Hatch or Sedan Which is More Safe and Secure?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am not sure this one was discussed already. When i think of buying a hatch, I always get this mental block that sedan is more secure because of the extra box we get in the back and slightly bigger size. Between hatch and Sedan which one is more safe to drive and in the event of accidents which one provides more safety comparatively. Please share your thoughts on this.

Regards,
Krish

Hello AutoKrish welcome to TAI.

More than a sedan or a hatch i feel the build quality matters the most along with the safety features. Personally i don't believe sedans are more safer than hatches , maybe just a little more safe in case of a rear collision. But SUV'S are the safest compared to sedans and hatches!

I vote for Sedan.
1) Rear boot is safer for Rear collision
2) Longer wheelbase & low CG - Better stability - Minimum possibilities for roll

But safety depends more on build quality rather than the rear boot.

AMG

Suspended
It is all about the build quality and the safety features.

Imagine a Nano comes out with a Sedan or SUV, will it be safer than a i20?

I dont think so.

Its not possible to vote one of them to be safe. There are hatch backs which have secured better safety ratings over the hatch backs. Also the safety is not limited to the features. I recently came across a news in which all the occupants of a Merc/BMW (not sure), were killed. The car collided head on with a truck. So in addtion to the safety features, what also counts is the impact.

@AutoKrish: If you are taking the views for your car purchase, then i can only suggest that go for a variant with ABS and Airbags to be on the safer side.

Its not possible to vote one of them to be safe. There are hatch backs which have secured better safety ratings over the hatch backs. Also the safety is not limited to the features. I recently came across a news in which all the occupants of a Merc/BMW (not sure), were killed. The car collided head on with a truck. So in addtion to the safety features, what also counts is the impact.

@AutoKrish: If you are taking the views for your car purchase, then i can only suggest that go for a variant with ABS and Airbags to be on the safer side.
Akash - I reckon you were talking about an incident here in Pune, where all 4 occupants (1 famous builder) of a Merc were killed, 3 on the spot and 1 later by an head on collision with truck.

Anyway coming back to topic, +1 to what you have said, there is no way to judge whether hatchback is safe or sedan is safe. It all depends on build strenght, safety features like ABS, Airbags, support pillar strength etc. A big sedan like Maruti esteem can be less safe compared to a fully loaded i20. If you need to find out about safety you need to check NCAP ratings.

P.S - I also think there is some amount of luck involved in getting safe out of an accident, which can never be calculated [glasses]

It depends on 3 things irrespective of whether its a sedan or a hatch

1. Build quality
2. Chassis behaviour at higher speeds
3. Safety features like ABS, airbags, etc

Thread Starter #8
Thanks to all fellow members who replied. I basically meant same build and make comparison. For example between polo and vento or between punto and linea. My optra is due for replacement and i am in the market for looking almost an year. Compared to my Swift, Optra definitely gives me more safe and secruity feeling. I liked both polo and punto looks, so when i start thinking about hatch i keep thinking instead of polo i should think of vento as it will give better safety because of boot(same goes instead of punto think about linea). Considering ABS and Airbags available on both Polo and Vento which one is more safer? If the hatch and sedan both available from same automaker which one is more safer?

350Z

Core Team
Considering ABS and Airbags available on both Polo and Vento which one is more safer? If the hatch and sedan both available from same automaker which one is more safer?
Welcome to TAI, AutoKrish. Although there are countless factors which affect safety viewpoint of a car but considering the above statement, sedan will be certainly safer and stable than a hatchback in case of collision.

It is all about the build quality and the safety features.

Imagine a Nano comes out with a Sedan or SUV, will it be safer than a i20?

I dont think so.
Build quality sure does play an important role but this evaluation sounds absurd. Tata Nano and Hyundai i20 do not belong to the segment; hence, the comparison is invalid at first place.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Akash - I reckon you were talking about an incident here in Pune, where all 4 occupants (1 famous builder) of a Merc were killed, 3 on the spot and 1 later by an head on collision with truck.

Anyway coming back to topic, +1 to what you have said, there is no way to judge whether hatchback is safe or sedan is safe. It all depends on build strenght, safety features like ABS, Airbags, support pillar strength etc. A big sedan like Maruti esteem can be less safe compared to a fully loaded i20. If you need to find out about safety you need to check NCAP ratings.

P.S - I also think there is some amount of luck involved in getting safe out of an accident, which can never be calculated [glasses]
Sure, it depends on the build quality. However after taking a look at the accident merc, I found that the angle and position (of impact) at time of crash is also an important factor. As in this accident, the tanker jumped on the front glass directly. This was a not a direct frontal impact.

Well if in that case yes a sedan is little more safer in case of a rear collision and also sedans are much more aerodynamically designed so the chances of roll over is very rare!

But having said that much depends on the angle and speed of impact and also you need that bit of luck on your side in case of an accident!

Thanks to all fellow members who replied. I basically meant same build and make comparison. For example between polo and vento or between punto and linea. My optra is due for replacement and i am in the market for looking almost an year. Compared to my Swift, Optra definitely gives me more safe and secruity feeling. I liked both polo and punto looks, so when i start thinking about hatch i keep thinking instead of polo i should think of vento as it will give better safety because of boot(same goes instead of punto think about linea). Considering ABS and Airbags available on both Polo and Vento which one is more safer? If the hatch and sedan both available from same automaker which one is more safer?
honestly it all doesnt matters dude IMO. buy car of your choice coz i feel only where sedan can save you is rear impact which occurs very rarely!!

Build quality has nothing to do with the safety of the occupants of the car. an indigo/indica has been built much better/ stronger than the honda city/jazz. but honda city is compared safer than the above mentioned, coz they have crumple zones which absorb the impact of the collision.

tata indigo with tank like build just repels the impact making the occupants bounce

The safety of the vehicle in case of collision is determined by the design of the crumple zone. These would be designed in much better way based on the cost of the car. SUVs and Premium Sedans/Hatchbacks would have these features. This crumple zone is for the safety when the accident happens. The ABS is to prevent accident in case of braking on the curves. The Airbag also prevents the damage to the driver/passenger depends on the number of Airbags installed in car. So, i20 with Airbag/ABS is much safer than the Honda City without Airbag/ABS. Now, choice is yours :)

Top Bottom