then how thieves managed to start his car without the original key?.
The bitter truth is, none of the security device is foolproof. By installing these, while we can only reduce the chances of a potential theft but some burglars have far more expertise. Hope that friend has filed an FIR? It’s also advisable to install a car-tracking system especially for those who live in theft-prone areas (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...2998-securing-your-car-theft-tips-tricks.html).

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #5
Thanks for your reply, but question remains the same, how can anyone start the car (when it's equipped with digital immobilizer) without original keys. And if its possible then why can't we sue the car manufacturers.

now take an example, if my car keys are lost then i have to visit to the car manufacturer to buy new keys because i will not be able to start my car with after market duplicate keys but these thieves can start the car using the same after market duplicate key or Master key.

Mukesh
Keep driving....

Hello and welcome to TAI Mukeash. That's a very nice and interesting intro.

We would love to see read about your travelogues and see some nice pics.

Also would love to see your ownership reviews. have a pleasant stay here

Hello Mukesh, welcome to TAI. That was a nice intro of yours and you have great cars in your garage too.

Have a pleasant stay and please feel free to contact the team for any kind of assistance[:)].

350Z

Core Team
Thanks for your reply, but question remains the same, how can anyone start the car (when it's equipped with digital immobilizer) without original keys. And if its possible then why can't we sue the car manufacturers.
Immobilizer is just another function for an added security but it should not be solely relied upon. I don’t think any manufacturer claims that it can make the car theft-proof. Although it considerably reduces the chances of theft unless the thief has access to original key but then, there also some professional thieves who can hack into it without requiring a key at all. Those tricks are unknown to you and me but what I firmly believe is that we can only take effective measures (including common sense) to reduce the risk of a potential theft. Anyways, we’re moving off topic. Please put up the query in previously mentioned link so that we can discuss in detail.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom