Government Proposes Fitness Tests For Private Vehicles

Thread Starter #1
If implemented, mandatory fitness checks for private vehicles over 2 years old will keep pollution levels under check. While ensuring safer and breakdown free motoring.
The Delhi government finally seems to be waking up to the threat of environment pollution from the expanding private vehicle pool in the city.

Based on an EPCA (environment pollution control authority) recommendation, the transport department is putting together a proposal for mandatory fitness checks of all private vehicles. At present, only commercial vehicles need to get an annual fitness check done at authorized regional transport offices.

A senior government official said, “Discussions are on with the EPCA about the various parameters before the policy is finalized. The fitness test, called the inspection and maintenance test, will be an annual feature, and will have to be done at authorized centres only.”

To ensure effective compliance, the transport department has suggested making the I&M, the norm abroad, mandatory for renewal of vehicle insurance in Delhi. “The idea is that insurance will be renewed only if the fitness certificate is available,” said the official.

Talking about the proposal, Anumita Roychowdhury, of the EPCA, said, “At present, only those vehicles that are more than 15 years old, go in for fitness checks. However, a detailed vehicle certification system of private vehicles of a certain year will not only check pollution, but also ensure safety standards.”

According to Roychowdhury, the EPCA has recommended that the policy be in place within this year. “Implementation would start once the policy is in place,” said the environmentalist. The EPCA, she said, was hoping that the fitness test would also impact fuel efficiency, besides keeping emissions within limits in the city.

Since there are over 60 lakh private vehicles in the city, the transport department has suggested roping in car manufacturing workshops as well as pollution under control (PUC) centres for the fitness check, said a source. “For the first two years after a new purchase, cars don’t need fitness checks.

Thereafter, these tests can be done at workshops and other authorized centres,” said the official. He admitted that the department would need to assess its capacity to be able to conduct the fitness tests before a cutoff year for the fitness certificates was fixed. Roychowdhury said, “Filters will need to be in place before the policy is finalized. Decisions regarding what kind of vehicles should go for the annual fitness test, a check-list of what kind of tests are needed for road worthiness as well as compliance strategies, will be taken in the next two months.”

This is a great move i still see many old private vehicles in Bangalore which emits more smoke than a chain smoker.

Source:
Govt proposes fitness tests for private vehicles| Zigwheels.com

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Govt proposes fitness tests for private vehicles.

yeah like commercial people get their fitness test [anger] most of the trucks and buses and even commercial cars emits a lot of smoke. these things are done just on papers not in real life.

They should first check their old vehicles (Govt. jeeps, Ambassadors....) running in Govt. offices and Police. Probably those are the most degraded and badly maintained vehicles they would encounter.

Thread Starter #5

yeah like commercial people get their fitness test [anger] most of the trucks and buses and even commercial cars emits a lot of smoke. these things are done just on papers not in real life.
The rule is good but the implementation of the rule is very questionable.

Most of the public transport vehicles are at their end of life. But still happily running on the roads putting themselves and others also in danger.

I have seen many cabs where there would be nothing left out in it but still on the road, Gov't should take strict actions on them.

Thread Starter #7
Most of the public transport vehicles are at their end of life. But still happily running on the roads putting themselves and others also in danger.

I have seen many cabs where there would be nothing left out in it but still on the road, Gov't should take strict actions on them.
that's right most of these vehicles are in a very bad state, Our RTO need's to properly follow the procedure before handing out FC's to them

If all the government owned vehicles were in proper condition, it would make a significant difference in pollution control. 2 years is too short of a period.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
but the government doesn't want to do anything. they say plant trees , reduce electricity usage ( electricity generation causes the maximum air pollution ) but everyday i see street lamps turned on in the afternoon.

no one bother's to turn them off.

bad roads causes massive traffic jams.

increase fuel usage - increase demand - same supply - increase price
increase engine running - more pollution.

even if they take care of the roads , many problems will be solved.

if there are any constructions on road , all the wreckage stays there for a month causing more traffic jams.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Fitness test includes emission test.

I looked at this article. And I was amazed to look at all the things mentioned. Just go throught it and see what all should be working :/

http://www.automotiveproductsfinder.com/Coverstory/CS2011/Aug/CS02.asp
There no working tail lights in any of the trucks. Some don't evem have proper heas lights.

No rear bumper or the rear guard. Wipers , haha they must ne kidding. 100 year old tyres. A friend of mine told me that in order to cut cost they put EXTRA RUBBER on the tyre :/

Everyday in the city police stops several trucks but they just check the delivery papers and nothing else.

Just gone through the article,here in my home town most of the commercial vehicle doesnt meet all the requirements as said in the article but still they get fc[surprise]
If this rule is implemented it only helps cops to make some bucks not the environment.

Thread Starter #13
90% of the trucks which ply on our highway's wont have a working tail lamps or the indicator, Is it that simple to get FC?

90% of the trucks which ply on our highway's wont have a working tail lamps or the indicator, Is it that simple to get FC?
Ya dude its just been simple,As i asked my friend how you people get FC for such a scrap vehicle he said just bribe the RTO person then he gonna give FC without even inspecting the vehicle.

This is just another source of " under the table income" for babus & mantris. Before checking private cars, these babus & mantris should do a 'Self-Worthiness Test', I am sure 99% will fail [lol].

Top Bottom