Growing Auto Industry & Infrastructure in India

Thread Starter #1
We all know that India is one of the fastest growing and profitable automobile market in the world. In fact, it had surprised some of the auto giants and forced to re-think. Indians do have plenty of options to pick, right from TATA Nano. This list is going to explode in the coming days. However, such a tremendous growth leaves some questions behind, which if not answered now, will be the bottleneck for tomorrow.

I am really wondering whether our roads and infrastructure is good enough to accommodate the growth rate?, even for the next five years. All our major cities are not facing heavy traffic and blocks every day. Is there any move from govt. with respect to this? I am not saying that there is nothing happening. But I can't see any well organised, future oriented infrastructure plan implemented. The Eleventh 5-year plan (2007-2012) says only one line on this:

Ensure all-weather road connection to all habitation with population 1000 and above (500 in hilly and tribal areas) by 2009, and ensure coverage of all significant habitation by 2015
So we still don't have any upgrade plans in place. Look at Kerala as an example. The whole country says 60 meters is the minimum for a national highway. But due to the exceptional geographical conditions, Kerala politicians were first successful to get a special permission to reduce this to 45 meters and now they are trying hard to reach at 30 meters! Another example is Bangalore city where the RTO tax peaks in the entire country. There are hell lot of fly-overs and ring roads. Despite all these, you are stuck up in traffic! Why? The only reason is poor planning and exploding number of vehicles (the construction is fast and good, though). No offense meant here and I just pointed out these states as I personally experienced these.

Other interesting point is all are screaming about Co2 and NOx emissions. We have implemented Bharath IV and other versions are soon coming. But, What are the moves from Govt. to enrich the public transportation? If the public transportation is good enough, then that will reduce the traffic to some extend.

I was just mulling over these things and thought of following points:

1. Strengthen public transportation system.
  2. Increase the road tax in all major cities (probably double it) to force people not to use cars / bikes in the cities.
  3. Charge entry tax to the cities for all vehicles registered outside the major cities.
  4. Support and encourage use of cycles. I think Bangalore city is witnessing this nowadays. But we need separate cycle tracks for this.
  5. Plan infrastructure development with a focus for at least 20 years

I am sure there can be more suggestions which can save our tomorrows.

Had thought about this sometime back, but then finally reached to a conclusion - Govt gives a banana to our thinking .[lol]

They should have planned the city roads since the beginning. Now the thing is there are 100's of people living next to these roads. How the hell are they going to widen the roads ?

Then they come up with flyovers and stuff.Then double flyovers.The quality of these flyovers is another story, we see it being repaired with in month of inauguration.[frustration]

I personally think they really should concentrate more on the Public Transport.

Like if i have a AC bus which will pick me up right in front of my house (we have a bust stop right outside) & stops near my college or say even at a walking distance of 5 mins , i would travel by it almost daily.

But looking at the current service , i have to change 2 buses, wait for them , i have no seat to sit on, in rainy season the bus is leaking from every side.

They really should improve the public transport system.

Even Public doesn't like to go through all the traffic,pollution stress when going to work,etc. They would happily use the Public Transport if its upto the mark.

[cheers]

350Z

Core Team
Excellent topic Shynish, The very same point was aroused in my mind as well when the talks of Rs.1 Lakh car - Nano’s launch were going on. The number of cars on our roads is increasing rapidly and Govt. seems to be sitting idle, Moreover the managing techniques are almost terrible. Initially, flyovers were made to reduce traffic but now what? You’ll find hours of long traffic jams on most of them. Also, Because of Metro rail construction in New Delhi as well as due to 2010 Common Wealth games; the situation has gone even horrific. However, If we take a look the locations which have been improved, such as Delhi – 1 Area, You wont feel it is India, Because there’s no rash driving and greenery as well as cleanliness all around. Also, about what Neil asked, The public bus stands are actually top-class and buses are fully air conditioned, though to be honest I’ve always preferred using personal transport for certain reasons. So, over-all I’d say Delhi is improving quite a lot when it comes to public transport but regarding traffic? No one has answer. On the other hand, If I consider only traffic conditions, Then they are far more better in Chandigarh than in any other Indian city, I’ve seen yet. Driving out on Chandigarh roads is a breeze and you can actually maintain a constant speed BUT surprisingly, there is much lesser availability of public transport (Read Buses), So I guess this is the main reason. So from what it seems, in either of the cases (Delhi & Chandigarh) we need to compromise one but I’m pretty sure there will be some way to maintain balance between both.

Shynish M said:
# Increase the road tax in all major cities (probably double it) to force people not to use cars / bikes in the cities.
Doesn't sounds the best idea because there are some locations where only your private transport can work and it is not always possible to rely on public transport. However, FYI about 7% - 8% Road Tax has been already increased for the cars above Rs.7+ Lakhs.

Shynish M said:
# Support and encourage use of cycles. I think Bangalore city is witnessing this nowadays. But we need separate cycle tracks for this.
Instead of ol' time cycles, how about encouraging carmakers to launch alternative fuel cars, Like Hybrids. And Delhi govt. is already offering some concession on purchase of Reva.

Drive Safe,
350Z

350Z

Core Team
Come on, This is an interesting thread. Let's have some active participation!

Drive Safe,
350Z

shynish i full support you :agree: and also agree with 350z. delhi has come long way and improved a lot if you look back in past and compare. and what u said about road infrastructure i feel that will improve side by side because these increasing motor vehicles will force govt. to do so.

But till now they have not taken any steps to do so! Flyovers seems to ease out traffic for now but its only temporary , within few years again the traffic is going to increase!

350Z

Core Team
Today, Even during a hot summer noon there was a lot of rush and traffic jams on roads. Instead of increasing road tax to another level – How about applying the policy which is followed in Japan, where you need to show a proper parking space before buying a car? It is called “Parking Space Certificate” (shako shoumei).

Drive Safe,
350Z

This is already into plan & many major cities are trying to implement it.

But car major's will face heat & they are bribing govt for sometime not to implement this.

Once Mega Builders come up with mutlistorey parking concepts, govt will implement this :-)

350Z

Core Team
That would be definitely great leap towards improvement and Multi-storey parking lots are necessary with the increasing traffic, At least in popular public areas and markets. The Malls have already adopted this technique which is proving to be successful.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #10
Yes, sort of 'Parking Certificate' will be a very good idea. But I think, we should focus more on the traffic on the road. For example, how much we can improve the infrastructure in a city like Mumbai? Probably we can build some fly-overs. However, with this growing number of car sales (new and used) will these developments will be adequate? IMO, the only solution to reduce the traffic in the city is to try to restrict the entry! I am talking about an entry pass to the city for vehicles other than public transportation. But to do this, govt. should make sure that public transportation with in the city is excellent and frequent. Those who really want to use cars in the city should pay a premium! The cost involved in implementing better infrastructure like new fly-overs, traffic system, parking fecilities etc.. can be balanced to some extent by a premium tax on purchase and registration in the city + entry tax to the city. This is a proven successful method across Europe. What you guys say ?

Build as many fly overs you want but there will always be traffic on them too! i think what is needed to improve primary is traffic management which is kinda NIL in India.

But a lot of flyovers built in Chennai and being built currently are easing traffic movements in high traffic areas. But i agree building flyovers are just temporary and the traffic flow keeps increasing every year!

Top Bottom