Guide: How To Make Your Car Battery Go On & On!

bhvm

Honoured Member
it could be possible that due to. DIY, something Is draining Battery when car is parked. if you have clamp meter, you can check for any ghost drains.

otherwise 5 years is Pretty Old Battery. better upgrade to a 40ah or higher capacity battery.

Respected Experts & Forum members,

What is the procedure to check Each Cell Voltage of the Battery - Mine is Exide DIN 65 Battery with 6 Water Filling position - So I guess it is a 6 Cell battery with no indicator or whatever.

I have a normal voltage meter - Is it possible to check voltage for each cell with that meter ?

If not please let me know what kind of Tools I require ?

bhvm

Honoured Member
it's easy to do. put one end of multimeter into negative terminal and submerge positive meter probe into nearby cell acid (be careful ). now you have the reading for one cell.

now move forward by putting both probes into cell acid. that's reading of second cell and so on.

Thanks for the reply bhvm,

Please correct me If I'm Wrong -

1. Black Probe which is negative one put to the battery's Negative Terminal and Red one to the Acid of the 1st Cell near the terminal.

2. To read the 2nd Cell - I need to do the above ?

Or

Negative Black Probe to the 1st Cell and Positive Red Probe to the 2nd Cell ?

Please advise.

bhvm

Honoured Member
hello there,
1. it's correct.

2. to read 2nd cell, your both probes will be in acid.
think that acid cell is actually a small terminal of cell.
you'll move forward step by step.

just that terminals are metal and this acid will be liquid. but work is same.

3. make sure you want to dip the meter probes in h2so4. better locate a pure copper strip to dip then only connect strip to meter probe.

2. to read 2nd cell, your both probes will be in acid.
think that acid cell is actually a small terminal of cell.
you'll move forward step by step.

just that terminals are metal and this acid will be liquid. but work is same.

3. make sure you want to dip the meter probes in h2so4. better locate a pure copper strip to dip then only connect strip to meter probe.
Thanks bhvm for the much needed info, (hopefully this time I got it)

So for the 2nd Cell Onward, I need to Dip Both Red & Black Probe in the same cell which is 2nd -> Then 3rd and so on.

Another query,

If I Connect the Probe with regular Electrical Wire which is pure copper - Is that Meter gives me accurate reading ?

One other query,

I want to buy this product to use in my car

CAR Cigarette Lighter Socket Female Male Cigarette Lighter Black 12V 48V | eBay

What kind of cable do I need to use to connect both male - female jack ?

Is there any specialize cable require for DC Current ? Or I can use any normal household cable - which are available in local electrical shop ? Please guide...

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
1. yes you got it correct.
2. a very thick copper wire should work. better get single core wire than multi strand.
3. the ad says it includes both female (socket ) and male (plug end ). hopefully there should be small wires coming out of them that you can extend using any heavy duty Wire.

4. ac & dc wires are the same. however dc current demands A thicker and purest copper wire otherwise the losses are huge. never use aluminum or speaker wire for DC.

I need your help has i'm little bit confused in battery charging.

I have a Amaron AAM-BL-400MF(35 Ah) for my Honda generator brought 3 years back but now the battery volt is dropped to 8.2V refuse to start the genset starter also 2 months back it was working fine.

Today i remove the battery and charged it for 8 hours, the volt meter shows only 11.85V and tested to start the genset and car its volt again dropped back to 8.07V.

What is the issue exactly the battery and this was rarely used only to start the honda genset and very rarely used in my RITZ petrol when primary battery is drained.

Can anyone advice what can i do in this case? whether battery is dead or any possibility to recharge it back....[confused]

Attachments

Thread Starter #114

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ kannan.cnkr

A battery guaranteed for 18 months worked for you more than 36 months has justified its value. What is more significant that this for a battery which was very sparingly used by the owner and for a battery which is not put into proper charge-recycling regularly.
Therefore cheer up, and don’t depend on it any more, go for a new battery as your present battery already lost its strength of holding the charge.

@ kannan.cnkr

A battery guaranteed for 18 months worked for you more than 36 months has justified its value. What is more significant that this for a battery which was very sparingly used by the owner and for a battery which is not put into proper charge-recycling regularly.
Therefore cheer up, and don’t depend on it any more, go for a new battery as your present battery already lost its strength of holding the charge.
Thanks for your advice sir.

I have idea to exchange this one for new 35Ah car battery for my Petrol head ritz as the car battery is OEM tata Green 32Ah which is 5years old one and still it does the job in my car so i will to exchange this one and hold tata green with me.

Can you advice which battery can i go for??? As i have fully loaded with DVD 7inch touch screen player with JBL setup with is brings down my OEM battery in just 30Mins to 11.85V's so i never us my ICE in IGN off.

Also what happen if i go for 40Ah or higher amps battery does affect my electrical system.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Kannan,
Think of 40AH as a larger petrol Tank. Larger Storage will make your car work more Miles, but will not affect Fuel consumption in any way.

Similarly, 40AH battery will not overload your electrical system but will simply Provide more Runtime.
Because AH is AMPERE-HOURS. Eg 1 Ampere till 40 Hours.
35AH will be 1 Ampere till 35 Hours. (its not that simple but you get the idea)

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Saarji, I am simply unable to understand the part in bold. Will you plaezzz==please take a minute or two out of your time to explain it to me.
Mr Vipul,
The OP asked if he could upgrade a 35AH battery in car to 40AH Battery.
Now AH of the battery is like Capacity of a bucket. Larger the Bucket, More Water you can Fill. Of course, without upgrading the Pipe (Charging System) The Larger Bucket takes more time to fill.

However, this will not Overload or destroy the Pipe (Charging System) as the Voltage remains the same (13.6~14.4v for charging).

Also, 5AH upgrade is way too mild to worry about anything.

I've known ways to upgrade 7AH UPS systems to 100AH batteries. Its huge fun!

Kannan,
Think of 40AH as a larger petrol Tank. Larger Storage will make your car work more Miles, but will not affect Fuel consumption in any way.

Similarly, 40AH battery will not overload your electrical system but will simply Provide more Runtime.
Because AH is AMPERE-HOURS. Eg 1 Ampere till 40 Hours.
35AH will be 1 Ampere till 35 Hours. (its not that simple but you get the idea)
I have searched for 40AH battery but only 43 Ah batteries are available is it ok and dealer does not recommend as the original OEM is 35Ah so its not advice able to go for 8Ah to 10 AH higher batteries

Also @ Mudhan sir can you explain the difference between the batteries available with varies warranty period as 18,24,48,60 months. Is there any different technology of the battery.

As the same 35AH battery is sold in various price with different warranty period.can you explain???

Last edited:

Top Bottom