Grooves For Engines

Friends here is an update.

I was on a vacation for 4 days !! Drove my car for almost 1.5 k kms. [:)]

Almost 400 kms where in the ghat section, lots of curves. [evil]

Very good response from the car, It could climb all the curves (medium ones) in 4th gear in 40kms too some time I had to shift down to 3 rd.

0-80 pickup is improved but again I feel there is a lag between 80-110, after that I also reached 140 kmph with 3 ppl onboard and the luggage my sub etc.

The throttle is now very responsive. Just a feather touch on the accelerator pedal the car is cruising in 80-85 kms..

Final one, I drove it continuously for 350-400 kms (spirited driving) yes its me, [evil] cruising all the way above 100 - 120. Got a great mileage of 21.1 kmpl.

While returning back its my dad's turn (sedate drive) not at all crossing 80 kmph..
Mileage achieved 23.4 kmpl..

Before my car use to give 18-19 kmpl !!

(These figures are with out using A/C)

Here are some detailed pic's and info of the process before grooves.

Need to remove the head cap, valves, cam shaft, timing belt, pulleys, timing belt tension-er, throttle body, etc.

I have even ported the intake manifold, I have used a normal drill gun using a grinding bit to smooth-en the surface.

I have used 3m's carb cleaner to clean all the carbon deposits in the intake manifold and the engine head, later I started to groove using a triangle file, I have made 3 grooves per cylinder 3 mm deep.

After this again I had to wash all the things again due to the aluminum powder which came from filing the grooves.

After doing all these it is mandatory to change the head gasket. I had bought a gasket kit kit which contains all the gaskets, I have change all the gaskets, head gasket, intake manifold gasket, thermostat valve gasket, throttle body gasket, head cover gasket.

Need to clean the spark plugs, etc.
Finally flushed the engine oil and coolant. Then filled it up by Shell Helix Fully synthetic oil and Castrol coolant.

Total cost - 2000 rs incl of all gaskets, coolant and oil extra (as I had to change the oil)

Attachments

Some more pic's after cleaning the engine head..

Camshaft
Cam Shaft.jpg

After Cleaning, all the carbon deposits were gone.
Cleaned Head 2.jpg

Cleaned Head.jpg

Grooves on all 3 cylinders
Grooves 3.jpg

Valves
Valve stems.jpg

Valve polishing, it done to ensure smoothness around the valve using a paste
Valve polish.jpg

Finally the porting of intake manifold.
Porting.jpg

Thread Starter #128
If the valves stay on for longer or for more duration the one of the cycles would get affected.If the intake cycle is longer then the exhaust cycle would be shorter.

You would be getting more air fuel mix in but the shorter exhaust cycle won't let them escape.

You would be compromising on some aspect depending on the cycle that's shortened.Either less torque or less high end power.

This is mainly due to the single overhead camshaft design limitations.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Here are some detailed pic's and info of the process before grooves.

Need to remove the head cap, valves, cam shaft, timing belt, pulleys, timing belt tension-er, throttle body, etc.

I have even ported the intake manifold, I have used a normal drill gun using a grinding bit to smooth-en the surface.

I have used 3m's carb cleaner to clean all the carbon deposits in the intake manifold and the engine head, later I started to groove using a triangle file, I have made 3 grooves per cylinder 3 mm deep.

After this again I had to wash all the things again due to the aluminum powder which came from filing the grooves.

After doing all these it is mandatory to change the head gasket. I had bought a gasket kit kit which contains all the gaskets, I have change all the gaskets, head gasket, intake manifold gasket, thermostat valve gasket, throttle body gasket, head cover gasket.

Need to clean the spark plugs, etc.
Finally flushed the engine oil and coolant. Then filled it up by Shell Helix Fully synthetic oil and Castrol coolant.

Total cost - 2000 rs incl of all gaskets, coolant and oil extra (as I had to change the oil)

Varun , is that full rebuilt of the engine ?
how much does that cost you
man am thinking to do that but its just too expensive for me
I asked that guy and he was like 3000 dollars ! and thats like 1.6 lac INR

don;t know what to do [frustration]

anyways you got a gem as you have that much mileage

No it wasn't a whole engine re-build.

I had just taken off the head, Cost involved is not much.

For removing and cleaning it costed me 2k, and for the gasket, 3m carb cleaner and other gaskets around 1k. I also changed the engine oil and filter which came upto 3.5k.

Total around 6k, here oil can be excluded if the oil is in good condition.

what man!
100 dollars all up thats so cheap ( 100 dollars = 5400rs)

man you know to take my car's head off its 1500 dollars , to add a new engine (reconditioned one) abt 2500 dollars.

so its cheaper to swap an engine then to fix the existing one.

what man!
100 dollars all up thats so cheap ( 100 dollars = 5400rs)

man you know to take my car's head off its 1500 dollars , to add a new engine (reconditioned one) abt 2500 dollars.

so its cheaper to swap an engine then to fix the existing one.
OT, i must have to think about opening a garage there [evil]

Some more pic's after cleaning the engine head..
Superb post, excellent pictures. Your pictures are really amazing & that Video on pistons too. Thanks a lot, keep posting more.

My doubt:
In case an older 800's engine head is opened, Should we change all these complete Gasket kit, coolant, may be oil (if old) what else may have to be replaced? I guess grooves are for younger/somewhat good condition engines right? So old cars have no effect of grooving?

Thanks,

It is not that grooves can't be done on cars which are aged / which have done 80K + kms. It can be done. If the oil is good no need of changing it. May be if coolant is flushed you need to change it .

Regarding the gaskets, yes its better to change all the gaskets. Need not to worry as you get gasket kit form carb 800, just 280 rs (it contains almost 20 different gaskets).

The effect needs to checked if you are willing to do it ? Ha Ha [lol]

Top Bottom