Grooves For Engines

no, he has done it on late 80s and lots of 90s cars also.

and he is clearly mentioning that it can be done on any damn car !!

its simple because, its not about carb or FEP. its about AFM's (air fuel mixture) motion and compression. so this things will take place in cylinder, you dont have to do anything in other parts of engine.

i am trying to reach him either by phone or email, lets hope he reply ASAP , will surely update here whats conclusion.
Hope below will clear lot of things

Somender Singh garudarad1@rediffmail.com
4:34 AM (15 hours ago)

to me
Hello Mr Jayadev,

i am happy to know your interests.. The attachments will throw more light on the subject !

My problem is work men ... i don't have Boys or helpers ~ hence the 2 wheeler section is closed ~ i only work on cars ..one per week ! However when i get the right team i will get back to you.
To carry out my design i need to get the engine on the dining table to de-sect the head and piston ?
All this takes time apart from carrying out the mods !
Regards,
sing !!!

Atachement excerpts:
The cost factor... Charges to carry out this engineering feat on a fairly new MPFI car will cost you approx Rs.13,000 to 14,000 + basic parts & Oils. Other factors such as ~ Present condition of your car, make & model will determine the final costing & time involved. Bigger and more expensive brands of cars would cost much more due to the inputs going into larger engines and sourcing of essential spare parts etc. If other additional jobs are to be taken up, such as engine overhaul / repair, etc., would all add-up as Extra Costs & + Time involved to complete the job to satisfaction.

This technology is better suited to later model MPFI & CRDI low-run or new cars rather than the older carburetor versions. We have carried out hundreds of such design changes on a variety of New and well-maintained vehicles including Automatic Transmission cars. Run a google search for Somender Singh to know about our work. Our Workmanship & Experience has a long-standing history of credibility & reputation in the fields of R&D, Racing & Rallying with various Engine development program's in the last 40 + years, further backed by a US Patent held by an Indian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm interesting thread ,i shall ask some Automobile enthusiasts from in & around Mysore & try to get a feed back from someone who has got this done.

Thread Starter #18
That would be great Prads waiting to hear if anyone with a carburetor engine has this mod done and what was the outcome.

here is the doc he has attached with his reply
donno if its right to post it here openly or not,
but it will give you some light about his work.

i have asked about doing it in bullet, if he dont have enough time / man power, i have asked about helping / guiding me for doing the same, waiting for his reply.

Attachments

I think i have driven a 95/96 odd model 800 which this work was done on & it was a bit of a panic scenario cos the car just kept moving more aggressively than even our modern diesel engines do without throttle. The idling was not high either & the car was with my aunt as a rough use car,the person who gave the car did mention some work done on the engine,even when my mom drove it she told me the same,it was just a clutch & brake affair,would hate to drive that thing in traffic,i am not able to get in touch with the person who gave that car at the moment,but i suspect it had this grooves work,cos the idling was not high.

I think i have driven a 95/96 odd model 800 which this work was done on & it was a bit of a panic scenario cos the car just kept moving more aggressively than even our modern diesel engines do without throttle. The idling was not high either & the car was with my aunt as a rough use car,the person who gave the car did mention some work done on the engine,even when my mom drove it she told me the same,it was just a clutch & brake affair,would hate to drive that thing in traffic,i am not able to get in touch with the person who gave that car at the moment,but i suspect it had this grooves work,cos the idling was not high.
thats surely clutch and throttle issue, pls ask the owner about FE, and tell us more about pickup etc.

also, i have asked somender sir about guiding me to make groves in royal enfield and here is mail reply from somender sir ,

"
The only thing i can suggest Dhruv ~ is check all the info about grooving on the net pix included ~ And do it by your self !
i am involved in my own self funded R&D which keeps me spinning and dazed !!
All the best !
sing !!!
"

so, we must have to DIY for it, as he is very busy and can't guide us.
i request all members to post pics of pre and post grooved heads here , so i can understand it. and i am sure going to make grooves on my RE soon.

The only thing i can suggest Dhruv ~ is check all the info about grooving on the net pix included ~ And do it by your self !
i am involved in my own self funded R&D which keeps me spinning and dazed !!
All the best !
sing !!!
That is Alarming!!!
ANyway..
Please do post the dimension i.e length and depth of the groves if you come across any reference.

I am sure too much depth with make engine crack and too less would be effort wasted.
Thankfully

Grooves for engine, DIY! You must have a proper workshop, and experience for that.
Totally agree with Jayadev's opinion.
I have a query.
By making grooves, aren't we disturbing the compression ratio? I mean by making grooves we are reducing the compression pressure! [confused]. And in diesel engines, higher compression means better combustion.

@nozzlering,
yes, it need workshop and i have that :)
grooves will increase compression ratio (as per mr. singh)

curruntly i will not work on diesel engine, will work on petrol only.

BTW
its always better to do mind-stroming like this, it will improve our knowledge and will point some issues which might be untouched by others.
so , will be thankful to all contributors, and i will update about grooves here regularly, as i am going to make grooves in royal enfields.

@nozzlering,
yes, it need workshop and i have that :)
grooves will increase compression ratio (as per mr. singh)
Yes. You are right. Making grooves will improve compression ratio. I was making wrong calculation. I was wrong. But, as Jayadev said, how much? Getting the optimum groove is the question!!
And by making groove,
  • We are making the cylinder head weak.
  • If not finished properly, we are actually making a stress rich zone. This might lead to material failure.
We need to keep these things in mind.

Last edited:
Got from some where
The large squish clearance is not necessary, the benefits will be realized with the 0.040” clearance, I have run them even tighter with the piston touching the head at RPM.

I’m convinced that the engine will be more detonation resistant with the grooves and a wider squish clearance. This goes against most current thinking with N/A engines. I recommend 0.050” to 0.055” with the engines I’m involved with. The interesting thing is we are seeing improved performance and increased engine reliability with the wide clearance. It appears the piston is more stable in the bore.
here attached some grooves img.
(images are big coz, others can see clearly what are the grooves actually )

Attachments

Top Bottom