Guide: How To Drive and Maintain a Diesel Car?

After driving RWD diesel powered engine, driving FWD diesel engine takes it's own time to adjust, I'm finding difficult to release the clutch smoothly. Need suggestions as how to release the clutch.

Sir whether reviving diesel engine at high rpm cause high maintenance and lower the engine life????
Nothing of that sort will cause diesel engine to get it's life lowered.
Also there's no need to rev a diesel engine on high rpms when they have higher torque.

Hello Members. I need expert advise from the members herein as I am in a bit of confusion. I have Innova car purchased in August 2015. I was told by one of the person that, till completing 10k kms of my new car, I should drive it below 3k RPM that comes to approximately 100-110kmph. After clicking 10k kms of my car I can drive it above 3K RPM as that, will be enhancing life of my engine and will lead to got output. I request the members to kindly share your technical advise on the said issue. For information, I have clicked 6700 kms and second servicing of my car is done in December 2015.

Hello Members. I need expert advise from the members herein as I am in a bit of confusion. I have Innova car purchased in August 2015. I was told by one of the person that, till completing 10k kms of my new car, I should drive it below 3k RPM that comes to approximately 100-110kmph. After clicking 10k kms of my car I can drive it above 3K RPM as that, will be enhancing life of my engine and will lead to got output. I request the members to kindly share your technical advise on the said issue. For information, I have clicked 6700 kms and second servicing of my car is done in December 2015.
For you understanding RPM (revolutions per minute) has to be lesser for a initial run in of 1K to max 3K kms as advised, because its initial run in or break-in

Following this you can rev your engine as much as needed, please be aware that these engine are tested by redlining the engine for minutes together using various random rpm's during the R&D and road tests

Yes though initially for a 1K kms its necessary to be cautious it doesn't warrant anything more than that, i have driven my vehicle at more than 3000 RPM after 2.5K Kms in a sensible way and it didn't impact the engine, again saying as long as its a sensible acceleration and not a literal burn out session you are looking out at [;)] its totally fine

Gone are the days where engine needs to be preset and run until the engine parts become frugal engine.

Newer generation cars come with Pre-Set engines where it only needs timely service intervals and serviced regularly.

Thankyou Vishwas and Swift&furious. Today only I drove 300kms under 3k RPM on the expressway. Always felt restricted because of this mindset (under 3k RPM till 10K) when other cars just zoomed ahead of me and I still waiting to click 10k kms for going above 3k RPM mark. As per your suggestion and experience going over 3k RPM and keeping it below the redline wont cause any trouble or problem to the engine. Thanks alot. Looking forward to experience the revs above 3k RPM this sunday.

Hello Members. So I did Pune-Ahmednagar-Mumbai(Chembur) on Sunday. I started from Pune at 12pm and after passing through all the busy and congested traffic till Wagholi and then reached Ahmednagar at 2.15pm. The roads till Ahmednagar were such that, I was driving at 100-105kmph. I again started from Ahmednagar at 3pm and reached Mumbai Pune Expresway (Urse Toll Gate) at 6pm. I completed 532 kms in two days. After staying overnight at Mumbai, I started from Chembur at 9am and reached Pune at 11am with a 15mins halt. I tried to go above 3k RPM, my Innova smoothly went till 110-115kmph but while taking it at 120+ i felt that it is not going above 120+ and noise from under the car is coming as if i am accelerating at lower gear. It was not a sudden acceleration but a proper cruising. Can anybody please advise about the situation. Also please explain the concept of idling?

Innova behaves like that after 120kmph, as told by taxi drivers.
Idling- Keeping the engine on in neutral position,
You have to do this for 2-5 minutes before moving a diesel vehicle,when the engine is cold.
After driving the vehicle for some hours you should not shut down immediately, you have to idle for 2-3 mins before switching off, it will save the life of turbo.

Thankyou Chevy! Recently in Dec 2015 I was coming from Belgaum to Pune. The roads from Belgaum till Satara were beautiful. I was hitting a constant speed of 100-105 kmph for almost 10-20 kms or even more than that at a stretch. Does driving at a constant speed as mentioned above is harmful? Just a question came in my mind which if answered can make me feel relaxed.

Most modern vehicles can do such things easily. A properly serviced car will easily handle these things.Driving with low engine oil may affect engine. As long as the temperature gauge doesnt reach high one can drive, but it is advised to give rest to both the driver and engine atleast 4-5 hrs.
I drive my polo diesel at 90kmph for couple of hours then i park on the side of the road with engine running when i need to piss, then again after 5 minutes the car is back on the road.

But be sure not to get locked out/get vehicle stolen when parking vehicle like this.

Last edited:
Synthetic oil does nothing special to the engine, except for burning a bigger hole in your pocket. Synthetic oil maintains its properties for a longer time than mineral oil in extreme high temperature conditions. If you are a regular driver, you can safely go for mineral oil. Save your money. DOnt miss out any service. Change oil as per manual.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Members. So I did Pune-Ahmednagar-Mumbai(Chembur) on Sunday. I started from Pune at 12pm and after passing through all the busy and congested traffic till Wagholi and then reached Ahmednagar at 2.15pm. The roads till Ahmednagar were such that, I was driving at 100-105kmph. I again started from Ahmednagar at 3pm and reached Mumbai Pune Expresway (Urse Toll Gate) at 6pm. I completed 532 kms in two days. After staying overnight at Mumbai, I started from Chembur at 9am and reached Pune at 11am with a 15mins halt. I tried to go above 3k RPM, my Innova smoothly went till 110-115kmph but while taking it at 120+ i felt that it is not going above 120+ and noise from under the car is coming as if i am accelerating at lower gear. It was not a sudden acceleration but a proper cruising. Can anybody please advise about the situation. Also please explain the concept of idling?
120 KMPH is recomended safe speeds for Current gen Innova. Its top speed is only 130~150KMPH max. You are really stressing the engine going beyond 120.

L
120 KMPH is recomended safe speeds for Current gen Innova. Its top speed is only 130~150KMPH max. You are really stressing the engine going beyond 120.

Its summer time so also consider about stressing the tires

Use nytrogen or else make sure tire air presure is with in recomended limits not over or under preasure
Find the tyres recomended speed max speed and drive with in the recomended speed limit

Vary speed, and take rest atleast 4 or 5 hours once

Last edited:
is less use of Diesel car can affect engine life ?

Hi All

I have an Ertiga VDi with 24k in ODO & from last 2 months i rarely manage to drive it as i am going office in office cab. Most of time i will drive it in weekends for 5-10 km only. Now one of my friend told me that less use of Diesel cars will affect engine life [roll] i am confused in this ... is really less use of diesel cars will affect engine life ?

my Ertiga again come in daily use only after 3-4 months. Please provide your experience with Diesel engines.

Re: is less use of Diesel car can affect engine life ?

Hi All

I have an Ertiga VDi with 24k in ODO & from last 2 months i rarely manage to drive it as i am going office in office cab. Most of time i will drive it in weekends for 5-10 km only. Now one of my friend told me that less use of Diesel cars will affect engine life [roll] i am confused in this ... is really less use of diesel cars will affect engine life ?

my Ertiga again come in daily use only after 3-4 months. Please provide your experience with Diesel engines.
I kept my diesel car idle for almost a year as I had to leave the city. I came back and used the car for another 3 years with no issues. Does this mean, nothing is going to happen to the powertrain when idle? I dont know. But my scenario is just one one data point that goes against this theory

Last edited:

Top Bottom