Handling a ‘Hot’ Steering Wheel in Summers

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
aah , this happens a lot. and my car too is parked under direct sunlight. even the gear knob gets hot. if we cover it with cloth won't it look suspicious ? well obviously people staring in the car will notice that cloth and someone may thing it might have something special :stupid:

although covering with fabric is good idea but don't think it will be helpful who have sweaty hands and i think all gets sweaty holding the steering and it will stink after some time. :help:

Fazer

Suspended
I feel best is to get front sunfilm (of high VLT, say normal ones, 70% or more) and also install the roll-on ones (which we get at Red Lights). Keep the AC on all the time!
Why? If we keep AC off, we normally roll down the windows, this will increase our fuel consumption by 10% and if we keep AC on with windows up,, this also increases the fuel consumptoin by 10%.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I already have films on my car. They are not black. And we should prefer ac over windows when we are going at a speed more than 60-70 kmph. Then it reduces mileage not on normal speeds :p

+1 to allhyundaicars.
Only at higher speeds, the force of incoming air increases drag.
When in normal city traffic, and speeds below 40-60, the drag created by air entering your car is always low. No impact on fuel consumption coz of that.
Its only on higher speeds that you see drag impacting FC

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Handling a ‘Hot’ Steering Wheel in Summers

+1 to allhyundaicars.
Only at higher speeds, the force of incoming air increases drag.
When in normal city traffic, and speeds below 40-60, the drag created by air entering your car is always low. No impact on fuel consumption coz of that.
Its only on higher speeds that you see drag impacting FC
learned this from other member in this community [thumbsup]

so what do you think one should do ?

Thread Starter #22

350Z

Core Team

Thanks for the response. Nice to read different ideas out here but a few clarifications:

> Turning on the air conditioner right after starting the car isn’t advisable.

> Turning on the air conditioner with all the windows rolled down isn’t a nice idea either.

> Not all the cars have a powerful air conditioner. So this technique doesn’t help.

Vibhor : The Burning Wheel pic looks really Hot!
@350Z, the pic you have chosen actually reminds of the feeling when I used to touch my hot steering wheel.
I recalled my own situation that made me to create this image.

Also, I always hold the Punto's steering at the base or the sides at the base. And the steering always gets hot at the top portion. So I never face any problems with this.
+1 to that but I’m afraid that it might not work all the times.

if we cover it with cloth won't it look suspicious ? well obviously people staring in the car will notice that cloth and someone may thing it might have something special
Not really. It’s a common practice to prevent the steering from getting hot. Though avoid so in case of items like ICE. It’s better to detach HU’s face and keep it along.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Well putting a cloth would not do a major difference. I would get in to the car, lower all four windows by a inch, turn on BLOWER, get out of the car for a minute or two, get in, Turn Off Blower, Ignition On then raise windows & turn on AC. Hope this helps. I has helped me every single time.

Happy Motoring Folks
Santosh.V

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
the temperature was not that much today [:D] entered the car at 12:00pm and i don't remember touching the hot gears. i forgot to put the cloth :stupid:

My two cents
The cabin becomes got mainly because of the air inside getting hot. Continuous exposure to sunlight can seriously damage the interiors, especially the dashboard.

Some common methods.

1)Prevent the cabin from getting hot by using retractable roll up shades or some other types of products that can act as a shield. This is the most common method. Usage of sunfilm is not advisable since the SC has banned it.

2)Solar fans that recirculate the air in the car are available in the market. The air in the cabin wont get very hot because of the recirculation.
Here's one.
Solar Auto Vent - YouTube
These are available for Rs.500-700.

3)Just like steering wheel covers, there are dashboard covers too. While these may not prevent the car from getting hot as much as the others, it can definitely protect your dashboard. Guys with passenger airbags in their cars need not worry. These covers wont interrupt their operation.

Method 1 + method 2 together will definitely prevent the cabin from getting hot. But the problem is that you can't leave straightaway after parking. You have to fit the sun shades, then the fan...[:D]. It will take some time. Though it's definitely worth it, most of us wont have that much time.

And the best way is to avoid parking under the sun. It's not just the interiors, but the exteriors too are affected by the sun.

So it's time for method no.4. It's a simple yet very effective method. Don't laugh.

4)Use a heat resistant car cover! Yes! If you have enough time to fix the sunshades and fans why not use the car cover?

Advantages
  • Protects the interior as well as exterior of the car.
  • Protects the car from dust.
  • Very simple procedure.
  • Will last for a long time.
  • No extra cost (you will have to buy a car cover anyway).
Ya it's not a show off thing. Ya the onlookers might laugh.
But if you plan to leave the car under the sun for some time (that's when the cabin gets very hot) using a heatproof(heat resistant actually)car cover is always a good idea because of the overall protection it offers.

But for shorter periods of time maybe one should use those sunshades and all. This is when we really miss the sunfilms.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
well the 2nd point is new to me [thumbsup] but where to put the solar cells ? om the windshield ?

also , there's no decent dash covers [sad] and i think good one needs to be stitched like we get in high end cars.

another suggestion if you want to park your car for 3-6 hours , park the car , rear end facing the sun. mostly all cars have small back glass so sun and heat won't come that much inside the car.

well the 2nd point is new to me [thumbsup] but where to put the solar cells ? om the windshield ?

also , there's no decent dash covers [sad] and i think good one needs to be stitched like we get in high end cars.

another suggestion if you want to park your car for 3-6 hours , park the car , rear end facing the sun. mostly all cars have small back glass so sun and heat won't come that much inside the car.
The solar cell is on the fan itself. All you have to do is fix the fan on the window and roll it up.

Don't worry. Decent dashboard covers are available these days. There are good imported models. But they're not that popular here.

Parking the car with the rear end facing the sun is a good idea during the morning and evening but that wont work during other times of the day since the sun will be directly above us[frustration].

Although I have never ever felt it till date even if I just enter and move the car which was parked in sun for 5-6 hours but today it was the first time I felt like the wheel can burn my hands.
Actually now a days I am driving an Alto LXi and today about half an hour back when I entered my car which was parked under direct sun on the wheel for about 2 hours,I entered and turned the A/C on to convert the oven into a car and when I touched the wheel(In fact I caught its rim quite tightly with my right hand on the top)it was like boiling.
I just left it,got my handkerchief wet and rubbed it over the wheel.After that my first step was to get a partial leather-partial cloth cover installed on the wheel.

In other words..the cloth-leather covers are a good remedy for this issue,they get hot,but not as much as the plastic or rubber gets.

Top Bottom