Heart vs Brain: Punto vs Figo - Booked Punto

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAI members,

I have been following this forum sincerely for several months and found it very interesting. This forum has helped many people to decide about their dream machine. Now its my turn to get your support.

As this is my first post, please excuse if I am wrong in any aspect.

Before sharing about the history of my car search, let me tell you my requirements.

Your Budget: 6 Lakh.
Your Location: Bangalore.
Top 5 Priorities: Comfort for my parents(rear seat occupants), Drivability, Mileage, maintenance, VFM.
Monthly Running: 900kms + one trip(not always).
For Which Purpose: family use, office some time, Trips.
Max. Seating Capacity: 4, sometimes 5.
Priority of Fuel Type: Diesel.
Body Type: Hatchback.

Now, the history: My search for car started some couple of months before. Initially I thought of buying used car and inspired by Ilango's Lancer and accent story I decided to buy some old diesel car and rebuild it. But later with no-no from friends and parents, I decided to go for a new one.

With launch of new Beat diesel I felt that I can afford a new diesel vehicle. Took a test drive, felt engine peppy and noiseless but parents felt that under thigh support is very less and long trips would be exhausting. Also they complained about the shock absorbers as hard(They felt it as AUTO [lol]).

Later we checked Figo (will take test drive tomorrow): Papa felt that under thigh support is adequate and further testing will be tomorrow.

We almost decided to choose between Beat and Figo, then my first love Punto gave my mind the second thought. So, I took my friend TDed the vehicle. Its great, it checks all the boxes. Although a family testdrive is pending.

Now after researching a bit about Punto, I am in confusion.
People are of opinion that TATA A.S.S is not upto the mark, availability of parts may be a question, no. of cars sold per month is not satisfactory.

As compared to Figo: It seems that Ford is gaining customer trust and money. People feel that it is a good VFM, no. of cars sold per month shows that people trust this vehicle, availability of parts is easy.

Its hard for me to decide between them now. The following questions needs to be answered..
1. Should I convince my parents for Beat and buy it. As I will save around a lakh when compared to other deal?
2. I should play safe and buy figo which is best selling VFM diesel car?
3. Damn all those cars, listen to my heart and buy Punto??

Thanks for reading until this.. Now please fire your suggestions [gun]

Regards,
Madhav

Re: Heart vs Brain: Punto vs Figo -- Help me!!

Top 5 Priorities: Comfort for my parents(rear seat occupants), Drivability, Mileage, maintenance, VFM.For Which Purpose: family use, office some time, Trips.
Figo, New swift, Ritz are VFM available for your choice
Beat (If you are mostly driving in city)
We almost decided to choose between Beat and Figo,
Figo considering your all the requirements.
Also check these threads

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ruti-ritz-ddis-vs-chevy-beat-diesel-tcdi.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...confusion-between-figo-swift-polo-diesel.html

Heart vs Brain:
IMO this decision is quite personal.
Still Heart - Ofcource Punto
Brain (VFM) - Figo (from your list)

IMO - I should have been gone for new swift VDi

If you like the Punto,then go for it.It has got refreshed looks and the famous 1.3L MJD(tried & tested mill and is refined too).
But the car is not fun to drive.

And the Figo is overall a good car.But you have to adjust with the outdated styling.
And the inside is also not that stylish when compared to Punto.
[:D]

Figo ticks all the boxes very nicely. If your budget is under 6 lacs, you should go for Figo ZXI. The only issue I have heard with this car is low GC. Otherwise Ford has improved in service department and car comes with all the niceties for the price. Also, it has minimal turbo lag and suited for city and occasional highway trips.

I myself am a Punto lover and have been dreaming to own one since quite some time. Point regarding Tata A.S.S. being bad is not true, they have improved as well and parts are not so hard to found. What it lacks in is plastic quality inside and rear seat space. Otherwise in terms of handling and driveability this is the best bet. Only grudge, no point buying a variant less than emotion, which will cost you much above 6 lacs.

So the order for me would be:-
1. Figo (perfect fit)
2. Punto (if you are ready to stretch the budget)
3. Ritz (if you are able to adjust to the looks)
4. Beat (only a city car)

I would suggest first get. td with your parent then come back tell us we will be able to help you better

Your heart will always point you towards the right car! But in your car if you are ready to stretch and go beyond 6Lakhs and get the Emotion variant then Punto surely it is!

If budget is not stretchable then i would suggest Figo. I am not suggesting Beat since your parents are not comfortable with the car.

IMO, considering all your requirements, i feel Figo Diesel is the car for you. It comes with good comfort, excellent driveability and decent A.S.S.

I would say Punto will be a great vehicle considering the requirements. If budget can be extended for Emotion.
Hope you can have some suggestions from Jayadev about it.

If you are not tall, you can go for Figo - VFM.

If you are going to wait for a TD with New Swift, you can get it added in the cloud of confusion. It has created such a hype.

I would suggest you Figo, thats a car with lots of space inside and engine refinement too.
With lots of boot space too.

Backseat comfort and space is also excellent in Figo.
I have driven a Petrol Figo, it has Zero Engine Noise.
But no idea about the diesel one.

This product is a total VFM...

Is 6lakhs on road or ex showroom?
Some cars worth considering(to me)-
-Hyundai i20Edit:On road price of era i20 d in Bangalore is(carwale)-Rs 7,04,538[surprise]
-Maruti ritz
-Maruti Suzuki Swift[:D]
-Nissan Micra
If you can bear that 3cyl motor the polo/fabia too can be considered.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11

Figo ticks all the boxes very nicely. If your budget is under 6 lacs, you should go for Figo ZXI.
For 6lacs OTR, Figo EXi and Punto Active is available. Both will not have music system and rear power windows. Now my question is how Figo is more VFM then Punto?

I would suggest first get. td with your parent then come back tell us we will be able to help you better
Hmm.. Got the TD for both, Parents felt same in both cars. They are comfortable with both Punto and Figo. Figo seems to have low laid seats compared to punto.

Your heart will always point you towards the right car! But in your car if you are ready to stretch and go beyond 6Lakhs and get the Emotion variant then Punto surely it is!
If budget is not stretchable then i would suggest Figo.
For 6lacs I will be getting same features in both figo exi and punto active.
Is there any issue with Punto Active compared with emotion??

I would say Punto will be a great vehicle considering the requirements. If budget can be extended for Emotion.
Hope you can have some suggestions from Jayadev about it.

If you are not tall, you can go for Figo - VFM.
Again I am not able to understand the VFM label on Figo now. Please help me concluding.

Thanks all for your valuable comments. Can any Punto owners share about service cost??

Some points.
- Punto Active can be further bargained. Sales guy was giving some hint on freebies and upgrades.
- Ford sales guy told that he can only give some freebies like floor mat and 6000k corporate offer, not more then that.
- Punto: 15k kms service whereas Figo: 10k kms.

VFM is very subjective term. Normally we tend to put cheaper vehicle as VFM.
Is there any issue with Punto Active compared with emotion??
No issue with Active.
In Emotion or Pack, you get more features and safety, like ABS , Air Bags etc.
Can any Punto owners share about service cost??
Service cost of Fiat cars are much cheaper, than most of the cars in its segment. For Diesel, say 4-5K will be service cost, per year (or 15k km).

Also, in Bangalore, you will not have any major A.S.S issue as far as Fiat cars are concerned.

Currently, all manufacturers are giving heavy offers, so you can bargain.

All cars have some good and some not so good things. Best is to drive yourself and buy which makes you more happy while doing TD.

Thread Starter #13

VFM is very subjective term. Normally we tend to put cheaper vehicle as VFM.
Correct.. So between Figo EXI and Punto Active - Punto is cheaper with same features.
Rite now I cannot afford ABS or Airbags in any model, so I have to live without it.
Thanks RSM. I checked with Concorde motors, Do you know anything about their service?

Offers are mostly for Petrol siblings and diesel hatchs are not having any nice offers at this time.

As I am very new to driving. Just taking my driving classes, I will rely on valuable suggestions of TAI-ans.

350Z

Core Team

I have been following this forum sincerely for several months and found it very interesting. This forum has helped many people to decide about their dream machine. Now its my turn to get your support.
Welcome to The Automotive India, Madhav. And thanks for the well formatted car purchase thread.

Thanks for reading until this.. Now please fire your suggestions
New Swift is launching tomorrow. Wait for the more information to be revealed before moving on further and keep a watch on this thread for fresh updates (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f.../3632-brand-new-swift-bookings-begins-21.html). Avoid Beat since the rear bench is not the best place to be in for elderly / tall people.

Drive Safe,
350Z

AzAd - your posts suggest that you have silently made a decision towards Punto. If you have, then buy it, dont worry about others. It is a very good car, just not marketed well. In comparison to Figo it is better built and engine is more tried and tested.

Coming to VFM, I am not sure why Figo ZXI is over the budget, must be because of tax structure in Bangalore. In Delhi, it roughly costs around ~5.70 OTR

As 350Z also said, in case you like Swift then wait for the new make over car. It surely will be a VFM as well and considering after sales support from MSIL, you would not think about anything else.

Top Bottom