Heart Over Mind: Hyundai i20 or Volkswagen Polo? (Booked i20)

Thread Starter #31
Re: Heart Over Mind: Hyundai i20 or Volkswagen Polo?

hey gagi i think you are very much confused! i will say wait for new swift or go with i20 if you are doubting on TASS!!
really Mann, am bit confused huh.[confused] msil dealer informed new swift will launch to their showroom on 1st of august..

as you said i ll wait for that few more days to go.

i20 is a good choice except for the steering rattle , poor AC and poor handling. Hyundai's A.S.S is better compared to TATA'S A.S.S.

Swift will be a safer bet with easy on pocket maintenance and not much negatives except for the weak build quality. But be ready to wait for a few months atleast to get the car in your hands after you book it! I think it is mentioned somewhere in the forum already that deliveries of new Swift begins around Diwali only.

Thread Starter #33

i20 is a good choice except for the steering rattle , poor AC and poor handling. Hyundai's A.S.S is better compared to TATA'S A.S.S.

Swift will be a safer bet with easy on pocket maintenance and not much negatives except for the weak build quality. But be ready to wait for a few months atleast to get the car in your hands after you book it! I think it is mentioned somewhere in the forum already that deliveries of new Swift begins around Diwali only.
my friend is close to to sales manager misl even he can adjust me at least for month. Lets see what is i my destiny, i feel its choice. I hope i ll get right choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

punto i love this car a lot. damn not happy with tata ass.
hey gagi,
i have been with my punto since 8 months.
there has been no no big issues with ASS yet.
and mjd with vgt turbo is getting better and better day by day. i dont think any other car in this price range has such an excellent engine and a car..!!!
if you are punto afficionado then dont think about anything less.

i20 is a good choice except for the steering rattle , poor AC and poor handling.
No offence, but come-on dhaya. With 3 major issues, how is its good choice.[:D].

Hyundai's A.S.S is better compared to TATA'S A.S.S.
And Hyundai service is costly as well. Fiat cars are much cheaper to maintain. Spare and labour cost are much cheaper.
There is no issue with normal A.S.S, with Fiat cars, but could be an issue with parts delay sometimes.
And in your city (Chennai) I know for sure Fiat has some good service centers there.

@gagi, Check your A.S.S in your city, if Tata is not good at servicing, no point taking Punto.
Also 200KM for servicing is not a great idea. Polo anyway has 3 cylinder engine, if you take it to highway, you will feel constraint of engine.

Best bet would be i20 for you. But if you are looking for great driving pleasure, wait for Swift.

Fiat cars are much cheaper to maintain. Spare and labour cost are much cheaper.
There is no issue with normal A.S.S, with Fiat cars, but could be an issue with parts delay sometimes.
And in your city (Chennai) I know for sure Fiat has some good service centers there
sure .
100 percent agreement.
my punto has came out of major accident . they did the job within 1 week but yes as RSM said, waited for spare parts for 2 weeks (due to fire in warehouse pune)
total cost of overall repair and service was so reasonable that i am yet to convince i am driving a foreign brand car.
the service and repair were done quite good without any issues yet driven 2500km till then.

i have seen vento diesal and polo onroad ,quite a good looker sometimes i feel they look more elegant than my punto for those sharp features.
but hearing the engine noise which was much higher and clattery , i was very much convinced my fiat win for 10 points. with great suspensions and best in segment ride quality and features .
imho polo sales is enjoying world wide reputation it has but it is not the same car in india.
no good featre too much waiting period and arrogant dealers .
But if you are looking for great driving pleasure, wait for Swift.
rsm you must be kidding!!!
what kind of driving pleasure does swift serve? i know it has very good gear ratios and drive ability but not as comfortable and feature filled.
on the our roads nowadays amby looks much appealing for its classic looks. every tom dick and harry is riding on swift (good swift owners of TAI excluded)it has become sore in eyes. and new swift does not look any different either (as i have seen in pics.)

@gagi, Check your A.S.S in your city, if Tata is not good at servicing, no point taking Punto.
sure , check the ass and dealers in your near about.

Last edited:

@ RSM I suggested i20 was good for him![:D] And besides my friend has an i20 petrol Asta variant. He is not facing the steering rattle issue now after they applied the fix to his car , yes it handles poorly but only above 140 or 150kmph which is not going to be our daily driving and AC yes it cools very slowly and it takes a good 15minutes atleast to cool the cabin but one can live with it. For him VW'S dealership is far away from home and he has already stated that he is not satisfied with his Fiat dealer , so suggested i20 as it was best suited for him. Yes Hyundai's service is definitely costlier compared to rivals and the dealers add every extra possible thing to the bill and make you pay more. But at the end of the day the quality of worksmanship is good and atleast for me i have not faced any parts delay even when my bumper and bonnet has to changed due to a minor accident. Concorde is the best TATA-Fiat dealer in Chennai but i would say they are not the best certainly not upto the professionalism of Hyundai with my experiences so far.

Gagi, I've posted your comment about the bad experiences with VW on their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Volkswagenindia (Post #24 here: ts only for petrol.. i need diesel car.. and i dropped vw.. reason i really hate their attitude towards customers, my dad i really felt so much depression. what they think. they have brand badge? this wont help, to much is to bad they are going.)They will remove it for sure, But they ought to know what people-possible customers that is, think of them. At the moment they are busy platying the fiddle while their image and reputation is burning to shambles.

They removed it already! Was wondering, What would have been, If they were so enthusiastic to address customer issues in a jiffy as well.

Last edited:

every tom dick and harry is riding on swift (good swift owners of TAI excluded)it has become sore in eyes.
for a successful vfm product like swift, there would be many takers and it would be a common sight. if exclusivity is your preference then have to go for a niche product like polo

for diesel variants
go for i20 simply because its 1.4 engine beter then 1.2 engine in polo
The best diesel engine is the 1.3 MJD but the VW 1.2 is also very good. Hyundai Diesel engines need a major overhaul close to a lakh kms which will set you back Rs. 70K. The Fiat and VW engines will easily go to 3L kms without an overhaul. Also the handling of all Hyundai's is horrible. After spending 5 months on a ship I certainly don't enjoy driving a car that rocks like a boat. Of course this can be partially corrected by better tyres but it still cant close to the handling of the European Cars. My suggestion is stick with VW or Fiat. Nothing really goes wrong with them if you just do regular servicing. Remember once thing "some manufacturers have good A.S.S. because their cars need them all the time". BTW Hyundai is a good option if you're not too enthuasiastic about driving. Their cars are way superior to Maruti.

Thread Starter #42

guys sorry for delay, i was so much busy with my work..

tomorrow its time to book a car.
i will booked i20 sports diesel. car will be delivered on Diwali.
i have told sales manager, if i wont any offer on Diwali i ll cancel my booking, and finally i ll with my heart punto..

thanks for every one who help me out.

..cheers..

and finally i ll with my heart punto..
If heart says Punto then you should definitly go for it . I dont find any reason for you not to buy Punto and go for something else.
As the facts is , most of the users I have come across did appreciate punto or linea they owned and those who were against were typically narrow minded ones of course there were criticizer whom did criticize in favor of it .

If it was me in your place I would never compromise against unique experience of great driving, handling,stability ,built and looks compared to plane jane life with jack of all trade but master of none type car.

Reading a review of punto is much different than owning (driving) it.

even a short test drive cannot give much of an idea as what it would give you in long run.

Top Bottom