Guide: How To Make Your Car Battery Go On & On!

Thread Starter #121

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@kannan.cnkr

WHY DO THEY HAVE DIFFERENT WARRANTY PERIODS FOR BATTERIES?​

Average battery life has become shorter as energy requirements have increased. Only 30% of batteries sold today reach the 48-month mark. In fact 80% of all battery failure is related to sulfation build-up. This build up occurs when the sulfur molecules in the electrolyte (battery acid) become so deeply discharged that they begin to coat the battery's lead plates. Before long the plates become so coated that the battery dies.

Modern batteries have better internal constructions and content additives to extend battery life.

For example, The Absorbed Glass Matt construction enhances both the discharge and recharge efficiency .Modern batteries already include additives that reduce sulfating and corrosion.
For example Calcium replaces antimony in the plates of the battery to give it some advantages including improved resistance to corrosion, no excessive gassing, less water usage and lower self-discharge. Silver is another additive used by some manufacturers, the addition of silver enables the battery to be more resilient to high temperatures.
Depends upon the internals, the life of the battery, cost and warranty period varies.

Don’t be carried away with the length of warranty. Understand the base and extended warranty period before buying. There are some better brands are in India which gives you the maximum life period @ a price like TATA GREEN Gold XT, EXIDE Matrix & AMORAN Pro.

BASE WARRANTY & EXTENDED WARRANTY

LENGTH OF WARRANTY - Your warranty begins the day you purchase the battery, and expires at the end of the warranty period.

FREE REPLACEMENT PERIODS - Your free replacement period begins the day you purchase the battery, and expires at the end of the "Free Replacement Period" When a battery is replaced during the "Free Replacement Period", the warranty does not renew, it continues on from the original date of purchase.

PRORATION- The prorated purchase price of any battery listed above, which becomes defective after the lapse of the "Free Replacement Period", and prior to the end of the warranty period, will be either credited toward the purchase of another battery, or refunded at option. The amount of the proration shall be determined by dividing the purchase price by the number of months of the warranty period, and then multiplying the result by the number of months remaining in the warranty period. (Any partial months will be rounded to the nearest whole month). When a battery is replaced after the "Free Replacement Period" and a prorated fee is paid, the warranty starts from that date as a new purchase.

Hello Mudhanji,

Today I was testing my battery to check how much juice it has before replacement. So the story started about a month or so. We wanted to go out for shopping so as usually I went first to start car but before my wife could come out of gate, raining started a lot so she stayed at home for 30min and I was enjoying music(amp+basstube) and suddenly everything stopped and I couldnt start car. Then I realized well battery died as cracking wasnt strong enough to start car. So I called up road side assistance and they came up to jump start my car. (That guy told me lots of calls from customer today due for same reason battery issue)

I asked to check my battery health in recent service, got call from SA saying it needs to be changed. So before changing I thought I will test how much it shows using OBD-II scanner (on my mobile using torque).

Before start/ACC mode - 12.9v
After start/engine running - 14.5v (without other accessories running)
After start/engine running with all accessories 12.9 - 14.4v (started head lights, DRL, HU Unit, Amp, Basstube, doom light etc)

I do feel battery doesnt has that much cracking power which it use to have when new. Also my car running is not that much means in weekend 10km or in month 200km max. Now question is above readings are ok? average? Should I change battery? Should I wait for few more months?

As my upcoming trip to Mumbai(from Delhi) is near I am in dilemma should I change or it will be fine in after running 3500km? Also winter season is coming so I m not sure this battery will start car.

If I have to change battery I would surely go for Amaron AAM-PR-00050B20L(same battery you installed in Albus) and will buy from BatteryBhai.com - India's No. 1 Online Car/Inverter Battery Store they are selling for Rs. 3459/-

Hello @kuwaronline

Can I know how old is your car is and how much is the odometer?

I think you have taken voltage right after turning off the engine so its on higher slide.

Its better to take voltage measurement using voltmeter connected directly to battery and before even putting car keys because there will be least power used by car electronic system. Measurement should be taken in the morning when the car is idle for whole night. Its even better if you unplug the battery and measure the voltage so it will be 100% accurate.

Now that SA has said battery has to be changed, did he gave you battery testing report slip?

Faulty batteries usually be in good voltage ratings but fail when engine is cranked. They drop below limit and you will notice lack of cranking power. To test this connect voltmeter to battery and crank the engine. If the voltage drops below 9.6 then its time to change the battery.

Whatsoever it be, if you have doubt about the battery and need peace of mind, its better to buy a new one. That's what I did when my battery gave trouble. I could get it working but still don't want to take risk so bought a new battery. [:)]

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Hi CRACING,

My car is almost 3 years old now. Odo is nearly 20k.

I dont have volt meter but I will get it checked by battery shop soon. SA didnt showed or gave me slip. My car was idle for atleast 4-5 days before taking these results. But I will check again after few days as you suggested.When I cracked it didnt go below 12v I quite sure but I will check again. If it goes below I will surely replace if not then I will wait for few more days as winter already arrived in Delhi NCR. May be in mid Nov I will see result as winter is quite harsh here. Which battery you have installed?

Thanks for quick reply!

Hi CRACING,

My car is almost 3 years old now. Odo is nearly 20k.

I dont have volt meter but I will get it checked by battery shop soon. SA didnt showed or gave me slip. My car was idle for atleast 4-5 days before taking these results. But I will check again after few days as you suggested.When I cracked it didnt go below 12v I quite sure but I will check again. If it goes below I will surely replace if not then I will wait for few more days as winter already arrived in Delhi NCR. May be in mid Nov I will see result as winter is quite harsh here. Which battery you have installed?

Thanks for quick reply!
OK

My new battery starts from 12.5 +/- 1v when checked with voltmeter and through OBD, its 1-2v less due to some load.

Here is the chart of Battery Voltage and State of Charge:

12.7v .............. 100%
12.6v ............... 90%
12.5v ............... 80%
12.4v ............... 70%
12.2v ............... 60%
12.1v ............... 50%
12.0v ............... 40%
11.8v ............... 30%
11.6v ............... 20%
11.5v ............... 10%

*Open-Circuit.

Source: Trojan Battery Company

Other sources mention slightly different state of charge (SOC) for voltages below 12 but you get an approximate idea.

My new battery is Exide Mileage 35ah and had installed 6 months ago. Bought for Rs. 3850 in exchange of old battery (Rs. 500). Old battery was Amaron which severed for 5 and half years and 48k KMs.

Last edited:
Dear All,
I would like to request help from experts for finding one new battery for my Sonata Gold
I got one quotation from local dealer for Amaron 90D 23L – Rs 5000/-
Is it good rate? The battery is perfect for Sonata?

Thread Starter #128

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@Kristy

Please check up JUST DIAL page,

Buy Latest Amco|~|Tata Green|~|ACDelco|~|Exide|~|Okaya|~|SF Sonic|~|Amaron automobile batteries – View Amco|~|Tata Green|~|ACDelco|~|Exide|~|Okaya|~|SF Sonic|~|Amaron automobile batteries Prices, Reviews Online in Mumbai, India – JustDial Online

there would be lot of dealers near to your home for home delivery at very competitive price. Also counter check

BatteryBhai.com - India's No. 1 Online Car/Inverter Battery Store price.

I am sure you will get the best price.
All the best
Regards
Dr Mu Dhanasekaran

ANHC.jpg

anhc 2.jpg

Last edited:
In recent service of my car (Honda Brio) I asked technician to check battery status and learned that it has voltage of 12.3V on full load. So is battery in good condition or will need replacement very soon ? Car is 3 years old.

Thank you Cracing,

I did checked once again and yes my battery voltage drops to 8.9v while crancking. So yes my plan is to change is next month before my long trip to Mumbai.

I m getting Amaron with 60 month warranty @3449/- with exchange of old battery and that guy will come at home to install.

Thanks Again!!!
Small correction, I got Amaron Pro battery for 3200/- (Not 3449/-). That too home delivery and installation. (Gurgaon)

Dear Dr Mudhan,
Read your post about batteries and was very impressed, probably the most informative post I have read on the topic.
I still have a question in my mind, my two cars were both fitted with Amaron Flo batteries recently which are touted as zero maintenance batteries and I am still wondering if I should ever check electrolyte levels at regular intervals or not. Or whether I should check electrolyte levels only if I see a problem with the battery. My last battery, an Amaron pro 74Ah lasted a good 6.5 years in my dzire vdi without ever checking electrolyte levels or topping it. Infact, I didn't know I was suppose to check electrolyte levels in zero maintenance batteries.

Thread Starter #133

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ vikrant
Thanks.

It depends upon the type of battery, whether low or real maintenance free.[confused]

General lead acid batteries (WET CELL / FLOODED type ) with vent holes today require in the form of checking the electrolyte level and specific gravity periodically, if needed maintenance.
That is why they are provided with Battery Status Indicator / Magic Eye!
Remember - Prevention is better than cure.
The electrolyte, which is a solution of acid and water, should always cover the lead plates in each cell, since exposing the plates to the air can cause issues over time. If the specific gravity is low across all the cells, it indicates that the battery is in need of a charge, or may be on its way out, while a low specific gravity in just one cell indicates that the battery has internal problems.
battery SS.jpg

The most common battery tech used today is heavy LEAD ACID BASED or lighter LITHIUM ION BASED.

LEAD-ACID BATTERY TECHNOLOGIES​
There are three common lead-acid battery technologies: 1. Wet Cell /Flooded, 2. Gel, and 3. AGM.

WET CELL / FLOODED TYPE:
A low maintenance type has removable plugs on the top that can be removed so that the acid level can be checked and topped up if needed. The wet cell comes in two styles; serviceable and low maintenance type. Both are filled with electrolyte and are basically the same.

EXAMPLE: Our old Ambassador car batteries are serviceable, and todays new generation cars have very low maintenance type which are of advanced chemistry.
Wet/Flooded batteries have the advantage of being significantly less expensive, but they require adequate ventilation, maintenance, and also have the potential liability of tipping or spilling.

GEL CELL TYPE:
A valve-regulated lead-acid battery (VRLA battery) sometimes called sealed lead-acid (SLA), gel cell, or Maintenance Free Battery.
Gel cells are sealed and cannot be re-filled with electrolyte, controlling the rate of charge is very important.
A GEL battery uses a silica (sand) to turn the sulphuric acid into a jelly like substance. This jelly is then used as the electrolyte. Great care must be taken with GEL batteries not to expose them to high amperage situations.

EXAMPLE: Amaron Beta AP-BTX5 Battery for Tvs (VRLA battery)

ABSORBED GLASS MAT TYPE:
AGM batteries are the latest step in the evolution of lead-acid batteries& spill proof. Instead of using a gel, an AGM uses a fiberglass like separator to hold the electrolyte in place. AGM can do anything a Gel-cell can, only better. However, since they are also sealed, charging has to be controlled carefully or they too can be ruined in short order.

EXAMPLE: Exide Xtreme FXR0-12XR5L-B Battery for Tvs Scooty
AGM.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #134

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
The example for ABSORBED GLASS MAT TYPE is to be corrected. Note this example;even this battery has min/max level indicator , could be a hybrid one & May need monitoring.

123.jpg

I have a query on battery life.

Does the battery live depend on the kilometres driven by the vehicle.

Lets say a vehicle drives for 50k km in 3 years. Will the life of the battery on this car be shorter compared to a vehicle with lower odometer reading for the same period.
Assumption: No running of electricals with engine switched off during this period or any actions that can reduce the life of the battery. Just a large amount of kilometres done.

Last edited:

Top Bottom