Grooves For Engines

Thread Starter #46
It would seem there would be some sort of leakage of gases between the two surfaces.

There has to be some logic behind this since it does not have any adverse effects.

i have some confusion,

if we groove it , then what happened to the gasket (packing) ??

i mean, due to slot (groove) , the combustion will directly get in touch with gasket !! (thats my assumption)
You dont need to extend the groove to gasket area isnt that simple ?. just mark the boundries with gasket in its place!

Thread Starter #48
If you look at the pictures some of them have come onto the gasket area.

Need to make an outline using the gasket so as to not overshoot the groove.

It has to be in the area where the piston pushes up towards the valves.

So the piston and the gasket can be used for marking the area.

Last edited:

this treatment is working, i have read some positive reviews about it on.

but grooves are very different thing. with grooves, the fuel will burn nearly completely, also, it will help to reduce engine knocking & slow idealing, so it will directly increase FE. so, overall Grooving is a very good idea if we succeeded !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #51
That it true, grooves help in more ways than one.

Just need to be careful.

Take all the measurements twice and cut only once.

Thread Starter #53
Check the video where Somender Singh speaks regarding the very same question.

If it wasn't discovered in the car makers R&D labs they won't use it.

@Prads: Have you gotten hold of the guy who gave you that car with grooves in it?

@Prads: Have you gotten hold of the guy who gave you that car with grooves in it?
I have got hold of his name & number yet to ask him as he was not reachable,car was in Mysore previously so i suspect this car has the work done on it.

Anyone suspect the grooving has the effect as a 4-2-1 header? ,they give good low end torque as back pressure is increased ,but cars with low torque have reported good mileage when low end torque is increased.

How does a grooved engine perform above low rpms?I mean we will need to go above 1200 rpms right cos our cars are not Locomotives.

I have got hold of his name & number yet to ask him as he was not reachable,car was in Mysore previously so i suspect this car has the work done on it.
Please do get in touch with him and post the info here asap.

How does a grooved engine perform above low rpms?I mean we will need to go above 1200 rpms right cos our cars are not Locomotives.
you can see videos of somender singh on youtube, there are some ride vid on it , in which somender singh is riding a car with 500 / 600 rpm and he can easily make it run on 2nd gear also from stationary.

One question. If grooving is so much useful, why don't engines come pre-grooved. After all its more power and better FE!!!!
its mainly due to EGO problem of BIG companies, we are burning more fuel for less power [frustration]

it has positive results.
got this writeup from some forum

The 2 groove head i did was supposed to be text book somender singh, 1 groove pointed at the plug from the squish area aligned between the valves, i had a spare k-jet head that was no use to me so used it for test purposes, i tried a couple of powered ways of cutting the first groove with varying degrees of disaster, hence the triangular file, i realise it cut the grooves a couple of mm to wide at the top, the file is far bigger than i'd recomend a fit person to use but because it was large it meant i could slowly do the job myself, there seemed to be a sizeable squish area alongside the plug and on reflection decided to put a smaller one there as well, no scientific basis for it at all, it just looked right, a quick rub with a brass brush and on it went, i didn't even clean the plugs, if the grooves were going to work they'd do it in spite of me, not because of me.

First impressions were pretty underwhelming, what you don't realise is that you can now drive your car like a diesel but it takes a while before your brain registers the fact that 30 mph in 5th is quite normal for a grooved head, just the job for pootling around in traffic, that's one of the problems with it, your car won't sound the same or drive the same, it's much much smoother, it's quieter and sounds more like a six than a four, the volvo harshness has gone, it's somehow more refined.

I couldn't get it to ping/knock even at 30 degrees advance, i had to advance it that far with the engine running to get it to start, the kick back is wicked anything past around 23 degrees, we finally had some 90 degree weather and i got a slight low ve ping at 30 degrees, obviously i only advanced it that far to test knock prevention.

I had to lean the carb out after doing the grooves to get the tickover down, this made no difference to the actual running of the engine, the carb was brand new when i bought it 6 months ago and had new jets etc for a 2.3 as it was off a b18/b19?, i'd estimate, and i've run the grooves a good while now that fuel economy is up 10% at least.

My wife likes it, i'm in the process of teaching her to drive, the grooves make it virtually stall proof, great for a nervous learner or a bloke with a gammy leg.

the grooves actually call for having the c/r raised or turning the boost up to realise the full benefits, all my tests were done on 95 ron unleaded, i think thats about equivalent to 88 ish american, it's normal supermarket piss anyway nothing special.

Tickover = idle, there is no idle adjustment left on the carb so the only way i can get it down is by leaning the mixture.

95 ron is the europe wide standard for ordinary petrol, 98 ron is the better stuff and the race petrol is about 110 but thats also leaded.

here are questions :

1. How deep do the grooves have to be for the most benefit?
2. What is the length that it should be?
3. Where should I place the first groove?
4. How far apart do the grooves have to be?

and answers on some forum
I cut the initial groove 0.080" deep with a 1/16" ball end mill parallel with the deck surface. Then I deepen
and widen the groove near the chamber cavity with a hand held file.

1. How deep do the grooves have to be for the most benefit?
0.040" to 0.080" deep is all you need, measure deck thickness, if it's thin go with the minimum.

2. What is the length that it should be?
Near the head gasket opposite the plug to the chamber cavity.

3. Where should I place the first groove?
With a two valve head,point the groove between the valves.

4. How far apart do the grooves have to be?
One is all you need.

Thread Starter #60
You're welcome Jayadev.

Hope we can see some actual cars with grooves.

Hard info and pics as well.

Should be interesting.

Top Bottom