Got Cure for the Jeep Bug Bite: Mahindra Bolero Di 4x4

Thread Starter #1
Dear mates I took delivery of my Bolero di 4x4 last Sunday.

I had been bitten by the jeep bug long back. I was drooling on the photos and video clips in the net to satisfy my passion which was growing day by day. The final kick that made me decide to buy one was my trip to kudajadri in kollur mookambika. We hired a Mahindra jeep to make the ride to kudajadri from mookambika. It was one hell of a ride through out. there was no road literally. I decided to get a jeep for myself then and there. GETTING A PARTNER- told wifey about it and the response “ you are mad “ what for do you need a jeep.

Also our car is only I year old. Wasting our hard earned money etc etc. better to look for another mad man for support. Who else other than my pal suresh who will come to hell with me if need be. Also a jeep and bullet mad guy. He was also looking for a jeep. Told him about my decision and he was game. And we decided to share the jeep as both of us didn’t need a jeep for daily use. Next had to get wifey’s approval too - brainwashed her by showing the jeep travalogues of ladak and other exotic places and she was hooked.
WHICH VEHICLE – drove my friends Thar and decided against it –

1) not value for money

2)jump seats in the back not comfortable

3) soft top

4x4 was not negotiable. Scorpio, tata safari, xuv 500 were all beyond our budget.

So it had to be bolero.4x4

So booked bolero di 4x4 on june 10th. Waiting period was 2 months.

Took delivery of our brute last Sunday.

THE SHOWROOM EXPERIENCE – nothing much to write home about. The sales guy handed me the key and wished me luck. No sweets, no ribbon on the vehicle, no photos from their side. Just take your vehicle and leave. Five litres of fuel was in the tank. Went to the nearest fuel bunk and filled 20litres of diesel.

PDI – I had done the PDI as per the suggestions on our forum. I missed this which was picked up by my son- the corner of the front left head light was broken. Promised to be replaced during next service. The odo reading was 1800 kms.

The manager told me that the vehicles are being driven down from pune hence the high odo reading. There were no other signs that the vehicle had been used before hence I was satisfied.

THE RIDE – after taking delivery I drove straight to Calicut my native place. My home is atop a small hill and the road is very bad . I used to park my vento at the base and give a call to dad who comes in his aveo uva to pick me up. This time he was waiting for my call. I surprised him by riding straight to my home. The look of surprise on his and moms face was worth very ounce in gold.

After riding hatchbacks and sedans the handling of the vehicle need some time to get used to. Also it doesn’t have power steering and ac. initially it was difficult to maneuver the vehicle as the steering is tight. I have developed bulging muscles on my arms and shoulder in these few days.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Got the cure for the jeep bug bite

congrats on the cure
congrats on your bolero 4 wheel drive.
What was the actual on road cost of your vehicle.

Congrts on your BOLERO[:)]

You are really lucky that you have a true friend who stood by you. never let him down.

My uncle has a bolero SLX. but this looks longer than that. also why no PS or AC? is there no PS on 4x4? also the top looks different too..

anyway the best choice. i too have a WILLYS bug bite... started when i was a kid, my fater was in KSEB (Kerala state electricity board) they had those fantastic LHD Willys and MM540.
Last place i worked they had an MM540 (4X4) for auction it went from around 25k, i did not went for it as it needed heavy work (i approximated 1.5L)

Last edited:

this one looks different than what i see in mumbai. whats the difference exactly? variant?

congrats for your bolero though.

Congrats' on your Bolero she look's gorgeous, i Didn't know that the facelift version came with 4X4 option, any plans to get the PS and AC installed?

Hearty Congratulations Smooth Rider, while you have got the cure, you are also guilty of spreading the bug [;)] , its been in my list to do , will follow your thread closely.

Also i am extremely impressed with the brainwashing techniques you have employed, We shall all immensely benefit from it [:)]

Enjoy many a miles of safe driving with this no nonsense abuse friendly 4x4!

Congratulations for your new Bolero...would like to read your travel experiences to places like Ladakh in your 4x4 beauty.

Congrats on the Bolero. I just visited the showroom today to TD the Thar and Bolero. The guys had no idea about a 4x4 Bolero. they told me it was discontinued long ago.
BTW does the new Bolero 4x4 have a rigid front axle like the old one or an IFS like the Thar?

Congrats for your 4WD Bolero Smooth Rider. As Iron Rock said u are guilty of spreading the bug. Expecting a detailed ownership review from you.Its been 2 months I am searching for used Boleros. I am in a dilemma to go for a used Bolero SLX or new 4WD. I am concerned about the 4WD with no PS and AC. Can it be done after??

I am in a dilemma to go for a used Bolero SLX or new 4WD.
I'd say go for the SLE if you're going for a new 2WD. If looking for old try for the ZLX or Storm. However the best would be a new 4WD. My pick would be a 4WD Camper if your state allows Private registration.

I am concerned about the 4WD with no PS and AC. Can it be done after??
Both can be done.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12

rajvel the on road price is 6.8 lakhs.
kannan 4x4 comes in 2versions di- which has high roof ( as mine ) and LX model which has flat roof and has ps and ac. but alas this model has been discontinued. the di model is being made to order for govt departments only and the sales guys are reluctant to take orders. its BS3 engine hence can't be registered in alll cities.
visran ac i will definitely get fitted. ps i am not sure as i have adjusted well to this vehicle.
P3T3R - whats rigid axle and IFS ? iam new to jeeps and 4X4.
ASIR initialy i too was afraid that my decision to buy a bolero without ps would backfire. but man after riding about 500kms till today i have adjusted well. also iam building up bulging muscles in my upper torso.a[;)] and today iam back from off roading in the aralam wild life sanctuary in kannur district. shall post a t'logue.

Attachments

Hello Smooth Rider,
Congrats on your new acquisition.
Nice pics !
Considering the on road price of 6.8 lakhs it seems to be a tempting deal since it offers great value for the money we spend considering it to be 4X4.
Regards
Vishnu

Top Bottom