Guide On Getting Your Car Registered Yourself with RTO

In Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, getting the car registered is very easy, actually when i bought my car this may. It took only 2 days to get the car registered including High security number plates fixing.
Day1: Fill the form, attach original bills of the car with it. Get it checked by authorized personnel and deposit the road tax etc at SARAL ( online system kiosks run by Government for ease of people). They will mark the same to the agency who makes the HS number plates, the agency guy gives you the exact time to come with car( they have the kiosk at Saral itself)
Day2: Get your number plates fixed and get the form filled with the number plate details. Go to that SARAL kiosk again and Voila! they will print your RC and give it to you.

Thanks to AKS_HYD I also got my car registration done myself.
2. Please carry fee amount in correct denomination and keep some spare change
-Harish.
Please share how many copies of Invoice, Form 21 & Form 22 you got from Dealer.

My dealer has given me one copy and I am worried, if I give original invoice, should not I be keeping one copy for my reference & records?

Please share how many copies of Invoice, Form 21 & Form 22 you got from Dealer.

My dealer has given me one copy and I am worried, if I give original invoice, should not I be keeping one copy for my reference & records?
Ask your dealer for a duplicate copy for your records.

IMO 3 copies are printed
1. RTO
2. Bank
3. Owner

Thanks Aks On 27th Jan I've completed my vechicle registration in lessthan 20 min.

I reached Khairatabad RTO at 12:30 pm on monday 27th and by 1:00 PM I'm at Khairatabad Junction waiting for Signal.

Just 3 steps:

Step1:
2nd floor 1st count(New registrations) handover the documents to the clerk pay the amount Rs.625, collect the verified documents and Payment receipt (5min)

Step2:
2nd floor last counter(Digital Signature). Handover documents to the clerk and when he asks just give your signature on the digital pad and collect your documents (5min)

Step3:

Take imprint of your Vechicle chasis number on the documents n show your vehicle to the RTA constable, he will cross check the chasis number and the imprint on the Papers, Hand over the documnets to Inspectior (5 to 10 min)

Vechicle registraton is done

Once again Thanks to Aks for the post and Thanks to N.Chandrababu Naidu for Making Rigistration and RTA process so simple in AP.

At 5pm visit the office on 2nd floor counter1 to collect the Authorisation letter to fix the highsecurity numberplates.
There is a new counter at parking area for HIgh security numberplates order. Handover the letter and Rs.649 (for car) collect the receipt check your name and number and revisit date for fixing. (appx., 1 week) Regarding this order and revisit date we'll get an sms so no need to worry.

Timings for number plate fixing 2pm to 6pm:

On the day of fixing it may take around 1hr (plates search takes 10min and fixing takes 10 min and remaing time is for waiting if you want [frustration] or [lol] choice is yours [:D])

On the day of fixing please carry Original RC card if not availbale carry Original Insurace and other supporing documents to avoid teething problem.
Note: You no need to pay any bribe no brokers
Total Cost : Rs 1300 and 3 visits for the same dealer has quoted Rs.2500/-

Last edited:
Did you got it done for the new car or for an old one (because of transfer from state/ transfer of name). I m planning to get my new car registered and the Delhi RTO website says that it can be done thru dealer only.

I joined this site to congratulate the initiator of this post by aks_hyd. This is great info.
Fortunately ot unfortunately, this week, I did the registration all by myself without going through this post. Well, my experience is not very different from those already shared. Only postal charge have been increased by 10/-.
At Kondapur, things were not so smooth! There are only two counters doing almost everything (Step 1 to Step 4 in the original post by aks_hyd) in a very cramped space. The agents were given first preference while issuing the receipt while I am stranded there for almost 40 mins without my name being called! The Govt person handling and "prioritising" all these kept 15/- extra from me because I could not tender 635/- exact.
The helper to the vehicle inspector was not too keen to help me getting the imprint, but finally he had to help me as we were running out of time [:)].
One additional step I performed inbetween is register for the high security reg plate which cost another 619/-, which they will fix in another 15 days. I will have to get my car there then.

One Q that I have is... even though it has been 2 days I went through the above process, I still did not receive my smart card! Is there any place where this can be tracked?

Thanks again to those who shared these info [clap].

Sharing some bad news... unfortunately, I am not being able to track my smart card! Still did not receive the same and not sure which dept has it!! Tracking with the application no says it has been shipped and it has already been 10 days since then.

I have a query. My vento Temporary Registration is in done from Uppal RTO (TS08), Hyderabad whereas I live close to Khairatabad RTO (TS09). Can I register (Permanent) my car in Khairatabad RTO? It is same state, same city but different RTOs. Please suggest

in kerala the registration process is fully BRIBED you pay the amount to the agent and each person in the echelons of the RTO gets his due and all are happy. i once had an eyeopening experience at the a RT office way back. my dad bought me a hero puck moped and said that he would call the RTO and help in the registration process ( he was a high ranking judicial officer at that time ). I was in my early twenties and pumped up by the male hormones. i said No i will go my self and do the process my self without his help. don't the ordinary folks of this country do the same way. he said okay with a smile on his lips. i went to the RT office nad presented the paper at the counter amid sneers from the agents in the que. the fellow in the counter directed me to meet the joint rto. who after going through the papers asked me to come back after buying indira vikas patra for rupees 5000/. the cost of the vehicle was only 9000 rs. dejected i was coming out when one of my dads old acquaintance saw me. he himself was an agent there. he took me back and introduced me saying that he is the son of so & so. i got a vip treatment and the registration was done in a jiffy. i became wiser about the nuances of the working of the rto.[:D][;)][:D]

That was an important education[:D][:D]. I know i can connect on this thought same is how i was when i was in my twenties but these offices teach you a lesson or two. The R.T.O i had been had a board which said no middle men are entertained , however the work never happened without those middlemen Ironic isnt it. Welcome to India

yep incarnation the driving tests & the learners tests are conducted by driving school people. i witnessed it when i took my wife for the test a few years back[lol][lol][lol]

Top Bottom