Handling a ‘Hot’ Steering Wheel in Summers

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Hopefully the title says it all. I am sure that it is a big trouble for those who have to park their rides under direct sunlight in certain places. Park the car in morning and once you come back, the steering wheel or for that matter, the entire car functions no less than an oven. In fact, the metal end of the seat belt buckle is hot enough to burn a finger. Anyways I was thinking what the fellow members do to prevent this issue. Cover the steering with a towel? Buy a fabric steering wheel cover. Or anything else that I missed? Now that the sunfilms are not permitted in India, this solution is also out of the question.

Hot-Steering-in-Sun.gif

Drive Safe,
350Z

Fazer

Suspended
Re: Handling a Hot Steering Wheel in Summers

In my Car, I used Sunfilms (50% sides and rear) and a Velvet Steering wheel cover. This didn't solve the issue either.
Try touching the Dashboard by placing your entire hand (All fingers tightly) on the Dashboard after 2-3 hours of parking in open sunlight![:D]
I would never ever think of putting a Towel! TAXI-type![;)]

Vibhor : The Burning Wheel pic looks really Hot! [lol]

This is an serious issue i felt it 2days back, i was parked for not even 20min and came back it was burning, i took a cloth put some water into it and kept it to cool for sometime.
Not only the steering wheel the door handles, seat covers ...
that much sweat i have to face [frustration]to settle for sometime.

But imagine if in an busy situation we can't afford to do these things.

Whenever my car is parked in sun for long,my first step is to go and start the car with A/C on and leave it for 10 minutes(I take the remote in my pocket)after that when I enter my car,I find everything okay.
Rest my wheel never becomes that hot..thanks to the leather cover.

Mods:Please add bike's seat and handle in this thread and then see..I am sure 100% of us have experienced burning butt and burning fingers by touching the clutch on the bike:lol!:

It happens to me many times. Most recent one was on sunday. Steerin was really hot. But I have also faced the problem in feb 2012 when I went to Gujarat, at morning 4.00 AM it was so cold that inside car it was like fridge, and steering was very cold . :-)

The option is to use the window cover sort of thing that are sold near Traffic signals. blocking window is banned while driving car. I hope there is no clause where it says windows should not be blocked even when it is parked in blazing sun afternoon. :-)

Whenever my car is parked in sun for long,my first step is to go and start the car with A/C on and leave it for 10 minutes(I take the remote in my pocket)after that when I enter my car,I find everything okay.
Rest my wheel never becomes that hot..thanks to the leather cover.

Mods:Please add bike's seat and handle in this thread and then see..I am sure 100% of us have experienced burning butt and burning fingers by touching the clutch on the bike:lol!:
You need to be lot more patience to wait for 10minutes and if you are in any case of emergency then these steps are ruled out and definitely u will feel some kind of heat to turn on the AC.

Fazer

Suspended

Yes!
We all have faced frying butts and fingers!
Best way to prevent your LEft hand (When on bike)
DRIVE WITH ONE HAND! As I do! [lol]

Any more experiences?

I faced this issue two days ago, Though i had covered the steering wheel with cotton cloth, it did not help, need some more inputs from members:help::please:

I keep a thick white towel in my glove box and whenever I have to leave the car parked in sun, I just put the towel on the steering. Believe me it keeps it cool. Also, I have now started keeping a small one too to cover my touch screen HU when parked in sun. Simple and effective solution.

OT : @350Z, the pic you have chosen actually reminds of the feeling when I used to touch my hot steering wheel. [;)]

freakdude.

I just turn on the AC. Thankfully, the steering is back to normal in 1 or 2 minutes.

Also, I always hold the Punto's steering at the base or the sides at the base. And the steering always gets hot at the top portion. So I never face any problems with this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Does the SC ruling say only while driving or also during parking?
I was hoping we can use sun-shields for the front when car is parked in the sun.
There are some "roll out" types which may help.
As for me, i've got a black beauty and its "HOT" [;)] [Pun intended]
I wet my kerchief and wipe the wheel initially.

Well 'The Ruling' if at all to be of any use should be while parking also because those crimes which they intend to stop happen while the car is parked!! But you can expect anything in Mera Bharat Mahaan!!!

I usually use the windshield sunshade and that helps a lot. Reflects the sunlight, so to some extent my car does not get that hot either.

i do normally what Vipul does. wait for 5-10 minutes with full ac on. if time is a problem, then just turn on ac full and all windows down full, works all the time.

Top Bottom