Guide: How To Pick Soul Soothing Music While Driving

Thread Starter #1

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
All About Music While Driving...[drive]

PIONEER TS-S20 8.jpg

'I do not want to spend more money; but I want to enjoy my favorite music to its best in the existing set up,
What should I do?'

The answer is here [:D].
  • I am not talking about spending Thousands / Lacs of rupees towards adding an aftermarket HU, Amplifier, Sub-Woofer, High End Speakers or about adding high quality Copper Wires.
  • I am not going to list the names of songs that are my favorite - as it is individualized. But, I would share the best method to download and convert to a high quality Audio file; some sample link - Rhythms those will merge with your heart beat in a soft and subtle way, that can /may make your driving more enjoyable.
THIS THREAD IS TO:
  • Understand the science behind soothing music.
  • Make the existing OE setup to its best by simple, affordable & cost effective procedures.
  • Suggest the best legal, free software that can easily make playable HQ formats/files.
  • To share with & suggest our fellow forum members, some best beats.
  • To reciprocate the best from our forum member’s collections.

IT’S SIMPLE:

1. Add a good quality TWEETER in place of stock Tweeters,
  2. Create & Collect the right / favorite music in high quality audio files,
  3. Fine tune your EQ,
  4. Set optimum Fader/Balance,
  5. Do sound dampening @ all the four doors at least, if possible.
That’s all about it.

SCIENCE BEHIND IT:

Music is an unique tool that impacts your mood and takes you into different emotional shifts. Music is groundbreaking, foundational, and speaks to us. When listening to the music played, it makes a change in mood, temperament and even the way we react to each situation.

The FIVE ASPECTS that make a Music More Natural & Enjoyable!

Rhythm - They are as familiar as our own heartbeat, 2/4 or 4/4 beats are easy to Identify and Stimulate.
Harmonics- 3 or 4 chords bring a sense of Vitality and Joy.
Structure- Style of the song makes you to Anticipate what line next.
Lyrics- One makes to understand the message and Identify with Empathy.
Chorus- Simple melody that is easy to Sing & Remember.

The TWO ASPECTS that make us wait a ‘Hot Minute’ before to press play on our favorite driving tune!

Beats per Minute (BPM) - Lower BPM, like Folk, gentle Rock, and Pop, tend to put less stress on your mind. Concentration is increased, and focus is sharpened as a result. Avoid Rock music that generally has a BPM of 110-140, as higher BPM increase heart rate, and leads to Dangerous decisions.
dB - Stands for Decibel, which is the intensity of a sound or the level of loudness at which we hear a sound. It’s recommended somewhere between 60 and 85. (Below 70 dB are considered always safe for our hearing), Loud noise above 120 dB can make us deaf.

Music has a long list of genres , either consciously or subconsciously, a particular type of tune can alter your mood and your attitude in driving.
Listening to music while driving provides a sense of well-being, as the Hormone Dopamine that is released in response to a pleasurable stimulus, over a song as we like…
It’s very common to feel stressed when we are driving or stuck in heavy traffic. During a stressful situation, the sympathetic nervous system releases catecholamine (Adrenaline and Noradrenaline) in the blood, increasing cardiac demand, heart rate, and blood pressure.

MUSIC & DRIVING

The strong connection between Music and Driving is influenced by the quality of sound, location of the speakers, individual taste and of course, THE WAY WE DRIVE!
The right choice of music can bring a positive effect, prevent boredom, can soothe your mood, make you feel more relaxed, keep you awake or alert, and help you focus on your driving.
Classical Music, Mellow Songs and & Instrumental Acoustics tend to keep the brain in the right zone for driving, being familiar but not too distracting.

LET US MAKE IT SAFE:

Clip_2.jpg

• Avoid listening to music if you are a Leaner/Newbie Driver.
  • Always connect to Road @ Front / Rear, Right / Left sides and, adopt to use Music Steering control buttons safely.
  • Avoid touch Inputs and Videos
  • Avoid fiddling a Mobile for Bluetooth, Auxiliary cable plugs or a Remote while driving.
  • Avoid loud music - Music is for us and not to impress those outside the car. Loud volumes affect your mood, may affect your focus.
  • Mute when a co passenger receives a call.
  • Do not hear sleep inducing songs.
  • Don’t be monotonous, switch over to FM or Stored Songs whenever you make a break/halt on your way.
  • Avoid fiddling with folders - Keep Dedicated Pen Drive storage separately for Instruments, English, Favorite Regional Language, Devotional, Old classics and Digitalized songs etc.,
  • Our mind will always be tempted to dance to some songs while driving. So, it's best to listen to the songs at low volumes.
  • Avoid songs that can trigger distracting thoughts and emotions. The ideal music for drivers to listen should contain only a moderate level of emotional energy.
  • Stop listening IF YOU NEED TO BE. (When you require road concentration@100% , while Reversing or while crossing a funeral procession)
  • Careful while changing the lane on One Ways,and concentrate Defensive driving on Two Ways.
  • However, if you really do feel like falling asleep, a cup of coffee will do better than a tune. But, it is always best to halt and take a nap rather than simply turning up the stereo.
  • Life has no spare, Drive Safe – Enjoy your best when the road in front is fully yours!

MAKE THE EXISTING SET UP BETTER – TUNE UP TWEETER!

Tune-up the tweeters to give life to our audio system.
Tweeter is one of the essential components in-car audio system, provides satisfaction in listening to clear and detailed music.
The size & location of tweeters is a vital.

SIZE:
The stock Tweeters comes in the car are extremely small with miniscule magnet and ineffective, I have decided to replace with a good aftermarket, at least of 2-inch size, of compatible specification @ 4/8 ohms.

Stock speakers are generally installed at A Pillar / or in the door, producing the sound-stage far from the ear of the user.
High-Frequency Sounds are directional. By installing at the right direction, the sound experience can be enhanced significantly by producing the sound-stage close to the ear of the user.

MATERIALS:
Tweeters are made from various materials – The most common are Synthetic, Textiles, and Metals.
I preferred a Silk or Metal with Voice Coil as High frequency merged with voice really makes the difference.
I didn’t like piezo-electric tweeters, to me – they are ear aching!

MY CHOICE:
I preferred surface mounted Dome tweeters as it gives a wider sweet spot. I liked the new generation Bullet series, but avoided as they need a bigger hole into the A pillars.
I don’t want tweeters in a door pointed at my legs or on the dash (requires new wiring). I preferred at ear level, on the same OE spot in my car, with the same OE wiring connection replacing the OE tweeters, without fiddling with the OE electrical line. Also I don’t want to damage or make a hole on the car’s claddings.
I always ensure whatever alterations that I did must be reversible to its original structure at any time without much expenses.

My search and research began.....

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PIONEER TS-S20 TWEETER: ORIGINAL vs FAKE vs COPY

The best brands in India are Pioneer, JBL, Focal, Infinity but one must be careful enough to get these in original as market is flooded with fakes. Of course, original ones are really expensive.

I liked the time tested surface mounting product: Pioneer TS-S20 20mm High-Power Component Dome Tweeter as found suitable to mount as I wished.[:D]

PIONEER TS-S20 3.jpg

PIONEER TS-S20 4.jpg

PIONEER TS-S20 2.jpg

First I tried the one ‘CAVE’ @ Rs.710/- from Amazon India, knowingly that it is a copy product of Pioneer TSS20 as against the original priced @ Rs.4000, as I couldn’t get locally the original one.

To my surprise, ‘CAVE’ performed well and completely altered my car acoustics, after adjusting/tuning the EQ & Fader levels. I really loved them performing with my favorite beats. But, I am not sure how far they would be reliable and, I was anxious about the original one. My brother brought from US the original one and I replaced them. That gave me an experience to compare these two and I give below my observations:

About Original Pioneer TS-S20:

The box has an authenticated Hologram, Bar Code and THF/ Production number. The quality of the speaker & cross over unit, finishing, weight is excellent. Made in Vietnam (Of course, Made in Japan is available only in Japan now a day [sad])
The performance is clear, sharper than the copy product

About Copy- Pioneer TS-S20:

Fake exactly in the name of Pioneer is very well available @ Rs.600 in the local market. What I purchased a rebranded replica of Pioneer TSS20 by an Indian company called CAVE from Amazon. The reason, it is returnable within 10 days if we do not want it anymore. Actually I received an externally damaged one first, after hearing the performance I decided to use it and got replaced with a better one.

It exactly looks like the original design but of little inferior finishing, with shorter wires & crossover. Performance wise, they are good, VFM, of little more Bass & Voice.

The difference between Fake Pioneer, Rebranded copy and the original one clearly lies with cross over components. Fake pioneer has only a capacitor and, copy branded CAVE has an inductor and capacitor (but, it can’t match the original as they have pure copper high pass inductor, high power capacitor and tweeter protectors).

The Cross Over in car audio system is important to segregate the frequencies and to protect the tweeter and the other speakers as well.
It makes,
Low frequencies (100 Hz and lower) go to Subwoofers.
Mid Bass speakers get frequencies between 100 and 250 Hz.
Midrange speakers would see frequencies between 250 and 3,000 Hz.
All frequencies above 3,000 Hz are handled by the Tweeters.

PIONEER TS-S20 1.jpg

HOW I REMOVED THE STOCK, REDESIGNED & REFITTED

Please Check out the pictures below.
PIONEER TS-S20 6.jpg

PIONEER TS-S20 5.jpg

I removed the side tweeter garnish from A pillar, removed the tiny speakers by unscrewing it, detached the connection from the small socket and kept them safely.

Identified the polarities of the OE socket (+ & -), inserted an external thin wire carefully by clearly segregating them as positive & negative. (I could not get aftermarket female adopters).

Pioneer TS-S20 speaker is bigger & bold and I pasted them on the speaker garnish by using few drops of FEVIQUICK GEL (Gel is better as it takes few seconds more to bond that helps to paste the speakers on the right place), took the wires inside through the hole that I already made. Please note, I purchased extra speaker garnish OE covers from Boodmo.com for Rs.70 each as I wanted to preserve the OE ones.

Tied the extra wires properly and by using the DS Tape pasted the CROSS OVER box inside the door pad. *after detaching the door pads little on the top side by removing its two screws.

Took out the cross over input and output wires out of the door pad top, input connected to those socket wires that I made and the output wires connected to speakers wires as per polarity.

The new position gelled very well.

Played my favorite beats, adjusted the EQ and Fader level to suit my likings.

It’s sounding wonderful.[angel]

REFERENCE:
VIDEO GUIDE: PIONEER TS-S20 WHICH ORIGINAL & COPY
VIDEO GUIDE: HOW TO REMOVE STOCK TWEETER FROM CAR

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
CREATE, COLLECT & PLAY HIGHER QUALITY MUSIC FILES:

Select songs specially for listening while driving. It must be Mellifluous, Energizing and Soothing for the soul, but not rocking.

A good rule of thumb is to encode in AAC / MP3s at a minimum of 320kbps, which has 2.5 times more data than the standard 128kbps!

The Audio in a better quality video file is always better than a Compressed / Downgraded standard 128kpbs audio formats.

If you like any good video song from YouTube, download it, and extract the best quality audio from it by using legally free excellent software.

I prefer:
  • WinX YouTube Downloader – To download videos
  • AVIDEMUX - To trim the video if you want to remove the unwanted part.
  • Pazera Free Audio Extractor Portable

WinX YouTube Downloader & AVIDEMUX – How to download & use it?
Please read my thread here: CAR HEAD UNIT SOME VIDEOs & AUDIOs PLAY ISSUES SOLVED!

PAZERA Free Audio Extractor Portable
It’s simple and fast to use. Just select the videos in single or multiple files, prefer the format to AAC or MP3 @320Mpbs, leave all others to AUTO. Covert, copy in a Pen Drive and listen. That’s all!
DOWNLOAD LINK

Check out the pictures here for more help:
PIONEER TS-S20 7.jpg

BEATS THAT YOU MAY TRY:

Just check the links in your mobile phone leisurely to include in your browsing history, then go to your parked car, connect Bluetooth to HU, play the music in your mobile one by one by searching your history, mark those you really like. Then download the video in your PC, extract the audio as discussed earlier, copy to your pen drive to enjoy them later.

Wonderful Life by Black

Señorita - Daniele Vitale ft. Benedetta Caretta (Sax & Voice)

Madonna - Frozen (DJ Zhuk Remix)

Alena - Ultra Beats (Long Version)

Jamila - Oriental Reggaeton Type Beat (Instrumental)

Naira - Oriental Reggaeton Type Beat (Instrumental)

ZAZA - Oriental Reggaeton Beat x Balkan Oriental Instrumental.

Thread Starter #4

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
FINE TUNE EQ, SET OPTIMUM FADER & BALANCE:

This is a most important procedure to get best out of a car acoustics.

It depends upon the individual car ambience, quality of HU, Type of speakers and their location. Play a good quality music, select the EQ, BASS/MID/TREBLE, and set the FADER point that you Love and enjoy.

The pictures here indicate my preferences for PIONEER TS-S20 in my IGNIS car.

PIONEER TS-S20 .jpg

DOOR DAMPENING – ENJOY THE PLEASURE OF SILENCE:

You’ll appreciate the relative silence while you drive. And when you do put on music, that’s all you’ll hear.
The following links would be very useful for DIY.

@ VIDEO GUIDE
Maruti Suzuki IGNIS Car Full Damping at Home - Car Damping at home at low cost price.

@ TAI - FORUM
Detailed Guide: Door Damping and DIY
Ultra Cheap Door Damping Method

@ On INTERNET
The Pleasure of Silence: All About Vehicle Dampening (Advantages & Disadvantages)

READ MORE: RELATED TOPICS in Our TAI Forum:

A Final Note:
Think of me while enjoying your Music ...[lol]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@Dr MUDHAN AS an audiophile, I would like to know, which track you use for testing your speakers sir?
Thanks Dear.

I have not used any particular Audiophile Audio Track for testing SPECIFIC SONIC ELEMENTS.

But could feel the difference in them before and after replacing this tweeters when I played some of my favorite Instrumental / Song tracts.

I have indicated in my post HERE some of those music (Oriental Instrumental Reggae ton Type Beat) which can be thrillingly enjoyable / reflects everything we need to know about the set up's high frequency response.

Out of curiosity, I also tried these YouTube videos to test my new car audio set via Bluetooth Mode..

The Ultimate Tweeter Test

Speaker Sound Test - Bass/Treble/Pan & Vocals

I am happy about the new tweeters performance, from treble to bass/voice to the way they handle rhythm and dynamics.

Regards,
Dr MUDHAN

Very useful article as I am thinking of a simple upgrading of my car stereo system.
You said, you have pasted the tweeters on the IGNIS ‘A’ pillar tweeter mirror garnish (that’s what the part number says) using ‘Fevi kwik ‘Gel.
Is it the yellow one? Again, why can’t we use original 3M double sided tape? Please guide me.
Thank you Sir.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Is it the yellow one? Again, why can’t we use original 3M double sided tape? Please guide me.
No, the yellow one is very instant; once fixed it can’t be adjusted immediately. The red one GEL Type is little thicker, takes few more seconds to bond and allows us to adjust the position if needed.
These are Cyanoacrylate adhesive, to be carefully used. Do not put excessive drops, if it gets stuck to the fingers - Dip the affected fingers in cold or warm water & Do not force peel off; will go off later slowly.
If applied to Black colored plastics it may show some white haze due to their reaction, it happened to my speakers and I masked it with black matte finish paint touch up.
Actually I tried with original 3M DS Tape (allowed 12 hours to bond) and also by Glue Gun. It worked, but one side tweeter got detached while the car kept in the hot sun, also if someone force closing the door, they may get detached. Don’t forget to secure the wire inside by using glue gum as it greatly helps the tweeter in hold in case the adhesive fails.

ignis.jpg

Top Bottom