Gokarna trip - June’11

Thread Starter #1
[As mentioned in my intro earlier, the below is a bit old thread but could be useful for some[thumbsup]]​

Finally, the day arrived… we planned to leave Bangalore towards Gokarna on early Saturday morning. I logged out a bit early from office on Friday evening so that I could manage to get some good sleep. But as predicted, I couldn’t sleep because of the excitement I had for the trip so ended up sleeping only for a couple of hours. Woke up at 3 ish and managed to get ready by 4 am and left to my friend’s place and there after to join the remaining ones who were supposed to meet in the jalahalli cross.
At 5:30 am Harsha, Ajay, Santosh and myself – four of us along with my P220F and Harsha’s Karizma were set to hit the highway. The climate was cool and we wanted to cover the maximum distance before the climate gets too hot.​

The route : Bangalore – Tumkur – Arasikere – Badravathi – Shimoga – Sagara – Kumta – Gokarna. (500 kms)​
DSC02929R.jpg
NH4
DSC02923R.jpg
Ajay and myself
DSC02925R.jpg
Harsha and Santosh – the excitement!
DSC01934.jpg
Definitely male!
We reached tumkur by 7 and headed towards NH 206 and continued our ride. Initially the roads were in a bad state after the bypass but it improved as we proceeded further. We maintained a good pace along with short breaks every 50 kms and finally reached Shimoga by noon. We always prefer to have food in a dhaba than the usual restraunts so we were on a look out for a good one and finally found it at the entrance of the new four lane road towards shimoga city. Unfortunately, we had to wait for a long time for our order because we had reached too early and the dhaba was not geared up to serve the customers so we ended up spending close to 2hrs in there. We had food, filled fuel for the bikes too and we hit highway again and headed towards sagar. The sun didn’t show his mercy but the roads were good so we managed to maintain a good pace of 80kms.​
DSC03010R.jpg
I am moto cross inspired and I love to glide though the curves on the highways upto the extent I hear the screech sound from the center stand…:D
During that speed, to my shock a kid with his bicycle suddenly decided to cross the road unaware of the vehicles coming towards him. I sensibly applied the brakes within and in secs I halted with a loud noise from the tyres. To my surprise, I stopped right in front of him without any disaster! The people around started scolding the kid but I proceeded without a word since I was happy that I got a good control in my 220 and the rear disc was really helpful.​

We reached jog around 3 pm but didn’t visit the falls as we wanted to reach our destination before dark since we didn’t book our accommodation.
DSC03040R.jpg
Near Jog…
Finally, we reached Gokarna around 5.30pm. We headed towards the cudle beach to look out for an accommodation.
DSC03050R.jpg
Cudle beach
To reach cudle beach, one has to take a right turn on the OM beach road. First time goers will find it difficult to find the route since the place is isolated without any sign boards. There is no road which goes upto the cudle beach. The vehicles need to be parked half a km away from the beach and the road till the parking lot is not motorable but still people do some off road to reach the spot. It’s worse if one has to reach there after dark since you don’t get a glimpse of light.

We reached the cudle beach resort and booked the beach side facing room for Rs.1500/- per night. The room was good as it had the direct view of the beautiful beach, cool breeze and the sounds of the waves….its a travelers delight!
DSC03114R.jpg
The Cudle resort.
There is a shack within the resort which serves some good food. The menu may be expensive during season. We partied a couple of hours and dozed off after a day long travel.
DSC03115R.jpg
The shack
Day 2 – It was a lazy morning. We woke up late, had a light breakfast and spent the rest of the day in the beach…
DSC03169R.jpg
DSC03096R.jpg
DSC03137R.jpg
Day 3 – We went to the Gokarna town which is around 5 kms. Had a stroll around the town and visited the temple. There are many hotels which offer good sea food and the prices are very cheap. From there we headed towards OM beach which is next to the cudle beach. The speed boat experience was worth the drive!
DSC03192R.jpg
DSC03201R.jpg
OM Beach
DSC03203R.jpg
DSC03224R.jpg
Speed Boat
DSC03222R.jpg

Back to the beach resort and checked out around 3 pm. We left to Bangalore and our route was:
Gokarna – Devimane(ghat section) – Sirsi – Islur – Bankapur – Haveri – Chitradurga – Tumkur – Bangalore

Devimane ghat section was amazing. It had some scenic views and the climate was cool at 4 pm. I was back to my moto cross stuffJ
DSC03248R.jpg
Devimane Ghat
DSC03247R.jpg
DSC03259R.jpg
The road conditions were good except for a few villages near bankapur. By the time we reached NH4 it was already 6pm. We were able to maintain a good pace on the NH. Gave a couple of chai breaks and were able to reach Bangalore by midnight.

The experience we gain in bikes is unmatched. The total distance covered over the trip for 3 days was 1200 kms!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Trip buddy,[clap]

I love this kind of bike trips.even i too done some small trips for 200kms.

I like the pic of fisherman catching the fishes & your P-220 & Karizma looks stunning in last pic.

How much the Karizma & P-220 drunk for the whole trip?

Hi Serrao, Welcome to TAI and nice set of pics. I like Gokarana beaches. Dint you people plan to cover Karwar stretch as well ?

A word of caution: 137 km/hr on a two wheeler is not a safe speed to cruise.

Happy and safe motoring [thumbsup]

zengetz

Suspended
Serrao welcome to TAI ! Awesome pics and awesome way to kick things off here at TAI with a travelogue. [thumbsup]

Welcome abroad Serrao. Great start at TAI I must say. 137 on a bike is a cool figure to attain but is not risky !

All the best and keep in touch for any support with us.

That was a great review on touring especially with bikes and that too 500kms!!?
Congrats with your top speed but be sure to have your eyes concentrating everytime.
The photos were cool especially the Falls and roads.

Hi Serro!!!
It was exciting to read about your trip. Pictures have come up nice.

Apart from that 137KMPH on Pulsar 220 is awesomelly cool. I guess and hope that its your top speed and not cruise speed [;)] (I share the genuine concern.)

But 1200 Km in 3 days hats off to your appetite!!! [clap]
Thanks for sharing your experience and keep posting for future trips.

-PC1984

Thread Starter #9
Nice Trip buddy,

I love this kind of bike trips.even i too done some small trips for 200kms.

I like the pic of fisherman catching the fishes & your P-220 & Karizma looks stunning in last pic.

How much the Karizma & P-220 drunk for the whole trip?
Thank you! each drank around 2.5K worth of petrol...[glasses]

Hi Serrao, Welcome to TAI and nice set of pics. I like Gokarana beaches. Dint you people plan to cover Karwar stretch as well ?

A word of caution: 137 km/hr on a two wheeler is not a safe speed to cruise.

Happy and safe motoring
No, we had a limited period of time so decided to spend most of the time in the beach...[:D].

Thread Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments. Sorry for the late response(I was out of station). Yes, I know the top speed was risky enough.. and wouldnt try again - as I have started revving my k10;)

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments. Sorry for the late response(I was out of station). Yes, I know the top speed was risky enough.. and wouldnt try again - as I have started revving my k10;)
Then come up with an beautiful ownership review buddy!

Re: Hello from Roshan!

hi roshan, nice trip to gokarna enjoyed reading it lovely pic's. by the way, you passed by my home town shimoga if we had known each other could have met and said hello maybe had lunch with me even i share the same passion of long distance bike ride's. did not have enough of it so ended up doing a lot of bike rally's 3. k 1000 and 3 coffee 500 and a lot of club rally's. that's why i owned a lot of bike's had a modified shogun 18bhp and a stock 14bhp and a stock RX100. finally stopped when sadly two wheeler rallying was taken of the calender. now very intrested in car's, present own a hyundai accent petrol keep up the bike ride's drive safe dude and i never took a toss on a rally or got injured.

Thread Starter #13
Thank you silverstreak...its the same here. I have been on a lot of bike trips and finally done with it. Now switched on to cars! The driving experience is amazing.. Also, I would like to tell you my native is shimoga(hosanagar)[:)]. I had been there last week as well. Seriously, the climate is too hot over there! I had been to thirthahalli too. The road from shimoga to thirthahalli through OT road is very good!!

Hey man.... excelent trip well documented.

137 k/hr is stretching it a bit too far but good that you are in control of the situation. Only point of concern whether the pillion riders were helmetted up or not.

Anyways great photos and the two bikes look ideally paired.

Top Bottom