Harsh ride with BMWs run flat tyres?

Thread Starter #1
I am having some problems with my new BMW. I feel the ride is very hard. When I asked a few of my friends they said, it could be because of the tyre that BMW uses. They also told me to change the tyres and use the regular one. When checked on google, it also indicated that the BMW tyres are not good. What should I do now? Change the tyres? Will get any insurance or
refund on changing the tyre from the BMW showroom? Its is a 3 month old car and the tyres are in good condition.?

I am surprised to know BMW doesn't use good tyre. Which tyre you have on your BMW?

Insurance can be claimed only if there is some accident for tyres and refund (under warranty) can be claimed only if there is some damage. If just the ride is hard, I don't think you can do either.

Whats your tyre size?

350Z

Core Team
I am having some problems with my new BMW. I feel the ride is very hard. When I asked a few of my friends they said, it could be because of the tyre that BMW uses. They also told me to change the tyres and use the regular one. When checked on google, it also indicated that the BMW tyres are not good. What should I do now? Change the tyres? Will get any insurance or refund on changing the tyre from the BMW showroom? Its is a 3 month old car and the tyres are in good condition.?
Welcome to The Automotive India, Prithvi. This is one of the most common issues which BMW owners often complain about. Yes, it is true that due to the stiff sidewalls, run flat tires offer comparatively harsh ride and it is also reported that RFTs do not last as long as normal tires. So all in all, I would say if you wish to replace them, then it’s a compromise between safety and comfort, because looking on the other side of coin, they could prove to be quite helpful at times, otherwise if you can not at all tolerate slightly stiff ride, consider replacing them with some other reliable brand. However, since your car is almost new, replacing the original tires may void actual warranty, so make sure to confirm this before doing so.
I am surprised to know BMW doesn't use good tyre. Which tyre you have on your BMW?
It's not about quality, but their nature.

Drive Safe,
350Z

the tyres are not bad but as vibhor mentioned, its because of the run flats. sadly, they are not the most ideal tyres for indian conditions.

Hello Prithvi welcome to TAI. Which BMW do you own by the way?

Yes even i read reports saying these run-flat tyres are not suitable for indian conditions in a TD report of X1 and they also mentioned that the X1 will not have run-flat tyres!

No , you cannot claim insurance for changing tyres due to stiffer ride. Either you should bear with it as they are pretty new or try changing to reliable brands if you are willing to change it.

The Run-Flat tyres offered by BMW are good only on perfect or near perfect tarmac roads. It creates a very bumpy ride on every other kind of road. Plus, if someone gets a flat tyre, then there is no spare one either. He/She will have to drive it on to the repair shop. It does create annoyance. Even here on some roads, the ride does get very bumpy and a lot of tyre noise. The Merc E is much better in this aspect. Good thing, the X1 will not be getting the Run-Flat tyres. But why should BMW change the tyres on other models? It doesnt matter does it? They are still selling pretty well!

Due to reinforcement in tyre side walls, run-flat tires usually give firmer rides compared to conventional tires.

So if you are not okay to sacrifice your ride quality, you can always go for normal ones.

This will not be covered under waranty and you have to borne the complete cost.

If you plant to remove all the run flat tyres , make some arrangements in boot to hold a spare tyre , else install the self puncture treatment in new ones. I hope the product name is slime!

AMG

Suspended
Run flats have a harsh ride.

Learn to live with it.

Or change them to normal ones.

And NO, you WILL NOT get any insurance/compensation for the current tyres.

@ cooldhaya

You didnt know that?

BMW cars / run flat tyres unsuitable for Indian roads /conditions

hi i have 5 months old 5 series car, and i have had three tyres burst( not punters) ,
disc pad, brakes issues, steering wheel noise and wobbling on braking issues ,

pls be aware before you buy any BMW products, it appears to be tall claims specially on Run flat technology .
Join me if you have bad experience with BMW products,

I am having some problems with my new BMW. I feel the ride is very hard. When I asked a few of my friends they said, it could be because of the tyre that BMW uses. They also told me to change the tyres and use the regular one. When checked on google, it also indicated that the BMW tyres are not good. What should I do now? Change the tyres? Will get any insurance or
refund on changing the tyre from the BMW showroom? Its is a 3 month old car and the tyres are in good condition.?
the RFT is unsuitable for indian roads, i have had three tires bursts ( almost life threatening while driving the vehicle ,
there have been issues in steering wheel and brakes, etc .

hi all,
i bought a 5 series from BMW , it has spent over two months in the service centre, BMW seems to disown the problem and its dealer , unbelievable horrifying after sales by BMW , i have had several rounds to the workshop , pls beware and do your proper research before you a buy a BMW .

i have had two tires burst, with lose of control over the car, just lucky to survive , on a uphill drive on a highway , between solan and shimla .
pls beware before you buy a BMW call me to understand what i went through specially on the horrifying after sales service. i have had then problems on brakes , and steering wheel noise , in a five month old car , with a huge price tag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom