Guide: Online Shopping Abroad & Customs Formalities

Re: Armrest

Are you sure I need an IE code? This guy said he has shipped the item to many customers in India and that they have had no problems at all. Anyways. I will wait because I don't think the prices will change in two weeks time. [:)]

Regards,
Vipin
Yes. Anything above 2000Rs would need IE code. IE code is needed to protect the importers who pay good amount of taxes while importing. If IE code is not needed everyone in India can import any number of good na? As i get to know the rule Anyone can purchase good value up to 400$ in 3 months interval. Next purchase should be after 3 months. But now a days customs officials are seizing products worth even 100$ and asking for IE code.

You can try your luck and go ahead with purchase. If your really luck the customs may clear your parcel with out any hassles.

Regards,
Sankar

I asked a couple of people who bought stuff from aliexpress.com and they said they didn't need any IE code and that the customs people did not create any hassles. But I can't buy stuff from aliexpress because the need a credit card or a maestro debit card, both of which I don't have.

Regards,
Vipin

Thread Starter #18

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Import Export Licence code is a must only for commercial imports.

It is not required for personal purchase.

Only thing, you can't judge about their customs duty. Now a day, they do it as per their whims and fancy. Earlier I ordered a watch from AE @ 10 dollars, received safely and no customs duty levied.. I have ordered two more of the same recently for my friend at a discounted price which was costing together less than Rs.1000/-.

Today, the Post Man called me and told that the parcel has come and I have to pay Rs.2500 towards custom duty.
Don’t you think that it would be atrocious to pay a custom duty of Rs.2500 for an item worth Rs.1000 or less? So I refused to accept and told them to send it back to the seller. Sometimes, we have to prepare for it, for being an Indian.
There is a provision, you can give a representation against the CD levied; but I do not know, how far it will work.

Last edited:
Import Export Licence code is a must only for commercial imports.

It is not required for personal purchase.

Only thing, you can't judge about their customs duty. Now a day, they do it as per their whims and fancy. Earlier I ordered a watch from AE @ 10 dollars, received safely and no customs duty levied.. I have ordered two more of the same recently for my friend at a discounted price which was costing together less than Rs.1000/-.

Today, the Post Man called me and told that the parcel has come and I have to pay Rs.2500 towards custom duty.
Don’t you think that it would be atrocious to pay a custom duty of Rs.2500 for an item worth Rs.1000 or less? So I refused to accept and told them to send it back to the seller. Sometimes, we have to prepare for it, for being an Indian.
There is a provision, you can give a representation against the CD levied; but I do not know, how far it will work.
Doc it's not like that. Ordinary citizens without IE code can import ONLY ONE ITEM under the value of 400$ or 2000Rs (Which ever is higher) in 3 MONTHS INTERVAL.

This rule is necessary or else anyone can import items according to their wish and the importers who pay a lot in taxes will suffer. Also
you need lots of documents like KVAT, CST and current account to apply for IE code. Distributors have to pay additional service tax and logistics charges while normal buyers doesn't need ot pay for all this so can get the same item at lesser price from abroad. The rule was implemented to stop people from importing goods by their own.

Even if you buy a item worth 10$ you will have to wait 90 days for your next purchase or else customs legally can seize you goods and put them up for auction.

Doc customs official doesn't determine the actual value of goods from the invoice because anyone can undervalue the cost of goods. Whenever they receive imported goods they go online and research for the products. They charge customs duty as per the actual cost of the goods and not the discounted price that you buy. If you are a distributor, then submit the distributor licence along with the list of products to customs office and get it approved after which customs duty will be charged as per distributor price only. This is the reason why they charged you more than double for your purchase.

Regards,
Sankar

Last edited:
Thread Starter #20

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Thanks Sankar for your detailed reply.

It would be helpful to others.

Truly,I have purchased many things in the past within 3 months, I have not paid any custom duty.

This watch I refered, the discounted price is not for me and it is the actual price of invoice even today
( actually they have reduced their price) and can be verified by anybody online.

I still don't understand why they have levied such customs duty. They could have even called for the origional invoice if they have a doubt that it is under valued.

Regards
Dr MUDHAN

Thanks Sankar for your detailed reply.

It would be helpful to others.

Truly,I have purchased many things in the past within 3 months, I have not paid any custom duty.

This watch I refered, the discounted price is not for me and it is the actual price of invoice even today
( actually they have reduced their price) and can be verified by anybody online.

I still don't understand why they have levied such customs duty. They could have even called for the origional invoice if they have a doubt that it is under valued.

Regards
Dr MUDHAN
You are lucky since customs officials haven't noticed your buying spree[lol]

Jokes apart i import costly things like amplifiers, subwoofers and component speakers on regular basis now a days. This might be the reason why i am more scrutinized.

Regarding your purchase i am sure customs officials tried to levy taxes as per their will. But let me explain to you a possibility that can happen.

I buy a Tag Huer watch which is priced at 500$. I got a flat discount of say 40% from the dealer. Dealer has listed this clearly in his online store. So i have to pay customs duty for product cost which is 300$ plus shipping. But what happens is that customs officials might check the pricing in watch manufacturers website and it may list the full cost without any discounts. In such a case they will charge customs duty for full amount. Did this happen in your case?

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #22

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
This is an ordinary Chinese make but looks gorgeous and there is no chance for them to check up with manufacturers as it not of international repute.
Truly, during my earlier purchase of the same watch I had no such difficulty.

Mu.jpg

I have checked up with my colleague’s husband who is working in one of our Indian Airport as Airport Authority. I am told that sometime it happens due to individual perception of value. He said the mistake I did, I should have not refused; instead, I should have asked for reassessment of duty and they would have considered by calling, submitting the original invoice & payment details.
I spoke to the Postman; in turn he made me to speak to the Post Master to trace the watch packet.
He told me that the moment it is refused by the buyer, it would go the main foreign post office and thereafter to Calcutta to return to the seller. I checked up with foreign post office and requested then to hold so that I can apply for reassessment.

I will make a try but I don’t know how far it will work! Even, if the seller gets it back,no problem, at least I can ask for a refund.( only thing it should never disappear in between!!!)

Meanwhile, I have received three of my purchases abroad – one mobile cover, L.E.D bulbs (AliExpress), one dashboard doll (DX.com) without any hassle as usual.

Last edited:
This is an ordinary Chinese make but looks gorgeous and there is no chance for them to check up with manufacturers as it not of international repute.
Truly, during my earlier purchase of the same watch I had no such difficulty.

I have checked up with my colleague’s husband who is working in one of our Indian Airport as Airport Authority. I am told that sometime it happens due to individual perception of value. He said the mistake I did, I should have not refused; instead, I should have asked for reassessment of duty and they would have considered by calling, submitting the original invoice & payment details.
I spoke to the Postman; in turn he made me to speak to the Post Master to trace the watch packet.
He told me that the moment it is refused by the buyer, it would go the main foreign post office and thereafter to Calcutta to return to the seller. I checked up with foreign post office and requested then to hold so that I can apply for reassessment.

I will make a try but I don’t know how far it will work! Even, if the seller gets it back,no problem, at least I can ask for a refund.( only thing it should never disappear in between!!!)

Meanwhile, I have received three of my purchases abroad – one mobile cover, L.E.D bulbs (AliExpress), one dashboard doll (DX.com) without any hassle as usual.
In such a case your just unlucky to have been charged such high customs duty. Do let us know on the progress of the issue.

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #24

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Yes friends you may be interested to know about the fate of those watches I ordered abroad.

I got it. Yes, I got it without paying anything towards custom duty!!![:D]

I share my experience here which may be useful to you in future.

I contacted the foreign post office. They told me to send an email to the Director of Foreign Post, Chennai, immediately with a request for holding & reassessment, marking a copy to ACPAD, Chennai. They also acknowledged on receipt.

The Asst. Commissioner of Postal Appraisal Dept (customs) is also in the same department. I sent a representative on my behalf to meet the officer in charge along with the following documents:
1. My request letter for reassessment
2. Copy of online invoice / seller web link details
3. Copy of online advertisement
4. My credit card statement in support of actual payment.

On meeting my representative, it seems that he had passed a comment that even the educated people try to fool customs by making the seller to show less value in the packet to avoid custom duty.[frustration] My man immediately told him that I am not such person and the credit card payment detail speaks the truth.

He told him back that he would examine the documents and the packet and decide. He also informed him that ‘at least he has to pay Rs.500’ instead of Rs.2500. On what account - God only knows [roll]

After two days the post man delivered the packet without charging anything extra. But the packet appeared as opened and repacked by customs.

I am Happy.

Regards
Dr.MUDHAN

Last edited:
Since this thread is encyclopaedia for online shopping, I am posting some info here.
Those who shops through AliExpress, China post mail shows some numbers for item's current Location.
Below are some codes and their meaning:

43032100-Wuhan International
43005800-Dunkou district
26603700-Qingdao, Shandong Province, China
26603300-Sea Bridge Park

I would suggest to use website mentioned below along with google translator to decode location code.
This website gives location in Chinese and numeric location code.
China Post Tracking - Track China Post Shipment Online

Dr Sir - Have a question. Sandisk Pen Drive (4 GB) is available for Rs. 90 in Shopclues (Sandisk cruzer blade 4gb pendrive) whereas, the same is sold for Rs. 200+ in all other sites. Confused to buy? However, I am not the one to rate a product based on the price. Your thoughts?

Thread Starter #27

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ Figoian

You have missed to note this. The price of the product is Rs.90 .But the shipping charge is Rs.240, so totally you have to pay Rs.310/- [evil]
Refer the area circled in black!!!

2Clip.jpg

The same site has another offer for Rs. 250+60= Rs.310/- here : Buy Sandisk Cruzer Blade 4GB Pendrive | Online Shopping Store

Please avoid this site.

Buy from local reliable shop or reputed on line shops.

You can refer our experience : http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...new-honda-city-white-albus-30.html#post382937
.​

@ Figoian

You have missed to note this. The price of the product is Rs.90 .But the shipping charge is Rs.240, so totally you have to pay Rs.310/- [evil]
Refer the area circled in black!!!

Oops! How did I miss it? Perhaps, that's exactly why I found it to be fishy and referred it to the expert! It's a cheap way to attract customers. Won't turn back to them again.

Thanks for the advice sir. That was pretty quick.​

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
it has been 38 days still i haven't received my order [sad] [sleep]

here is the status.
Screenshot - 20-05-2014 , 19_23_05.jpg
i asked the seller to increase the purchase protection. and if i open a dispute will the seller refund instantly or will he take some time ?

Thread Starter #30

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@allhyundaicars

I don’t understand, why you have increased the purchase protection time. Before the end of 60 days AE will remind you either to extend or lodge a dispute. If you have extended, you have to wait, just before it is over.
Your tracking shows it has left china and anytime that will reach you. Please be patient.

Top Bottom