Guide: Know Your Car’s Instrument Cluster Warning Lights

Great collection and very informative thread! I knew most of them barring those specific to diesel vehicles. Now I need to know them too[;)]

Hi , great thread this helps a lot of new car owners, I have a question there is no glow plug light which comes up on a Tata safari 3.0 even though there is an icon for that in the instrument cluster which never lights up when I checked with TASS they said that 3.0 does not have a glow indication s/w installed as the heating is done as soon as we put the key in , is this true .

this can be true or they may be bluffing it. Even in ritz diesel in my case i do not see the light coming on, very few times i see it but that too for about 1/10th of a sec or so.

The manual says the light might glow for a long time in extreme cold conditions, which never happens in india,,may be in srinagar.Northern india belt ritz diesel owners may have something else to tell, lets wait for them to answer.

Hi,

I have the following question on which i need the adivce.

1) When i turn my key to ignition mode all the lights comes and stays on till the time i dont start my engine. Is it the normal operation of the car???

2) Is it OK to use Audio System when car's Engine is OFF.

3) For the safety of the Car, How much time should we wait to start the engine after turning ON to ignition.

Regards,
Nicks

Thread Starter #42

350Z

Core Team
1) When i turn my key to ignition mode all the lights comes and stays on till the time i dont start my engine. Is it the normal operation of the car???
Yes. This is normal but remember that an important signal should not remain lit after the ignition has turned on.

No issues but do not keep it switched on for a long time.

3) For the safety of the Car, How much time should we wait to start the engine after turning ON to ignition.
Minimum 15 – 30 seconds are recommended for MPFI engines. Your dealer should tell about this in a demo while delivering the car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yup. Absolutely the way it is intended to be.

When the engine is running, it keeps charging the battery via the alternator. When the engine is off, battery charging does not take place. This is why you should avoid using any electrical component that eats up a lot of battery (AC, music system, headlamps) while the engine is switched off.

Initial idling is required on a cold engine for the oil to circulate inside the engine and lubricate all it's moving parts. This is a good practice and ensures a longer life of the engine. Typically, idling any engine for 30-60 seconds is good enough.

Hope that solves all your doubts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I have the following question on which i need the adivce.

Regards,
Nicks

1. Yes it's normal.

2. If you are talking about the OEM music system and speakers , yes they can be used for 30 minutes atleast , i am not sure how long they can be used though.

3. After turning on to ignition start the engine after all the lights go OFF in the cluster especially in diesel. If petrol engine no harm in cranking immediately even after switching to ignition.

@ 350Z and Sam Dinakar You got his third question wrong. I think you referred to the engine idling time.

Top Bottom