Gypsy "Buy or not?"

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys, well i need a few answers. My friend Raj is always touring out of Indore in M.P. He always had problems with his swift on his long tours away from home. Lot of bad roads in M.P. & the swift gets tortured all the way. He recently got in a little accident & the car's front suspension & arms got damaged. Now he is low on cash but he wants something that can handle all the abuse on his tours & is that much reliable. We instantly thought of a Maruti gypsy. Searched the local market, checked some of them, very bad condition & old models i.e. -2000, repainted a couple of times etc.. We did find one 2000 model "army" gypsy in 'ok' condition. hez asking 1.5L. Now the question is, will buying a 2000 model gypsy solve his purpose? or will it again be a loss of money? wats are the pros & cons of this machine? what is gud & bad in a pre-army gypsy? plz help[confused]

To my knowledge, a used Gypsy might serve his purpose. The only thing is, Rs 1.5 lakh is a unrealistic price. Rs 1 lakh sounds OK. And how come a gypsy used in the army is being sold so early. Govt. vehicles are generally salvaged/sold off/condemned only after 14-15 years, or in the case of a major accident. Does the gypsy in question have a civilian no. plate? Is it a HT? And what's left of the Swift now?

AMG

Suspended
I would recommend a Mahindra Jeep.

Because it is a Diesel.

And your friend does a lot of touring, so go for the Jeep.

A jeep is a good option too. It would be great if he could find himself an old Bolero or an Armada. It would be more comfy than a jeep

Thread Starter #5
He got the swift repaired in insurance. But now he doesnt wanna risk it again.
His budget is only under 1.5L becoz hez low on cash. The army gypsy has indore registration. We will check it out today. Finding a jeep is another big problem in indore. Bolero & armada are out of budget. Gypsy has esteem's 1.3L?? i think parts wont be a problem then[confused]

Here is the ex-army gypsy:-
OG3.jpg
OG2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. Post 1997, the gypsy came with th Esteem's 1.3 L engine.
It seems OK. Don't pay more than 1.2 lakh for it. 1 lakh is ideal.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Is it the same G13 of the old swift BS3? he is asking 1.5L[shock]
do u think he will come down to 1L[confused] And that too for a open cabin gypsy?? wat if he doesnt hav the fabric roof. where to get that?

BS3 came into existence in 2004, so it must be BS1 or BS2. Unless used Gypsies are rare in M.P, 1.2 lakh is normal. Bring down the price to Rs 1.25 - 1.3 lakh, if not 1 lakh. Just try for 1 lakh. AFAIK, 1.25 lakh might be ideal.

Don't worry I'm sure he will have a soft top for it, or else the interiors would have started rotting already! :biggrin: Anyway, these can always be made from tarpaulin.
All the best.

Thread Starter #9
Thanx

There are a lot of gypsys in M.P. becoz M.P. holds the military headquarters of war (MHOW) just near indore. If not possible here, will try in MHOW also. lets see what this guy has to say 1st[cry] will post after coming back....

Shonty, A military's jeep???
It must have been over used.:biggrin:
So better try any other Gypsy apart from Army.
1.5 lakhs looks too costly for a Gypsy.
A max of 50k-70k is acceptable and not more than that.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
He refused to negotiate. the car was in a fair condition. engine OK, lot of dents, broken interiors etc...
so wat to do now? pay 1.5L for a 2000 model gypsy? or should we find others?

Last edited:
The army gypsy has indore registration. We will check it out today. Finding a jeep is another big problem in indore. Bolero & armada are out of budget. Gypsy has esteem's 1.3L?? i think parts wont be a problem then[confused]

Here is the ex-army gypsy:-
I read about this particular gypsy. He bought it from Mayapuri, its a 2000 Carb king for 1.12L, don't know how much he spent on it after that on this gypsy. Then he bought a new gypsy (it is there in the picture you have posted). This one has following problems
1. 4x4 gear box needs change
2. Engine gets over heated very soon
3. Steering rod needs replacement
4. Problems with wiring.

I'll suggest stay away from this or at least make sure he has rectified all the above problems.

350Z

Core Team
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy is a great vehicle with go-anywhere capabilities which can be serviced almost anywhere and is good enough to drive too. Your friend would probably not regret making this decision; However, make sure to do a thorough research as well as inspection because mostly Gypsy are hard driven, which is certain due to their rough nature. A 2002 – 2003 hard top model should fit well under that budget, but with military vehicles there are only two options; either they’ll be in absolute perfect condition or extremely not. Especially the one in image you have posted is better if termed as the latter. Apparently going by the condition, it does not at all look purchase-n-drive model, some refurbishing is definitely required.

So again, like I told previously, do as much research as you and your pal can, it may consume a little time, but will pay-off at the end and long-term. Also, don’t forget to inquire at Maruti True Value, they’ll charge a little premium but that at least guarantees peace of mind. Besides, I’d like to draw your attention towards an immaculate condition Jeep which is available for sale at Rs.2.5 Lakhs, the only grief is that it's in Delhi. I by chance stumbled upon it a couple of days ago while randomly going through classifieds, Do have a look.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #14
I read about this particular gypsy. He bought it from Mayapuri, its a 2000 Carb king for 1.12L, don't know how much he spent on it after that on this gypsy. Then he bought a new gypsy (it is there in the picture you have posted). This one has following problems
1. 4x4 gear box needs change
2. Engine gets over heated very soon
3. Steering rod needs replacement
4. Problems with wiring.

I'll suggest stay away from this or at least make sure he has rectified all the above problems.
WOW!!! thats fantastic news bro! thanx for the gorgeous info! now lets see what he does when "I" tell him the problems with his car[evil]

Top Bottom