Guidance Requested For Buying a Pre-owned Jeep

Thread Starter #1
Hi. The 'bug' of owning a (pre owned) Jeep has got to me ---- and I am exploring the market for a vehicle that I can buy (in good running condition)

I would really appreciate advice from people who have owned a jeep on picking up a good vehicle (things to check for, preferred models, possibly places I can scout for it...)

Thanks,

"Aloha"

350Z

Core Team
Can you please shed some light about your budget? And do you plan to perform some serious off-roading with the Jeep?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi. The 'bug' of owning a (pre owned) Jeep has got to me ---- and I am exploring the market for a vehicle that I can buy (in good running condition)

I would really appreciate advice from people who have owned a jeep on picking up a good vehicle (things to check for, preferred models, possibly places I can scout for it...)

Thanks,

"Aloha"
Can you buy new thar ?

Thread Starter #5
@ Surfer
Thanks a lot for all the links ... going through them. quite informative and hopefully will increase my awareness to help with a proper purchase.

@ 350Z
Hi. I have a budget of 5 lakhs in mind for a good vehicle. I am in bangalore and the opportunities to do major off roading around here is something i want to explore with others more experienced. The idea (of going to the hills of Ooty, Coorg) in a Jeep is quite a thrilling one, and therefore instead of going for a second hand sedan or a hatchback - i am exploring picking up a Jeep. thanks.

@shark fin
I checked out the Thar in Bangalore. Its quite expensive and with the add ons required, was approaching the 8 - 9 lakhs mark on road here. Beyond my budget.

@aloha: Check with your contacts who are familiar with Army Jeeps. There will be regular auction but they are not made public most of the time. Then you need to restore. Try some forums like jeepthrills to find more info on off-roading. Ofcourse, TAI also has lots to offer.

There are some folks in Bangy who can get you the jeep to your taste. Lots of orders are made from BLR to Hyderabad gallis to build those refurbished jeeps with bling looks. If your taste is to just show-off with the jeep, you will get it easily.

But, if you are looking for real off-roading, good differentials, LSDs, CJ3B,MM540, Classic and mountain goat Gypsy; you need time and luck. Be slow on this, as there are lot of jeeps around in used showrooms without proper docs. Please check the papers and its authenticity.

BTW, before that please attend 1 or 2 OTRs and then see if it suits your ambition.
Maintaining the jeep is pain for some and passion as well. So, take time and judge.
Its an expensive hobby though.

Did you check ordering Gypsy? I hear its getting a facelift called Jimny. Not sure when.

Thread Starter #7
@ white-rhino

As always - thank you very much for your detailed advice. I will explore the Army auctions and am going with a friend for a 'off road' experience (he owns a jeep and travels out often with it). That will help in getting my priorities clear.

Your input on paperwork is a wise one - there is a potential of getting carried away with a vehicle and buying it & then regretting the decision later .

350Z

Core Team
Did you check ordering Gypsy? I hear its getting a facelift called Jimny. Not sure when.
No official launch date is out about Jimny (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...i-s-new-ace-card-jimny-hit-indian-shores.html). And I’m not sure whether it will offer as much fun as of owning a Gypsy. A Brand New Maruti Gypy will cost approx. Rs.6.5 Lakhs (On road, Bangalore). But keep checking around in the used car market and classifieds if there’s any almost new or well maintained example up for sale.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #9
Thanks again 350Z. The JIMNY looks really smart. I read a number of other compact SUVs are about to hit the India over the next 12 - 16 months, they would though be likely in the 12+ bracket. There is a Willys advertised for sale by its owner but again - i dont think the paperwork would have been completed. I dont know if Force motors has started selling its SUV they launched a few weeks back should check that out as well.

Try hunting for Mahindra MM540 or classic they are going well in Bangalore.Find the other sites for selling sites.Or if you dont mind on buying a petrol one.Find a Gypsy with MPFI engine where you could get that round 2-3 lakhs depending on the condition(make sure that the 4WD machine works).Fix a power steering,and get the things done according to your taste.Try some in the True value outlets, you maybe lucky to get one from Maruti itself where it adds some warranty.

Thread Starter #12
@Vishwas
Thanks a lot for advicing on the models. I will add the MM540 & Classic to the list of Jeeps i am asking dealers for the other one is the WILLYS which is a rarity in the market (or overpriced for the most part). I have time (not in a rush) so will continue exploring and before a final purchase will spend some time behind the wheel of a friend's vehicle.

Top Bottom