Guide: How To Drive and Maintain a Diesel Car?

1. Gear shifting should be done between 2000-2200RPM
Not necessarily. For a car with the turbo spooling at 1600rpm, you can shift at 1800 itself and still remain in the power band. You can shift even at 3000rpm, if you want to pick up speed without burning too much diesel.

2. Observe 30Seconds to 1 Minute of idle time before and after a run
You don't have to idle for more than a few seconds BEFORE running. It's enough if you avoid hard acceleration before the engine reaches the optimum temperature, which would take a couple of minutes/kilometres

The idea behind idling before shutting down the engine is to ensure the turbo-charger is cooled sufficiently, and the oil that works as the coolant doesn't coke when it stops circulating.

For Naturally Aspirated (non turbo) diesels, this idling is not needed.

What has to be avoided is, revving the hell out of the engine before turning it off - a common practice with old Amby drivers.

You will get better FE in first case. Engine remains healthy in both the cases.
You're are driving sedately @ 50 kmph @ 1000-1200 rpm on 5th gear. But if you need power, this is the time to down shift. If we try to speed up in same gear, we will strain the engine, and engine will consume more fuel to gradually reach the demand.
Agreed. But isn't being on power band (Turbo Zone) is more efficient than otherwise? That's where my confusion is...

Yes, to gain more power or speed up, need to downshift. Else, it will either take it's own sweet time to reach the desired speed or flooring will harm the engine.

Not necessarily. For a car with the turbo spooling at 1600rpm, you can shift at 1800 itself and still remain in the power band. You can shift even at 3000rpm, if you want to pick up speed without burning too much diesel.

You don't have to idle for more than a few seconds BEFORE running. It's enough if you avoid hard acceleration before the engine reaches the optimum temperature, which would take a couple of minutes/kilometres

The idea behind idling before shutting down the engine is to ensure the turbo-charger is cooled sufficiently, and the oil that works as the coolant doesn't coke when it stops circulating.

For Naturally Aspirated (non turbo) diesels, this idling is not needed.

What has to be avoided is, revving the hell out of the engine before turning it off - a common practice with old Amby drivers.
Thank you Nimrod and all the TAI experts who have contributed in this thread.

The Tata Sumo Gold has a turbocharged engine (for both the CR4 & SPTC variants). The user manual states - "If your vehicle has a turbocharged engine, keep engine at idling speed for atleast a minute after starting and also before stopping it, to protect the turbocharger against damage due to oil starvation." I would tend to follow the manufacturer's instructions closely.

I know clutch driving is not good for the vehicle. But in traffic how can we manage without clutch??please advice fellowmembers.. I stay in bangalore and daily commute is around 30 Km

Last edited by a moderator:
I know clutch driving is not good for the vehicle. But in traffic how can we manage without clutch??please advice fellowmembers.. I stay in bangalore and daily commute is around 30 Km
Which car do you drive.

If your car has good torque/pulling power, please put the car into 1st gear and release the clutch. Do not press accelerator since car will move on its own.

Also in traffic signals and bumper to bumper traffic release clutch immediately while stopping (put car in neutral) , use brake/hand brake instead.

Thank Anshuman.. Now m using a diesel ecosport..I heard people has to change their clutch plate much earlier than expected if driving the clutch
To survive in Bangalore Traffic, keep the car in second gear and move slowly, when you find the traffic stops moving for a while say about more than 1 minute, keep the car in neutral position and relax, this is onw way which i have found to drive in B2B traffic.

i had some difficulty in driving a diesel car recently after driving a petrol car for some time.

The cars in question was a Fluidic Verna Diesel and Honda City/VW Polo Petrol.

In the City and Polo, I normally have to downshift to 1st gear and crawl in traffic. In the Verna, I forgot about diesel torque and followed same technique and the car just jumped forward and I almost rear ended somebody. It happened twice or thrice then I realized just to keep in second gear only in Verna.

@Type-R: The issue is not with the car, diesels are pathetic in N/A zone or say while crawling. You need to be light on accelerator while crawling(irrespective of what fuel the car runs on), that's the key to the issue you mentioned. Rest let me tell you, use heavy foot and petrols can get even more dangerous while crawling.

raj_5004 said:
2) Do not unnecessarily rev a diesel engine till 4-5k rpm. There is no point. It will simply make noise without any acceleration. You are also burning precious fuel. Work on the enormous torque instead. Shift up at 3k rpm, shift down if you go till 1.5k rpm. Petrol car drivers will be amazed at the response because, by doing this, you are always in the turbo range.

3) At the same time, do not always drive below 2000 rpm, even though that is possible (torque!).
Are you sure about these tips? I have a Fluidic Verna and always upshift at about 2,000 rpm, as the car itself suggests, and it’s a relaxed and silent drive this way. I tried your method and the engine starts making a lot of noise after 2,000 rpm and is pretty much screaming at 3,000. Of course, it’s a lot more fun to drive this way, but is it practical? And isn’t the fuel economy going to be much worse?

@aryayush IMO what you are doing is right.its a good practise to upshift when your are in the range of 2000-2500 rpm at 3000 rpm there might be a marginal drop in FE. however its fun to drive at higher RPM i agree [:D]

If your vehicle's turbo starts at 2000 rpm, the above driving style will never use the turbo. It is not very efficient nor wise. But I dont think it will hurt the turbo.
Yes, it spools up fully at 2100 RPM. I've read on another forum that not using the full boost for prolonged times hurts the turbo seals.
During city runs, I never up shift above 1900 RPMs.

Top Bottom