Headlight Glare of Oncoming Vehicles in Night Driving

Thread Starter #1
I recently purchased i 10 car and i am new driver. While driving in night headlight of other cars hit into my eyes which disturbs me very much.in fact i cant see anything infront of my car for a second when other cars & vehechiles headlight hit on my eyes. What is the solution for this problem. What is high beam & low beam in cars? Which type of beam mode should i drive while night driving?in my car head light beam level device is given . What is headlight levelling device & how it is used.please explain how headlight beam are kept at the proper levelling position?

Well I don't know about any tech which reduces glare of oncoming cars. But in case it hits you, just focus on the left side of the road where the edge is to quickly regain vision. And you should use high/low beam as conditions mandate (Periodically flash high-beam when a shadow-region is developed, keep in low mode other times since it helps you spot sleeping obstacles (Eg potholes) and high mode lets you spot things that are walking/riding/driving on the road (Mostly without reflectors and/or lights) and when on high speeds on the highway or fast roads, keep in high mode when there is no oncoming vehicle because you need to spot it from more far away. Also, do not turn on your foglamps when there is not situation of poor visibility. It's against the law AND it further glares the oncoming drivers. However, you may use them if your lights create a shadow zone.) and always low beam when there is oncoming traffic. Flash lights once or twice to let the offending driver know what he is doing. BMW developed a tech which is really effective. It adjusts and turns off the lights in the favor of the oncoming driver. But not all of us drive around in BMWs, right?[frustration]

EDIT: About headlight leveling device, it is used to point the low-beam to the correct spot when your car is loaded. The weight at the rear makes the lights focus skyward. But for us, it can also be used to adjust focus. regardless of load.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Thanks for putting up the topic dear. Very significant in today's time. I seldom drive in late evenings and night but whenever I do, I am tensed simply because the attitude of fellow motorists in Delhi/NCR is really selfish in this respect. As a rule for safe and sane driving, the motorists should use dipper at night time but almost 99% people don't abide by this which leads to inconvenience for other drivers.

A small thing that I tried from my end to overcome this was that I got my car's headlamps tinted. The visibility is minimally reduced but it does not provide glare to on-coming traffic. I did this for practical and aesthetic purpose but at least other motorists won't be hurt by my driving.

IMG_20140807_143830830.jpg

I understand that all this is a make-shift arrangement but what else can be done to cure this problem? It is dangerous to drive with high beam in night but even after repeated attempts not much success has been achieved till now.

Regards

Akash

350Z

Core Team
I recently purchased i 10 car and i am new driver. While driving in night headlight of other cars hit into my eyes which disturbs me very much.in fact i cant see anything infront of my car for a second when other cars & vehechiles headlight hit on my eyes. What is the solution for this problem.
First action should be to switch one's own headlamps to low-beam so that the oncoming driver doesn't suffers from same issue. Unfortunately despite of being well-informed of the cons, most of the people still use high-beams in cities. However, at the same time I've also come across a few sensible drivers who switch to low-beam in an area where high-beam is required as soon as they spot an oncoming car.

What is high beam & low beam in cars? Which type of beam mode should i drive while night driving?
The difference is same as described above. Low beam has a limited throw of light which is more directed straight down towards the road. High beam, on the other hand, is brighter and has a longer throw of beam. Therefore, low-beam is most recommended for city driving where high-beam will be unnecessary. You can switch between the modes by pulling / pushing the headlamp stalk behind the steering wheel.

in my car head light beam level device is given . What is headlight levelling device & how it is used.please explain how headlight beam are kept at the proper levelling position?
You wouldn't need to use leveling device too often. It's used to level the headlamp beam in situation when the car is stuffed with heavy luggage at back (which causes the front to slightly rise upward) and hence affecting the normal throw of beam. Details on appropriate use of modes must be mentioned in the car's manual.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom